Feeling Overwhelmed - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-03-2016, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

Feeling Overwhelmed

I have been in contact with a local club in my area, and they have scheduled for my pup, (Ronin, 5.5 months) to go out to their tracking field this weekend to see if he has any potential. Now, they want me to do 5 full sessions with them before they make any decisions. Which is perfectly fine with me, not that's not my issue. I spoke with the director of the club for an hour and a half last night, and he basically told me that my dog was over-trained and that he was going to be weak if I didn't stop. Now, I'm perfectly fine taking criticism and told him that I am a first time owner and this is just a trial not only for Ronin but for myself to see if this is something we will enjoy doing together. I am more than willing to take his advice on what he needed to do, and understood that he might not be a good fit for this particular sport. However, I feel like he threw so much information at me that I can't process it all and I'm having a hard time to know where to start. If anyone has any advice or tips for me to help me maybe understand things a bit better that would be greatly appreciated.

I did research the sport, but he told me to forget everything I read and that most of it was incorrect. So now I don't even know if the sport I read about on the official Canadian Website is the right one or if I want to do this sport at all.

"I am your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are my life, my leader. I will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of my heart"-I am the German Shepherd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-03-2016, 11:28 AM
Crowned Member

You shouldn't feel overwhelmed maybe the wrong trainer. What 5 month old is over trained?I plan to start max in tracking soon. I'm not familiar with the process as there is much information about on this forum. I started off with nose works which was told it is a good precursor to tracking. It is different in a sense where it allows air scenting. It may be something that interests you also. I knew my dog would always love a sport as tracking and nose works as seems to be his strong point -they are all different though.
I really do it for if god for bid anyone if our family members went missing - as crazy as that might sound.
Nose works may be a good way to start it really is so much fun!!!! This site I copied has some videos on nose works and info if you are interested. Tracking and nose works are great confident builders if it's their thing.
http://www.nacsw.net

Last edited by Jenny720; 05-03-2016 at 11:35 AM.
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-03-2016, 11:28 AM
Crowned Member

What is over trained?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-03-2016, 11:40 AM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

First off, it is COMPLETELY NORMAL to feel overwhelmed when one starts down the road of IPO/SchH, LOL! It takes YEARS to understand it all. It is not something you wll 'get' by reading stuff.

There are a lot of different ways of looking at the training, and a lot of different ways to train, so the best way to not feel too overwhelmed, is to follow your club.

I can't tell you how frustrating it is when someone comes to our club, and we give them advice, and they shut us down because "that's not what the video they watched/or the website they read" said to do.

A lot of us, overall, have started our journey with dogs that were not all that well suited for the training, but we stuck with it, learned as much as we could, became better trainers, better handlers, our dogs became happier and more responsive, and we had fun along the way. In IPO, we build up energy, enthousiasm, drive, and channel it into specific behaviours and exercises. The first few months of training is just that, building the dog up - OB is brought in gradually along the way, the pups not even realizing that this is "training", they think it is all a great big fun game.

Sometimes when people put a lot of obedience on a young dog, it is hard to re-train them to be energetic and enthusiastic in all they do. Not saying that is Ronin - have no clue what he is like.

You'll find IPO is a journey - not sure what you thought it was from reading the GSSCC website, and what impression you got from talking to your trainer - but no, you won't get an idea about what the training involves from reading. Wanting to join a club, working your dog hands-on, will give you an idea. It will overwhelm you even more, but eventually, by the time Ronin is ready for his IPO I, you'll start to see it all. But the learning never ends - it's like trying to learn a new language - immerse yourself into it, reading a dictionary will only teach you so much.
onyx'girl likes this.

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-03-2016, 11:44 AM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvShepherds View Post
What is over trained?
Too much obedience on a young pup - to the point that they are afraid to do anything on their own, and have become robotic. It can squash down drive.

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-03-2016, 12:01 PM
Crowned Member

over trained at 5 1/2 months ?
what motivates the dog?

I don't know your dog. Maybe what they
saw was a dog who was not bold and daring by nature
and inhibited by "training" , all those things that anxious
first time GSD owners may do to prevent future "problems".
In a way it is saying you need to take a step back and not
micro manage the dog . Control isn't a straight jacket.

Did you choose tracking because there was no potential for aggression?
Before you go out to the club have some fun at home or along some
scrubby area with ungroomed grass .
Toss a ball close by -- reward for getting it and bringing it back.
Each time toss the ball a little further .
One time, after the dog gets the game and is pumped up , throw ball into an area where it is hidden from view while restraining him by holding on to collar.
Let him go.
Does he launch himself into the find , dawdle, sit on your foot, go out and give a half hearted
oh well look -- that will let you know his inherent hunt / search drive.
If it is low -- then start your experience at the club with something more dynamic - something
with action , motion , running after a a bumper on a string , having a piece of chamois passed in front of him letting him get frustrated and then released.

Carmen

post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-03-2016, 12:13 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvShepherds View Post
What is over trained?
Like Eddie, the Jack Russell on the tv show Frasier, spent most of his time waiting to be told what to do next.
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-03-2016, 12:13 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castlemaid View Post
Too much obedience on a young pup - to the point that they are afraid to do anything on their own, and have become robotic. It can squash down drive.
Isn't that hard to do with a young puppy? I have a WL who is on the soft side, medium drive, and have been training since I got him. He is still bouncy and enthusiastic no matter what I teach him. I wouldn't mind a little less energy and a little more attention when we are working.
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-03-2016, 12:16 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineAreWorkingline View Post
Like Eddie, the Jack Russell on the tv show Frasier, spent most of his time waiting to be told what to do next.
Oh, OK! Hmm, if I had a Jack Russell, I would like some quiet attention. My friend has one and he is an energizer bunny. They run him an hour every morning and then he's ready for his regular walk.
MineAreWorkingline likes this.
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-03-2016, 12:16 PM
Crowned Member

Why don't you just relax, go to the sessions and see if your dog has the drive to do IPO and if you fit in with the club? I think you are stressing yourself out over a sentence which basically means you might be putting to much control on your dog at this time. If that is so, they'll help you with that as well. They will teach you where to start. That's what the club and the TD are for.
lhczth and onyx'girl like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page