Tall, leggy, narrow dogs and IPO - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-23-2016, 12:54 PM
Crowned Member

Valor is a bit stockier build than Brick but when he's doing high speed turns sometimes he slides like he's on ice. I chalked it up to not having aced the coordination issue. With Brick being that tall he may just need some time to get his feet under him. I'd keep an eye on him but not too critical of an eye at this early stage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-23-2016, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Sure, I'm taking that into account I was just curious what's the opinion about that type of body and injury/performance, but I suppose I'm the only one thinking about that

Yelena

Amos - 10.6.1998 - 18.12.2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 7.7.2010 - 4.2.2015

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-23-2016, 06:43 PM
Crowned Member

For IPO, I wouldn't worry about his conformation being a disadvantage or more likely to get injured. IPO doesn't have a lot of repetitive motions and the amount of time the dog is actually working physically in positions that could cause injury is pretty minimal compared to other sports. If you were training daily and competing three weekends a month in agility, flyball, or something else like that....then you might have to be careful. For IPO I would just be careful with long bites (not doing tons just for fun, making sure the helper knows how to catch a bigger, heavier dog without jamming him, etc) and not allow the dog to jump off the tip top of the A-frame during the retrieve, but IMO that's just how I am with *any* GSD I have (my IPO GSD is 75lb and 24.5").
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 07:56 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Thanks Liesje, he is in the hands of great licensed helper so I hope that wouldn't be a problem. I'm still not comfortable letting him jump of some big heights but thanks for reminding me about A frame. Good side, he is so light on his feet, when he jumps and lands it looks so effortless, he's like a big black cat

Yelena

Amos - 10.6.1998 - 18.12.2012

- 7.7.2010 - 4.2.2015

post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 10:12 AM

I have one too and is the same look just different color
Happy plays good very energetic and is only 11months now
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 09:17 AM
Elite Member

My dog Valor is 19 months, 27.5 inches and sits about 93 to 95 lbs. His chest is narrow, his shoulders are hulking. He has taken unbalances to a whole new level lol I know he still needs to fill out a little..but I think his build will always be long legged with a narrow lower chest.

And yes, I am more careful with him as a result. At least until he is over age 2. As he gets older he is gaining more control of his gangly build. I worry about new helpers jamming him on a long bite. He comes in hard and kind of up from the bottom.

Here are some pics from various angles. You can see the narrow chest in the last one where he is sitting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3279CROP.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	516739   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3284CROP.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	516741   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3267CROP.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	516743   Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC5191.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	516745  

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 09:40 AM

I have a 10 month old male who is tall, will probably hit 90 lbs when filled out. Very clumsy on the long bite. My major concern with a taller and deep chested dog is bloat so will likely have his stomach pexied in a year-likely via laparascope. While I worry about injuries a bloat is life threatening. One of my worst days was doing a bloat surgery in the middle of the night on a SAR dog and he arrested as I was finishing. We knew the prognosis was poor as owner had been gone for a while before he was found- but still very sad.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 10:47 AM
Aly
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
WUSV team (alternate). Dasko is huge!
Dasko von der Rennbahn

Just keep his core strong to protect his back.
Not to veer OT, but how does one do that? PM me if you prefer.

Thanks!
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 03:25 AM

I had a really big GSD. He weighed 96 pounds working weight. Not an oz of fat as they say. He worked nearly every day of his life and loved it. These big dogs need careful upbringing while they are growing in the first 18 months or so. We didnít even do the 1 meter jump until he was about 18 months, then only a couple times a day for training. He was over 2 years befor we did the wall. Then I taught a run up and down no jumping although he was plent strong enough by then to jump a vertical 6 foot wall.

We rode bikes about 15 miles at a time 3 days a week plus other training. Lots of swimming lots of back yard playing with the hose. Itís amazing what you can accomplish with the hose, They love it.

If the dog is in excellent condition they can really take heavy training. Itís like us playing football. Much of our time was spent conditioning. Bruises and minor injuries healed quickly.
CometDog likes this.

Tron GSD SCH III, AD, TD. Never to be forgotten buddy
SCH III Club

Samantha, Australian Shepherd, rescued , loves everyone
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 07:55 AM
Crowned Member

I do not do Ipo but Max is lighter built even though he is a big fit dog 85lbs and quite an athlete. Max was always very agile even as a pup. Very coordinated. I think it’s why he can stop on a dime catch a blueberry in the dark at quite distance. We have woods in our backyard and he is dodging around those trees every day at full speeds. Karat our male had weighed about 90lb plus he was really stocky he had a really long back. I would not describe him as agile and fast but a very powerful brick house.
car2ner likes this.

Last edited by Jenny720; 01-13-2019 at 08:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page