Schutzhund training plan - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-08-2016, 06:54 AM Thread Starter

Schutzhund training plan

My working line GSD has just turned 4 months. I have been mostly letting just be a puppy and keeping interactions as positive as possible. I play some fetch, tug and have taught him sit and down and come commands - of course none of these are solid and do not work around distractions. Recently I started working on luring exercises for heel positions using treats. I engage with some members of a local Schutzhund club but I am curious to know what a training plan from 4 months to the point he can qualify for Schutzhund BH. I've ordered Balabanov's first 2 DVDs and also reading extensively, I just not yet have a clear view on what I should work on at watch stage of the pup's development. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-08-2016, 09:12 AM
Crowned Member

Focus, focus, focus - work on focus.....and position - imprint sit, down and stand....don't worry about heeling - if you get solid focus, heeling is going to come

also - start baby tracks - track track track....

I should practice more of what I preach too!

Lee

Hexe Sch2, Komet & Kougar IPO1, Kira HGH, SG Bengal, Lynx v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia IPO1 ~ ATB Basha, Kougar & Kyra, Fenja, Sch3s, Cito, Sch2, DangerRH, Csabre & Alice Sch1s ~Kelsey
wolfstraum.net
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-08-2016, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfstraum View Post
Focus, focus, focus - work on focus.....and position - imprint sit, down and stand....don't worry about heeling - if you get solid focus, heeling is going to come

also - start baby tracks - track track track....

Lee
Thanks Lee. That sounds like a good approach. Do you use clicker/marker training for focus and imprinting sits/stands or mostly command/lure/reward?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-08-2016, 12:40 PM
Knighted Member

When TJ was young I worked a lot on having him push into my hand for food - walking on left side and lots of left u-turns and sits. Worked focus from basic position. Played two ball (short sessions of course). And tracking.

Paisley and TJ
Leyna and Levi, RIP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-08-2016, 05:22 PM

be careful with tugging. Your pup will be teething and you don't want to associate pain with a training tug.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page