Loss of Drive on the Field - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

Loss of Drive on the Field

Hi everyone,
I have a 10 mo. old German Shepherd pup from workinglines. Hes super drivey at home withfood and the ball, but anytime were on the training field or even out at a localquiet park, he shuts down - he loses any and all interest in me, food, treats,balls, tugs, etc. Getting him to do eventhe most basic commands like sit or watch me is like a chore, no matter howpeppy/exciting I am or what yummy treats I use. The environment consumes 100% of his attention(even if its the same park/field weve been to 100 times before). Hes been well socialized from day 1 by hisbreeder and myself of course. So Ithought it might have just been a phase, but I havent seen anyimprovement. I have tons of saved Youtubeclips and DVDs on tugging, engagement training, etc. I even decided to take a break from SchHbecause were not getting anywhere with it. Ive seen other young puppies on the field that are solely focused on their owner, so I cant even blame it on his age.

So needless to say I am getting slightly discouraged at thispoint. I ended up a crazy, insane dog inthe house that is calm as anything on the training field. Hes ass-backwards LOL! Anyone else go through this with their dogsor have any suggestions?

-Logan: Black WLGSD puppy
-Gus-Gus: Pomeranian
-Loki: Congo African Grey Parrot
-Tula: Pitty mix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 02:44 PM
Crowned Member

I'd just shut him down at home instead. No toys, playing, training. I'd crate him a little more for a couple of weeks or so, then take him to the park crated in the car and give him a chance to play with you. If he still doesn't, put him back in the crate, for a few minutes then give him another chance. Don't demand any firm obedience or anything, just a good effort playing with you.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 07:11 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Is he distracted by the environment so doesn't want to play/work or overwhelmed by the environment so is unable to play/work?
ugavet2012 likes this.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 07:16 PM
Crowned Member

"The environment consumes 100% of his attention(even if its the same park/field weve been to 100 times before):="

what is he like in different environments (non-home) when you are just there and not in a training mode?

is he visually distracted or is he sound sensitive , does he look for confrontation that he has to avoid , which may include human or dog social encounters that pose no threat or aggression?

what are his lines (pedigree)

Carmen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-07-2016, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses so far.

So, he no longer has access to toys/balls around the house, and hasn’t for quite some time, but I’d really prefer not to crate him any more than I already do.

And I believe he is just distractedby the environment. His nose generally goes straight to the ground the whole time we’re out & about. His hackles may go up a bit when we 1st get to a place if it is crowded, but he settles after the first few minutes. And if/when we do pass people walking other dogs and kids screaming on the playground – he’s un-phased it (no hackles,growling or barking), still just nose to the ground.

I’m frustrated because it’s I know it’s me vs. the environment, and I don’t exist outside of the house and backyard. When I call him or run away from him in agame, more than the time I have to bribe him. He has some days when he will be more focused, but most of the time it’s almost more work than its worth. I enjoy traveling and hiking with my dogs, so I certainly don’t expect him to be 100% focused on me the entire time, but if I say his name or tell him to sit, I’d like a better response from him, if that makes sense.

post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-07-2016, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

Im wondering if/when we go for walks, if I should:
let him sniff awhile, get it out of his system,then try to engage; OR
try engagement 1st then continue onwith our walk.

post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-07-2016, 06:50 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9raqs View Post
Im wondering if/when we go for walks, if I should:
let him sniff awhile, get it out of his system,then try to engage; OR
try engagement 1st then continue onwith our walk.
Engagement 1st IMO. I have a 9 month old that gets overstimulated by her environment i.e. Others playing with any type of ball or bite work. I just have to keep working with her in those environments and slowly she is becoming more focused on me and not so crazy nuts. High drive pup. Not sure if that's the same problem you have? Steve made a good suggestion about focusing on you with playing tug or whatever. I'm doing a lot of that and she's becoming more focused on me.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-07-2016, 08:22 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Sniffing the ground can be a form of avoidance where he is telling you he is not comfortable with the environment. The hackles are also an indication of his not being comfortable. I would try to engage him on the walks like you mentioned above. Do a little, then free him up to sniff, do a little, then free him up. See if you can extend the duration of his engagement.

You might avoid the busy park for awhile until you can get the engagement just on your walks.

Lisa Clark

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-07-2016, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhczth View Post
You might avoid the busy park for awhile until you can get the engagement just on your walks.

Yes! Good call! I'll take a few steps back.

post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-07-2016, 11:00 PM
Crowned Member

I have a dog that is much the same. He would rather track/hunt than engage with me. Especially in new places with different scents. It is not avoidance at all, but his need to scent. I track him before we do obedience and it is still over the top. Food drive is high, so I can engage him with food, but then he'll try to find what may have been dropped. I don't want to bang on him for it, and get frustrated which will not help at all.
Tug, ball, fetch is not valuable on the training field, I can tug at home but it isn't really high value for him to win, or does he push me for more.
My other older dog is so unlike this one that I am digging into that toolbox with little success.
I will get there, but won't expect miracles.
I know I do give this dog more freedom than I should, but my personal life has taken over for the time being(stepmom is in hospice, taking care of the family/support is my focus at this time) so training is not the big priority now. I hope and pray I can get us engaged and tug/fightdrive for that tug kicks in.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18

Last edited by onyx'girl; 06-07-2016 at 11:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page