Single handle or double handle tugs? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Single handle or double handle tugs?

Hi, have a 14 week old pup here. Want to get a nice tug for her (tore through the cheap store bought ones). I have been looking at single handle and double handle ones, which ones are better and why? Also was looking at a mini bite pillow. I usually make my own toys (tie rags to shoe laces, and then to brooms, stuff like that) but she goes through them in a couple of days.
I have found that playing tug is even better than training her with treats, unless the treat is cheese

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016, 03:33 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Neither one is better - it's a matter of preference, and it's a matter what you are working on in bite-work development. If you are just looking for a sturdy tug that will last a bit longer than the ones you have been using, it does not matter at all how many handles the tug has.

They will get destroyed if you leave them with your pup unupervised if your pup is a chewer. Should last a long long time if you only take them out for a game of tug, then put them away for safe-keeping afterwards.

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016, 03:44 PM
Crowned Member

double handled is easier for me because I want him pulling straight back. They both prefer the gappay black, or red, ones. Not so much the jute material tug.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
double handled is easier for me because I want him pulling straight back. They both prefer the gappay black, or red, ones. Not so much the jute material tug.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castlemaid View Post
Neither one is better - it's a matter of preference, and it's a matter what you are working on in bite-work development. If you are just looking for a sturdy tug that will last a bit longer than the ones you have been using, it does not matter at all how many handles the tug has.

They will get destroyed if you leave them with your pup unupervised if your pup is a chewer. Should last a long long time if you only take them out for a game of tug, then put them away for safe-keeping afterwards.

Ok, I think the double handle will be easier to handle. What about the small bite pillows? and the ball on a rope toys?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016, 04:41 PM
Crowned Member

I prefer the double handle ones when the dog gets stronger. It is easier for them to pull and you can aim better to avoid an accidental "tug" on your bare skin (!!!).
For a young pup I use both.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page