Fast outs - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Fast outs

I have begun to use the ball on string for OB. But I need to build faster outs. Unfortunately, the tug is not a high reward for her. I'd like to hear some methods that DON"t involve 2 ball. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 02:54 PM
Banned

Using cheese has greatly sped up my outs. She really looks for the high value treat. Im not expert but this works for me. I also hear that many people throw keys on the floor when training the out command. The sound throws their attention away from the lure i guess.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 03:07 PM
Crowned Member

Most likely a correction with an e-collar for not outing and an instant reward once she has, obviously depending on age. At some point, you have to tell them "No, you HAVE to do this". And adding a clicker to mark the out with an instant reward for doing so might help.

Just make sure the out is clean. No chewing on the way!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 03:21 PM
Crowned Member

For fast outs, you need fast rewards and lots of repetition. The dog needs to think it's always getting the toy back. Not that the game is over.
onyx'girl and ugavet2012 like this.

T17 Working Dogs-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycobraracr View Post
For fast outs, you need fast rewards and lots of repetition. The dog needs to think it's always getting the toy back. Not that the game is over.
Right and I usually do this a lot sometimes before play. Will it just be a matter of time and repetitions before it's reliable, Or will I need a correction the way Jax describes? Oh yes, and she is trained with markers.

Last edited by gsdluvr; 05-16-2016 at 03:30 PM. Reason: addition
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 03:40 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdluvr View Post
Right and I usually do this a lot sometimes before play. Will it just be a matter of time and repetitions before it's reliable, Or will I need a correction the way Jax describes? Oh yes, and she is trained with markers.
I would say depends on the dog. Some dogs take a correction as upping the fight. Even with an e-collar. So now you've just made your work even harder.

T17 Working Dogs-

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
I would say depends on the dog. Some dogs take a correction as upping the fight. Even with an e-collar. So now you've just made your work even harder.
Good point! Not sure if it will do that! Hmmmmm....
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 04:08 PM
Crowned Member

Just to add a little murk, trying to get a quick out with the ball on a string can be tougher then a tug that you can immobilize easier to get the quick rebite like Jeremy is saying, so it becomes an obedience issue and you need the correction Jax mentioned. I slow the tugging down and work him into a sit then let the string go slack so that he has to pretty much spit it out. The reason why he does that though, is because I corrected him for not dropping it on command with me not holding the string at all. Does that help at all? Lol.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 06:39 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
and make sure you are not pulling on whatever is in his mouth. They will clamp down harder.
lhczth likes this.

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Strom View Post
Just to add a little murk, trying to get a quick out with the ball on a string can be tougher then a tug that you can immobilize easier to get the quick rebite like Jeremy is saying, so it becomes an obedience issue and you need the correction Jax mentioned. I slow the tugging down and work him into a sit then let the string go slack so that he has to pretty much spit it out. The reason why he does that though, is because I corrected him for not dropping it on command with me not holding the string at all. Does that help at all? Lol.
Lol Steve!! Ha, I put her into a sit let the string go limp and she chews it or locks on it until I give a few more outs. it's iffy. I will continue playing the quick out, mark, reward game and if I still don't see any improvement, I will correct. I wish the tug had higher value to her than it does. I can get outs easier and faster with it. I will keep trying!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page