10 week old DDR, When could I start training for IPO? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 55Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

10 week old DDR, When could I start training for IPO?

Hello,
I am new here. I grew up having GSD's and Rottweilers, it has been ten years since my last dog. My kids are old enough now to be able to work with a dog and it is something that I've always loved, so I researched breeders and purchased an 8 week old DDR with titled champion parents in an attempt to get the best genes I could afford to work.
My goal is to have a very social family/animal friendly pet, while helping him to meet his full potential.
I am getting very mixed messages from the training resources I've found near my home as to when we should start bite work or any kind of "tug of war" or flirt poles.
After speaking to one trainer today I jumped online and bought all the starting tools, but then after talking to another trainer I am conflicted and am wondering if I should just leave it all in the box and start with basic obedience training.
I am sure that everyone believes that their pups are "special", but I would feel guilty if I didn't push him to every bit of his potential.
I've had him two weeks so far and I just don't want to create any issues to have to rehab down the road. Thank you.
Attached Images

RZZNSTR likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 12:18 AM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

If your goal is IPO, have you not joined a club already? The usual way is to join a club as soon as you get your puppy, and follow the club's training protocol.

I would not do any training at all without the guidance of other experienced IPO people. You may inadvertently train bad habits that will become your dog's foundation that could be very difficult to undo at a later date. I've seen many people on this forum start tug work on their own with the idea that they will be ahead of the game once they join a club, but they are teaching their dog to be hectic and to bite shallow due to a lack of experience.

There are as many ways to train and start a puppy as there are trainers. Pick one club or trainer and stick with it, or you will only confuse yourself and your pup.

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 12:24 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Grace View Post
My goal is to have a very social family/animal friendly pet, while helping him to meet his full potential.
Not saying your dog may not turn out this way, but you do know that GSDs are usually naturally aloof and many do not like strangers touching them, no? It's a breed thing, genetics.
Jason Grace likes this.

If you need equipment to maintain control of your dog, understand you’re hanging on to your dog’s body because you’ve lost his mind!

Suzanne Clothier
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 12:25 AM
Elite Member

Try finding a club in your area that does IPO. Take your time with him. If you push too hard, you both might not enjoy it. Look into Michael Ellis and the power of food, and the power of tug.
I'm curious about your dogs pedigree (I'm just learning). Could you post up who the dam and sire are?
Jason Grace likes this.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 12:27 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineAreWorkingline View Post
Not saying your dog may not turn out this way, but you do know that GSDs are usually naturally aloof and many do not like strangers touching them, no? It's a breed thing, genetics.
Especially if he's DDR?
Jason Grace likes this.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 12:31 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudpump View Post
Especially if he's DDR?
I wouldn't say that.
Jason Grace likes this.

If you need equipment to maintain control of your dog, understand you’re hanging on to your dog’s body because you’ve lost his mind!

Suzanne Clothier
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 12:42 AM
Crowned Member

As others said, get with a club now and do what they say. It's never too early to join a club. You'll learn lots of do's and don'ts from other members and dogs, as well as get the help you need. When I started with my first GSD, she was 11 weeks old and I thought I already had a great start. I quickly found out that even though she had an understanding of "sit", "down" and so on, I was teaching them completely wrong. So I had to re-teach everything. It was very hard to break the habits I had already created.
onyx'girl and Jason Grace like this.

T17 Working Dogs-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 12:43 AM

Join a club. Follow their training protocol. Be patient - rushing the training won't get you where you want to go.

Good luck!
Jason Grace likes this.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 12:57 AM
Crowned Member

what are his lines?

Carmen

post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 08:09 AM Thread Starter

Parents

Sire:Police K-9 Justice is a fully certified Police K-9. His specialty is in explosive Detection. K-9 Justice has a world champion pedigree and is 100 Percent DDR dog.

Dam:Two time state agility champion. (Czech)
Hopper Budaka Vomperrysberg

I have tried to post a link to his parents but I am too new to do so. The breeder is perrysgermanshepherds .com, which will allow you to see the information.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page