Grimm 4 months now on bite wedge - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

Grimm 4 months now on bite wedge

Criticism and advice is welcome I'm super green at this bite work stuff.
https://youtu.be/mYRoq-_o5lY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 08:56 PM

He's 4 months, he's gotta win more
mycobraracr and Julian G like this.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, so basically let him have the wedge for a parade lap or two more often?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 10:20 PM
Crowned Member

You should get rid of the sleeve and stick, never mind all the flipping him around and lifting and spinning him, and quit pawing his face when he's on the bite. Get a tug, teach him to target and grip, and out without screaming in his face.If you pet him, make it calming, not harassing. Your also forcing him into sloppy obedience the way you're adding it into the conflict you're already creating. Bad bite work is something you want to avoid, not do yourself.

Doc

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 10:49 PM
Crowned Member

You never allowed the pup to counter either....Pups need some prey zigzags and retreats when good barking happens the reward is given. 4 months the puppy is teething, that wedge is way too hard for the age/teeth.
I agree with Steves comments

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18

Last edited by onyx'girl; 11-16-2016 at 10:51 PM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 12:05 AM Thread Starter

Ok..... so, to much to soon...... back up and fill in the gaps. Like I said, REALLY GREEN at this stuff. I train Retrievers and Flushers and find myself telling clients simular suggestions when they're trying to rush puppies. I grew up running gun dogs, and rarely second guess myself when training one. This little guy..... not so much. Lots of conflicting information out there as well. The only group nearby is PSA and that is where most of my contact is with thus far. I've felt like what I've been steered towards could possibly lead to backtracking in order to get the end results, but it seems like a lot of my advice from that circle is to challenge the pup often so later it'll take a truck to rattle his cage. Honestly I'm still in search for a mentor that I mesh with.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 12:19 AM
Crowned Member

I agree with everyone else's comments. Way too much too soon. Definitely stop all the flipping caring and spinning. Let him win! He needs to be empowered and made to think he can take on the world and win.

T17 Working Dogs-

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 10:10 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Hill View Post
Ok..... so, to much to soon...... back up and fill in the gaps. Like I said, REALLY GREEN at this stuff. I train Retrievers and Flushers and find myself telling clients simular suggestions when they're trying to rush puppies. I grew up running gun dogs, and rarely second guess myself when training one. This little guy..... not so much. Lots of conflicting information out there as well. The only group nearby is PSA and that is where most of my contact is with thus far. I've felt like what I've been steered towards could possibly lead to backtracking in order to get the end results, but it seems like a lot of my advice from that circle is to challenge the pup often so later it'll take a truck to rattle his cage. Honestly I'm still in search for a mentor that I mesh with.
Really Clay, you should quit doing your own bite work with him. In that short video you made him hectic, pressured him off a bite, have him coming off now himself and missing, and taught him he's going to lose, then just for good measure you praised him for breaking the platz. As much as you hate to admit it, this stuff isn't the same as training gun dogs. Its different. You don't want conflict between you and your dog. Its good between the helper and your dog, but you have to stay on the same team. Some dogs can handle their owner putting on the sleeve, some can't, but either way you have to keep it to what they can deal with and within your skill set. You should stay at the other end of the line and concentrate on learning that part.
MineAreWorkingline likes this.

Doc

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

"As much as you hate to admit it, this stuff isn't the same as training gun dogs. Its different."

No I don't hate to admit it at all..... **** that's exactly what I am doing.....
All that is being said I've questioned. Hence the "critiques and advice welcome remark"
I'm in middle Georgia and would gladly take references to groups or trainer's anywhere in the state or nearby. I didn't post to hear sunshine, it was posted for advice. I'm pretty thick skinned and actually prefer things not coated in sugar.
cloudpump likes this.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 11:01 AM
Crowned Member

I'm not sure how well this is going to work. Trying from my phone. Take a look at this page. There are some people from Georgia and Tennessee on this list. Feel free to contact them if they are close. They should be able to lead you in the right direction.
http://www.servicedogsofamerica.com/...sdajudges.html
onyx'girl likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page