Pulling back vs. Torquing the sleeve- revisited - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2016, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Pulling back vs. Torquing the sleeve- revisited

I am re reading this post. Am I correct in saying as long as the dog has a full calm bite, torquing is Ok?

The reason I ask, is that , some in my club are saying to only encourage the pulling back and to discourage the torquing in young dogs.

Last edited by gsdluvr; 07-09-2016 at 03:30 PM. Reason: addition
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2016, 03:36 PM
Crowned Member

It's a points issue. If the dog is pulling back, he is most likely not going to regrip and lose points. When they start "torquing" and fighting the helper, which IMO they actually should be doing, they lose points if they regrip or get chewy on the sleeve.
mycobraracr and gsdluvr like this.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2016, 03:44 PM
Crowned Member

I just want to clarify that re-gripping and being chewy are very different. In the suit sports, they want to see a dog fighting and digging in for more. In the sleeve sports, they don't.
Jax08 and gsdluvr like this.

T17 Working Dogs-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2016, 03:51 PM
Crowned Member

Yes, they are very different. The issue is when the dog regrips and the judge interprets it as chewy. So pulling is the safer option.
gsdluvr likes this.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2016, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

My dog is like a crab. She sometimes torques with a full bite and doesn't re grip. So no points lost?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2016, 04:56 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycobraracr View Post
I just want to clarify that re-gripping and being chewy are very different. In the suit sports, they want to see a dog fighting and digging in for more. In the sleeve sports, they don't.
On a sleeve, what about locking up with a dog that pushes in and torques around?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2016, 05:00 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdluvr View Post
My dog is like a crab. She sometimes torques with a full bite and doesn't re grip. So no points lost?
If the bite is full and deep, there is no reason to re-grip.
As far as locking up....if the helper can hold the sleeve still then the out command should be coming(or *wince* auto-out) and the dog should be ready for that transition.
Karlo is very powerful and helpers do have a hard time locking up, so he will continue to fight as long as he is 'controlling' the sleeve. I have had to practice active outs with him, just in case we trial with a helper that cannot lock up.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18

Last edited by onyx'girl; 07-09-2016 at 05:03 PM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2016, 05:05 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Strom View Post
On a sleeve, what about locking up with a dog that pushes in and torques around?
IME sleeve sports don't want to see that. They would rather see the dog pulling or sitting there with a calm grip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
If the bite is full and deep, there is no reason to re-grip.

I disagree with this as well. I personally want to see a dog pushing, fighting and digging for more no matter how full the grip. Again just what I like to see.
Jax08 likes this.

T17 Working Dogs-

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2016, 05:08 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycobraracr View Post
IME sleeve sports don't want to see that. They would rather see the dog pulling or sitting there with a calm grip.

I disagree with this as well. I personally want to see a dog pushing, fighting and digging for more no matter how full the grip. Again just what I like to see.
In trial, the points would be for a full grip(that is what I was addressing, points in trial). I would also rather see a dog fight and not be along for the ride on a sleeve. Your comment to Steve is what I meant.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2016, 05:10 PM
Crowned Member

But is it harder to lock up? I've seen a few good dogs that end up not outing because they were torquing around and the helper couldn't hold steady. Kinda like the feet on the helper. They start pushing or wrapping, the helper can't get set and it all goes off the rails.
Jax08 and MineAreWorkingline like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page