Training the 1 yr old in Schutzhund - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

Training the 1 yr old in Schutzhund

So I have joined my local club and pay every training session but thus far it seems very slow. I am just tugging on toys is this normal I understand building the drive in a dog but when I ask questions the answer is vague and just that we will get there. No tips for homework or anything? If anybody has tips or reassurance that this is normal or a seasoned handler would feel comfortable talking with me once in a while it would be appreciated?
Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 05:18 PM
Crowned Member

How long have you been going to training? Are you started on tracking? Obedience? any bitework?

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 05:30 PM
Crowned Member

It depends on your dog Josh. Did he bite what the helper used? Was he pulling towards the helper? Did he bark?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 08:00 PM
Elite Member

I pay my club monthly to train. Before each session the decoy(also the TD) and I will go over what the plan is and that we understand it. As the decoy is working my dog he is providing feedback and when the session is over he gives me an assessment and tells me what we will work on the next session. If there is work I can do at home to help he will tell me or I will ask and pick his brain if I am struggling with a concept.

Express your questions and concerns to the TD and talk to other club members to see if this is typical in how they operate.

"If you don't train them, don't blame them"
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 08:41 PM

I agree with Steve, it depends on the dog. when I was gauging my dogs interest and suitability for bite work we seemed to be going at a snails pace as well but that's because my dogs progress was slow. his confidence was more important than my expectations or frustration tho!

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 10:04 PM
Crowned Member

My club will 'put a young dog up' for a time if there is a reason to do so...we do not rush pups to do protection if they are really high in prey or pups that tend to be on the more defensive side. Better to let some maturity happen and in the protection time at training, the handler will do some drive building or focus work during that session rather than have the helper do the same ole same ole.
Reading the dogs natural drives and tapping or maintaining them is important. Not pressuring when the brain isn't ready is always key for balancing drives as the goal.
No rush to title....
and thankfully our TD is very good about explaining and answering questions. Newbies learn very quickly about the aspects of drive state, timing of rewards and the 'helper' side of the work.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18

Last edited by onyx'girl; 06-05-2016 at 10:09 PM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 11:35 PM
Elite Member

You can work a defensive puppy in protection from early on.

I have a new dog here for the last 3 weeks. Most of what I am doing obedience wise involves her just barking at me, eating, chasing and biting stuff. To many people try to start the dog doing complex behaviours before the dog has shown the proper activity level, drive and desire for the work.

Thats how you get a flat dog that falls out of drive 5 minutes into your routine.

If they cant explain to you what it is you are doing and why go train somewhere else.
Sabis mom likes this.

Bastian the Beast

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 09:48 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshcooper901 View Post
So I have joined my local club and pay every training session but thus far it seems very slow. I am just tugging on toys is this normal I understand building the drive in a dog but when I ask questions the answer is vague and just that we will get there. No tips for homework or anything? If anybody has tips or reassurance that this is normal or a seasoned handler would feel comfortable talking with me once in a while it would be appreciated?
Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
It probably seems vague Josh, because its a little bit of a feeling out period with some pups, more then others. There isn't a set do this then that. When you start adding some ob and control, there'll be more for you to concentrate on. Did you join Way Out West?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 09:59 AM
Crowned Member

Some clubs do no protection until the dog has it's BH. (the pups don't see a helper until they have their BH) Others work in prey early. The club TD can see your pup and you. We, obviously, can't. I'd go with their plan. It may seem slow but it's an opportunity to have fun with your pup, to reenforce that training and the field are fun for the pup.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 10:21 AM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Much of what we call training, is actually foundation work. It takes time to build a solid foundation, but the better the foundation, the more you can build on top of it.

Eventually, down the road, you'll get the 'aha' moment where you'll see how all this play that seemed to not produce anything, falls together into the big picture. I echo others, be patient, you AND your dog are picking up skills that will pay off later when the training becomes more formal.

Lucia

2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page