Opinions on Mals competing in Schutzhund/IPO - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Opinions on Mals competing in Schutzhund/IPO

I am curious as to everyone's opinions on Mals being good Schutzhund/ IPO dogs.

Do you think they are as good for the sport as GSDs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 09:19 PM
Elite Member

I'd say they're decent...
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 09:29 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskeg View Post
I'd say they're decent...
Why do you think only decent?
gsdluvr and cloudpump like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 09:46 PM
Elite Member

Sorry trying to joke. Malinois clearly can excel at IPO. Very flashy, very correct, and they love the work. Get the right one for the job and you'll see they were born for it.
Smithie86, onyx'girl and gsdluvr like this.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 09:50 PM
Elite Member

So if a flashy and correct mal excels at IPO... is it still an appropriate breed test for GSDs?
gsdluvr likes this.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 10:12 PM
Crowned Member

IPO is all about the training anymore, rather than focusing on the heart of the dog.
Mals do excel in this sport, they have raised the bar for the points in judging, IMO.
GSD's can compete with the Mal, in the OB phase, the mal will generally get more points...but in protection and in the tracking, I do believe the GSD shows more of what is natural instinct, and the training is not the focus quite so much.
Mals tend to be more handler focused too....so tracking on their own with that line let out could be more of a challenge. But, I don't have or train a mal, this is just my own observation and opinion.
voodoolamb likes this.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 10:22 PM
Banned

From what I've seen Mals are quicker and more intense than GSDs. Some think of it as a good thing, and some think it's a bad thing. Depends on what exactly you're doing with one.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 10:24 PM
Deb
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
IPO is all about the training anymore, rather than focusing on the heart of the dog.
Mals do excel in this sport, they have raised the bar for the points in judging, IMO.
GSD's can compete with the Mal, in the OB phase, the mal will generally get more points...but in protection and in the tracking, I do believe the GSD shows more of what is natural instinct, and the training is not the focus quite so much.
Mals tend to be more handler focused too....so tracking on their own with that line let out could be more of a challenge. But, I don't have or train a mal, this is just my own observation and opinion.

So Mals are more mechanical, better at following explicit directions where the GSD is better at instinctual things where they aren't necessarily following more than a single given command, but more thinking on their own...
gsdluvr likes this.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 10:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb View Post
So Mals are more mechanical, better at following explicit directions where the GSD is better at instinctual things where they aren't necessarily following more than a single given command, but more thinking on their own...
I think that sounds about right, from what I've seen at least. Some say this shows that GSDs have more personality, and might take a second to think about it. I have said that this might be a reason why LE and military are using Mals more than GSDs, because they are quicker to follow a command with intensity. Same with the KNPV.
onyx'girl and gsdluvr like this.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 11:51 PM
Crowned Member

Mals do excel in IPO. I agree with Jane that they are a lot of the reason for the shifts in judging and other trends in IPO and breeding. I don't believe they are better than GSD's, just different.
gsdluvr likes this.

T17 Working Dogs-

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page