How much does size matter? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-27-2016, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

How much does size matter?

Next year I am going to be deciding on a new male for IPO. I am thinking about a Mal or Shepherd. Personally, I would like quick and intense and it seems as though the smaller dogs are better for this. So many have said the larger males are better "man stoppers". But I am not sure I agree. Would ideally like my male to be under 80lbs.

Opinions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-27-2016, 02:58 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

IPO is a contact sport, for the most part, and weight is not always an advantage to longevity. On the other hand, a large powerful male is pretty darn impressive on the field especially in protection No matter how good my little 53# female might be, she isn't going to put the brakes on and stop a helper in the escape or prevent a good drive. She just isn't big enough.

Work what you want to work.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-27-2016, 03:19 PM
Crowned Member

My dog's brother weighs in the 60s. Quai is a pretty impressive kamikaze. Their father, weighs 80-85, took down the helper in France 2 years ago.

Like Lisa said...work with the size you want
gsdluvr likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-27-2016, 03:46 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhczth View Post
IPO is a contact sport and, for the most part, and weight is not always an advantage to longevity. On the other hand, a large powerful male is pretty darn impressive on the field especially in protection No matter how good my little 53# female might be, she isn't going to put the brakes on and stop a helper in the escape or prevent a good drive. She just isn't big enough.

This! I'm a decoy for a couple sports, national level with honors in one. Size isn't everything IMO. The first dog to ever take me down was a 51lbs female. Now, she more used her body to trip me, but still. Kimber at 60lbs has taken down a number of helpers/decoys both in training and trials. No one believes us when we tell them my wifes male is only 75lbs. He is pure power, bite and attitude. That leads me to this. There is a big difference between power, speed, and size. I have found them to be unrelated. I've worked 95lbs males who I barely can tell they are there, I've worked 95lbs males who and destroyed me. I've worked 75lbs males who I didn't notice where there and I've worked 75lbs males who destroyed me. So as stated, get what you want.

T17 Working Dogs-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-27-2016, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycobraracr View Post
This! I'm a decoy for a couple sports, national level with honors in one. Size isn't everything IMO. The first dog to ever take me down was a 51lbs female. Now, she more used her body to trip me, but still. Kimber at 60lbs has taken down a number of helpers/decoys both in training and trials. No one believes us when we tell them my wifes male is only 75lbs. He is pure power, bite and attitude. That leads me to this. There is a big difference between power, speed, and size. I have found them to be unrelated. I've worked 95lbs males who I barely can tell they are there, I've worked 95lbs males who and destroyed me. I've worked 75lbs males who I didn't notice where there and I've worked 75lbs males who destroyed me. So as stated, get what you want.
All great answers!! Many thanks!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-27-2016, 05:06 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhczth View Post
IPO is a contact sport and, for the most part, and weight is not always an advantage to longevity. On the other hand, a large powerful male is pretty darn impressive on the field especially in protection No matter how good my little 53# female might be, she isn't going to put the brakes on and stop a helper in the escape or prevent a good drive. She just isn't big enough.

Lisa said it best!

I also have a 52# female and no matter how perfect a protection routine she does, she'll never beat out an 85# male. It doesn't stop her from succes at all, though. She just beat out the males at my regional championship with a 98 point routine. I have kept a male from her last litter and he is trending to the larger side already, so it will be an adjustment regardless. We just learn to work with what we've got!
lhczth and gsdluvr like this.

Feuergarten German Shepherds

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-27-2016, 05:28 PM
Crowned Member

It is for the most part not the size of the dog in the fight it is the size of the fight in the dog!
gsdluvr and Casto like this.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-27-2016, 10:11 PM

I've seen some lightning fast mals in the 60s take down helpers. I just started helper work and was almost knocked on my butt by a 70lb dog that came at me from a very short distance. I would lean towards a lighter dog 75 to 80lb my absolute max just for joints and longevity, But seeing a 95lb lean gsd preform a great protection routine is still impressive!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-01-2016, 01:30 PM

Don't think all Malinois are small. I have a 76 lb Malinois that is all muscle and ribs, hits like a freight train. We have several 60 lb Malinois in our unit and they are all "manstoppers" for real. We also have several GSD's who are very effective as well. One of the hardest hitting and biting dogs is a 60 lb Malinois, that dog puts 150% into every bite. Boru, scares decoys and has some really bad intent when biting. He hits like a freight train. Boomer was a beast in his prime and hit harder than most dogs and comfortably ran at over 32 mph.

It really depends on the dog, it's genetics, drives and training. It's not the size of the dog that is impressive to me, but the drives, sheer power and intensity. A dog doesn't have to be big to be impressive.
lhczth, Deb, gsdluvr and 1 others like this.

“Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance”. George Bernard Shaw

Jim
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 09:19 AM

I'm finding the older I get the smaller the dog I want, just to make handling easier on me LOL Size never made a difference for me. Just as the other's have said, it's the drives and temperament that are important.
lhczth and gsdluvr like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page