Seeking out opinions :) - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes
  • 3 Post By Castlemaid

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 09:46 AM Thread Starter

Seeking out opinions :)

Hello, I've been lurking and searching about Schutzhund for the past week in attempt to find out whether or not it is the right sport for Bane. And have a few personal questions I couldn't really find on the forums already.

Main Questions:
1. I found that there is a Schutzhund club 7 mins away from my home, feeling super lucky after reading how many people travel so far just for their own. Was wondering if anyone knew about the Buffalo Schutzhund club and if they are a good one?

2. We are mostly looking for a sport that would make Bane happy and ourselves happy. (If he really is for the sport following his evaluation)
-After reading a lot of post i notice many people are saying its time consuming. We were wondering if anyone practiced the sport more casually maybe 1-2 times a week for 6-8hours each session. More as something to do with your dog or puppy (Bane is 4.5 months) rather than aiming for the titles. (Though to be fair me and my boyfriend are VERY competitive while we are looking for something casual I don't rule out the fact that if we do end up loving it and getting into it we may transition into more serious and committed club members, we very much like to be number 1 in anything we do)

Bonus:
This is of course if Bane is even right for schutzhund. Though he has to go through an evaluation here are some things about him if you are interested!
1. When we tug he has a really good grip he will not let go. But he barely pulls back and shakes his head. (Though if we run with a leash on he will grab the leash hard and shake it very hard) really dont know why he doesn't apply that to tug (Every now and then he will but most of the time he just looks up locked onto his tug sometimes sits and lies down unless we move)
2. He fetches his ball inside the home but outside he seems to lose interest in even picking it up (he will always run to it when thrown but then starts sniffing around). He loves his stick more and with that we can get him to retrieve it every now and then. Most of the time he prefers to run to the shade and chew on it.
3. He trains really well but i believe that is all GSD pups do
4. He is really playful with other dogs and he doesn't seem to get the warning cues from other dogs growls and barks to back off until they nip him a bit. (It was a small little chihuahua mix that nipped him, the bigger dog just barks at him which doesn't work so i usually just take bane away) He has several friends at our apartment that he plays with regularly.
5. He is very friendly to other people too but he is still a puppy so i wouldn't expect anything else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 06:53 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Main Questions:
1. I found that there is a Schutzhund club 7 mins away from my home, feeling super lucky after reading how many people travel so far just for their own. Was wondering if anyone knew about the Buffalo Schutzhund club and if they are a good one?

Holly cow, how lucky is that? Can't tell you about this club, but there might be more than one club in your area - different clubs have different personalities, and some people will travel the distance to train with a club that is a good fit for them, even if there is another one close by. Sure would be worth checking it out, asking to come for a visit, and get a feel for the training.

2. We are mostly looking for a sport that would make Bane happy and ourselves happy. (If he really is for the sport following his evaluation)
-After reading a lot of post i notice many people are saying its time consuming. We were wondering if anyone practiced the sport more casually maybe 1-2 times a week for 6-8hours each session. More as something to do with your dog or puppy (Bane is 4.5 months) rather than aiming for the titles.

Yes, it is time comsuming, but 6-8 hour sessions twice a week? Usually on club day, you are at the club for the day, so I can see the 6-8 hours there. Some clubs train both Saturday and Sunday, but that is not that common. Most people do have a real life to attend to. What is more commone is training one day a week on weekends, and one or two weekday evening sessions, but each club is different. With a puppy you can only do so much training in one session, so as club members (and newbies), you'd be expected to just watch and learn, and to help out with equipment and helping others where you can (like being part of the crowd for the heeling exercises).

Again, each club is different, some clubs are more relaxed about training and will be more accomodating to individual's time, others are very strict about club members participating in all club training times - etc. It will also depend on what your puppy needs. With my Rottie mix, I HAD to do daily 20 to 30 min training sessions when not doing club training, or she would go backwards. With Gryffon, I can not do anything for close to a year, show up at a seminar, and pick up exactly where we last left off. (So I've been lazy with the home training with this guy - don't tell my training director, LOL!)

1. When we tug he has a really good grip he will not let go. But he barely pulls back and shakes his head. (Though if we run with a leash on he will grab the leash hard and shake it very hard) really dont know why he doesn't apply that to tug (Every now and then he will but most of the time he just looks up locked onto his tug sometimes sits and lies down unless we move)

This is common with puppies - a club will show you how to work with him to get him tugging properly. Your tugging technique has a lot to do with it. Keep your arms and shoulder soft, and keep the tug moving and active to encourage tugging. As soon as you get ONE backwards tug, release and let the pup win. This teaches Bane that the way to win at this game is to tug backwards. He will mirror your energy: If you are locked up and rigid, and the tug is dead, that is what he will give back to you: Nothing. Make it fun, smooth tugging, yield to his effort, and let him win.

2. He fetches his ball inside the home but outside he seems to lose interest in even picking it up (he will always run to it when thrown but then starts sniffing around). He loves his stick more and with that we can get him to retrieve it every now and then. Most of the time he prefers to run to the shade and chew on it.
Normal puppy stuff. If you get with a club, they will give you pointers on how to build engagement.

3. He trains really well but i believe that is all GSD pups do
Give yourself some credit for doing a good job!

4. He is really playful with other dogs and he doesn't seem to get the warning cues from other dogs growls and barks to back off until they nip him a bit. (It was a small little chihuahua mix that nipped him, the bigger dog just barks at him which doesn't work so i usually just take bane away) He has several friends at our apartment that he plays with regularly.
5. He is very friendly to other people too but he is still a puppy so i wouldn't expect anything else.

This would indicate an outgoing, confident, pushy pup - that is one thing that they will be looking for in his evaluation.

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 10:56 PM
Crowned Member

I have been at the Buffalo club a few times for training, trials and shows......the facility is nice, and the club hold regular events.

Training for newbies is very very structured and follows a definite program. The TD is from the Czech Republic originally, and a very good helper/decoy from the CR spends a great deal of time at the club as well. The members who train regularly definitely meet their goals for titles. They will evaluate your puppy.....youngsters generally do not do much bitework there until their obedience is well established.

Lee

Hexe Sch2, Komet & Kougar IPO1, Kira HGH, SG Bengal, Lynx v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia IPO1 ~ ATB Basha, Kougar & Kyra, Fenja, Sch3s, Cito, Sch2, DangerRH, Csabre & Alice Sch1s ~Kelsey
wolfstraum.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 07:45 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for taking the time to answer all my questions a lot of useful information Sounds great and we will definitely try to bring Bane in for an evaluation at some point! Will update you guys on that!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page