IPO 3 tracking - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-02-2016, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

IPO 3 tracking

I am looking for a solution to a slight problem with my tracking. After indicating the article, my dog always platz and looked straight ahead now on my last track she is doing a platz indicating correctly but will slightly turn staying in her platz to look at me. This has occurred as I reward for article indication. She is a great V tracker but I do not want to lose these points as you never know what will happen on trial day.

Looking for a solution that does not involve another person rewarding her. Some have suggested being very close to her when indicating article. and then slowly lengthen the distance from her.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions

L Satov
Carmspack Journey
IPO3 HOT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-02-2016, 02:26 PM
Crowned Member

do you straddle her or go to either side when walking up during training? If you are rewarding from the same side every time, it may be a habit instilled for her to look.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-02-2016, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

good point, I have straddled her but mostly approach from the same side. I can change this up and see what happens. do you suggest approaching from the other side for some time, and straddle and then switch it up and be very random with my approach.

I guess I should start close to her when she is indicating and then slowly lengthen my distance as well

L Satov
Carmspack Journey
IPO3 HOT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-02-2016, 03:36 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

That is what I do. Vary how I approach. Sometimes I have had to use a verbal correction "no, down" if they move.

Lisa Clark

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-02-2016, 03:58 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsatov View Post
good point, I have straddled her but mostly approach from the same side. I can change this up and see what happens. do you suggest approaching from the other side for some time, and straddle and then switch it up and be very random with my approach.

I guess I should start close to her when she is indicating and then slowly lengthen my distance as well
Yes, randomize it and possibly even wait a couple seconds before you approach.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-02-2016, 04:34 PM

Excellent suggestions. I would add a couple of things to try to what others have mentioned. In addition to approaching from both sides randomly, only reward when the dog is looking at the article. Are you rewarding with food? If so, then only pay when the dog is focused and intensely looking at the article. You can point to the article and whisper something like "show me" or watch, or a positive marker like "yes." When the dog is fixated on the article, then you pay. Give a slight negative marker if the dog looks back at you. Then the positive marker and some low level praise. Like "Yessssss, goooooddd" almost under your breath. I have done a "slight of hand" trick and drop food with out the dog seeing it right behind or in front of the article, depending on the dog and it's position.

The dog knows the reward is coming from you and that is why it is looking back. We can only trick our dogs a few times, then they know exactly where the reward comes from. The obedience kicks in when the dog must lock up and stare at the article for it's indication. This is a relatively easy thing to teach if this what you want to achieve. You may need to go back to reteaching the article indication for a few sessions, only rewarding when the dog stares and focuses intensely on the article.

“Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance”. George Bernard Shaw

Jim
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-02-2016, 04:45 PM
Crowned Member

this is a dog driven to track , you know that , the experts that you have worked with that know that and have said so.

your attempt to "reward" is distracting her.

try a session where you walk up , do your regular "thing" with the article and send her on to track. That is her reward.
Your permission to track some more ! She will be looking ahead because that is where the track is .

Carmen

post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-02-2016, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

Great suggestions from all. She does know show me and will touch the article. Just was out doing a quick track staying close to her and approaching from the different side, she was looking straight ahead, and her position was perfect. I rewarded with food dropped from above on the article.

I then did the same thing staying close but approached on the usual side again perfect position, did no look back. I wonder if it is a distance thing. Taking too long in her mind to reward her. Perhaps continue to stay close to her but lengthen the time that I reward. or just slowly increase my distance.

What does everyone think would be the next steps. Really need to get this in the next 3 weeks

L Satov
Carmspack Journey
IPO3 HOT
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-02-2016, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

Carmen, yes I thought about that,but last fall I ran into a problem as the track was the most impt part to her and the articles not so much. I needed to balance this out and increase the value of the article. articles are 7 points each and there are 3. Last year perfect track of 79 no points for articles. do not want to rpt that again.

I do not use food on the track at all just after she indicated the articles, Maybe need to slightly re balance. but if she is going to indicate I want it straight, and too stay straight.
The article is perfectly between her legs, with good speed.

L Satov
Carmspack Journey
IPO3 HOT
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-02-2016, 05:59 PM
Knighted Member

Is there even a point loss for looking back while indicating an article?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page