Tibetan Mastiff for Schutzhund/IPO? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

Tibetan Mastiff for Schutzhund/IPO?

It's hard to find information on this breed but I've recently been offered a chance at getting a Tibetan Mastiff puppy and I'm wondering if these dogs can excel in Schutzhund/IPO.

I hadn't heard much about the breed, when I heard Mastiff I was thinking something else but when I saw them I was really blown away. The parents are absolutely stunning, they could easily pass as mythological creatures from ancient Greece - they look like some cross between a bear and a lion. Anyone here know anything about them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-04-2016, 02:49 AM
Banned

Certainly not my field but Schutzhund/IPO ... I would not think so?? I'm sure someone will explain why. But PPD well yeah ... with the "proper training from a really, really good pro. So yeah .... certainly not a good choice for a first time dog owner ... have you seen Gus??:

And dogs of Molosser World the usual suspects. Long fur, short fur, dogs, tall and short. There are a couple of CC owners on here ... but yeah those guys are not as "furry" as a TB.
Molossers breeds (Molosser dogs, Molossers, Mastiff breeds)
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-04-2016, 04:09 AM

Not sure if this is in any way useful to you, but I remembered seeing one on here the other day: https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...-huge-dog.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-04-2016, 08:57 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullion View Post
It's hard to find information on this breed but I've recently been offered a chance at getting a Tibetan Mastiff puppy and I'm wondering if these dogs can excel in Schutzhund/IPO.

I hadn't heard much about the breed, when I heard Mastiff I was thinking something else but when I saw them I was really blown away. The parents are absolutely stunning, they could easily pass as mythological creatures from ancient Greece - they look like some cross between a bear and a lion. Anyone here know anything about them?
Think of it this way, if they had what it took, I would think there would be people working them on the field. Every breed has certain things they excel at. I wouldn't try herding with a bull terrier for instance. TMs are impressive animals....I don't know much about them, but I would not get one unless I have a huge farm for them to roam.

Linc Remington vom Sequoyah Haus, "Remi"- D.O.B 2/3/14

Pedigree:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-04-2016, 09:18 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:

No they can't. Something else to consider is your abilities. Have you trained any dogs in IPO? I'm having a hard time believing you have or you wouldn't be asking this question. You better find out how much goes into working with a good dog before you move into goofy.

The other part to consider is, who's going to waste their time helping you? If you like mastiffs, have a mastiff. If you want to do something like IPO, get a dog that fits.
onyx'girl and Jax08 like this.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-04-2016, 11:45 AM
Banned

If you're actually going to do IPO, then no. If you just want a big dog for protection, then it's certainly capable for that (but will take some training like 99% of dogs).
Don't just get a dog because it's available, get a dog for your specific needs.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-04-2016, 05:16 PM
Crowned Member

If you want to do /IPO/schutzhund - get a GSD (or ****maybe***** a mali).....get a dog who is bred for it...otherwise you are beating yourself up, frustrating youself, your helper, your fellow training people, and the dog.....and wasting alot of resources that could be used to bring along a dog who will do well in the sport....have seen people with off breeds, poor candidates for the sport (even GSDs) and the amount of time spent on one animal with poor potential could be used to advance a couple who have what it takes....it starts off as a novelty - but ends up being frustrating to everyone involved IMO

Lee

Hexe Sch2, Komet & Kougar IPO1, Kira HGH, SG Bengal, Lynx v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia IPO1 ~ ATB Basha, Kougar & Kyra, Fenja, Sch3s, Cito, Sch2, DangerRH, Csabre & Alice Sch1s ~Kelsey
wolfstraum.net
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-04-2016, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

I want to get into IPO training, I haven't before but I've been looking into the sport for awhile. I am very interested in this breed now so I just wanted to see if it would be good for the sport or if I will still need to hold off on getting involved in dog sport
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-04-2016, 08:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
I want to get into IPO training, I haven't before but I've been looking into the sport for awhile. I am very interested in this breed now so I just wanted to see if it would be good for the sport or if I will still need to hold off on getting involved in dog sport
Well ... unlike some ... I luv the "Dogs of Mosseler World!" But by and large the only there that is "successful in" Schutzhund/IPO Training ... would be a "Euro Boxer" in as much as that is what they do in "Europe!"

That said if I were to get into that field "I'd" go with an "American Line "Boxer American Boxer" as "I'd" not want the "100 %" Goofiness diluted with the "right stuff!" For me it would be all about having fun! Heck on "BoxerForum" the "debate" tends to be about if the "Euros" are as "Goofy" as the "Euros" dogs!

That said ... if your entend is for a "Serious IPO/Schutzhund "candidate??" Sorry you have to go with the numbers. And that would be a GSD/Mal/Dutchie/Mal/GSD cross. Numbers don't lie.

For "PPD" work ... the fields a bit broader. For that the field is a lot broader and many "Molossers" can/could excel at that. But ... a high threshold for "pain/crap" can be "problematic??"

It can take a lot to "impress" some of them?? A yeah ...you call that a threat?? Not interested kind of thing.

By and large with any of those guys (Molosser's) "Breed Characteristics" such as these are what your going to looking at.

Dr. P's Dog Training: Belgian Malinois vs. American Pit Bull Terrier

I'm not saying a Schutzhund/IPO "TM" can't be done?? But "numbers" would suggest ... that it's not too likely??? An "American Band Dawg or a "Dogo Argentina" would put in the ballpark but you know not as "furry" and stuff."
Bullion likes this.

Last edited by Chip18; 08-04-2016 at 08:59 PM.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-04-2016, 09:21 PM
Crowned Member

I love my cousin in law's mastiff. Nicest dog ever. But he would never do the sport. Think about the 3 phases.

1. Tracking - TM's are not bred for hunt drive. They are not going to put their heads down and track footstep to footstep.
2. Obedience - Are you really willing to send a 160# dog over a meter jump? Over the wall? Does the dog ahve the drive to do the obedience?
3. Protection - I'm sure this is the phase you were thinking of. It's the phase everyone thinks of as soon as IPO is said. You might be able to get the dog to bite. They are a guardian breed. But in what drive? Can the dog switch between prey and aggression?

I find it incredibly sad to watch a dog forced into a sport that is contrary to its true nature. Like Steve said above...if you want to do IPO, get a dog suitable for the sport. GSDs are the best. Mals will work but in a different way. Rott's and Dobe's are out there doing it as well. I've seen pictures of some Boxer's but never in person and a friend has a Cane Corso that she struggles with in the sport because the proper drives aren't there for protection.
Slamdunc, wolfy dog and Chip18 like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page