4 month old first time on puppy bite sleeve - German Shepherd Dog Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-23-2016, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 20
4 month old first time on puppy bite sleeve

This is his first day on the puppy bite sleeve. Any tips? I think he's doing great.

I try not to over work him on this since he's young. I've been using a flirt pole and then a couple on the sleeve.

Edit: I joined a local schutzhund club, and we do that every Saturday. This is just some practice in between. However at the club we are just doing flirt pole stuff (just joined)


http://youtu.be/0bhYSjHcqiA

Last edited by Milly238; 01-23-2016 at 10:05 AM.
Milly238 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-23-2016, 10:43 AM
Senior Member
 
Strikker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 346
I looked for three things, both bites were full mouth (well done)! I really liked that he did not turn on until you gave a signal, again well done. The third thing I might look for is eye contact with the agitator, could not tell at that angle and distance so not sure. One of the things I am working on with one of mine is sitting at my side not reacting to the agitator until I turn her on. This has been really hard for us to work on, please keep posting results. I would love to see how this is going with you both. You both are doing very well!

KAVAI VOM HUFEISENBERG
ROCCO HEIDELBERGER-SCHLOSS
BEYA VOM WIEZENLAND
Strikker is offline  
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-23-2016, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strikker View Post
I looked for three things, both bites were full mouth (well done)! I really liked that he did not turn on until you gave a signal, again well done. The third thing I might look for is eye contact with the agitator, could not tell at that angle and distance so not sure. One of the things I am working on with one of mine is sitting at my side not reacting to the agitator until I turn her on. This has been really hard for us to work on, please keep posting results. I would love to see how this is going with you both. You both are doing very well!
Thanks for the comment! He seems to be loving it, so as long as it looks like he's being safe I'm fine doing it! He NORMALLY has pretty good eye contact with the agitator as far as what he told me.

One thing I was wondering is
1) should I go ahead and add a command to bite (once I release leash)

2) should i give him more distance to run after the agitator ?

Thanks!
Logan
Milly238 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-23-2016, 11:13 AM
Crowned Member
 
mycobraracr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 3,847
My first recommendation would be to put the puppy in a harness so he can work without getting corrected or choked out. I also would worry less about control and try and get the puppy into more drive at this point. Work barks and get him to understand the game.

Here is a video of my wife with her male at four months.
https://youtu.be/b6PpyVDU9os

T17 Working Dogs-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
mycobraracr is offline  
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-23-2016, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mycobraracr View Post
My first recommendation would be to put the puppy in a harness so he can work without getting corrected or choked out. I also would worry less about control and try and get the puppy into more drive at this point. Work barks and get him to understand the game.

Here is a video of my wife with her male at four months.
https://youtu.be/b6PpyVDU9os
I was wondering about a harness.. Would one from say the pet store work okay? Id hate to buy a nice one and then he grow out of it in a month.


Your pup has awesome drive! Great looking dog too.
Mine doesn't really bark much...not exactly sure how to get him to be more vocal, however when he does bark I reward him
Milly238 is offline  
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-23-2016, 11:34 AM
Crowned Member
 
mycobraracr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 3,847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milly238 View Post
I was wondering about a harness.. Would one from say the pet store work okay? Id hate to buy a nice one and then he grow out of it in a month.


Your pup has awesome drive! Great looking dog too.
Mine doesn't really bark much...not exactly sure how to get him to be more vocal, however when he does bark I reward him



Cheap harnesses are fine for puppies. They grow so fast, no sense in wasting money. The bark will usually come from frustration. That also comes with more drive. At this stage it's about building the puppy. Showing him it's fun. Showing him he agitator isn't scary and teaching him the rules.

T17 Working Dogs-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
mycobraracr is offline  
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-23-2016, 11:38 AM
Senior Member
 
Strikker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 346
First I want to point out that I do not bite train my puppies, so I am just looking at points in the video that I liked. I wait until 18 months and we have a strong reliable obedience including recall and off leash work. That said, I thought the distance was fine for the size dog. Agitators will change the distance and the challenge as needed. I do have a bite command, while I am holding the leash the dog is "on guard" and be making eye contact with the agitator, once I then give the bite command and release the leash. Again, I am training my dogs with the hope "on guard" is enough and bite is something that only happens in training.

KAVAI VOM HUFEISENBERG
ROCCO HEIDELBERGER-SCHLOSS
BEYA VOM WIEZENLAND
Strikker is offline  
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-23-2016, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mycobraracr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milly238 View Post
I was wondering about a harness.. Would one from say the pet store work okay? Id hate to buy a nice one and then he grow out of it in a month.


Your pup has awesome drive! Great looking dog too.
Mine doesn't really bark much...not exactly sure how to get him to be more vocal, however when he does bark I reward him



Cheap harnesses are fine for puppies. They grow so fast, no sense in wasting money. The bark will usually come from frustration. That also comes with more drive. At this stage it's about building the puppy. Showing him it's fun. Showing him he agitator isn't scary and teaching him the rules.
Awesome I will go and get a harness for him then, and see how he likes it!
Milly238 is offline  
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-23-2016, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strikker View Post
First I want to point out that I do not bite train my puppies, so I am just looking at points in the video that I liked. I wait until 18 months and we have a strong reliable obedience including recall and off leash work. That said, I thought the distance was fine for the size dog. Agitators will change the distance and the challenge as needed. I do have a bite command, while I am holding the leash the dog is "on guard" and be making eye contact with the agitator, once I then give the bite command and release the leash. Again, I am training my dogs with the hope "on guard" is enough and bite is something that only happens in training.

Totally understand on the age. I've read a lot and I plan on not doing any defense drive training until after 12 months.

I'll start adding the command so he starts to get used to it.
Milly238 is offline  
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-23-2016, 12:18 PM
Crowned Member
 
mycobraracr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 3,847
Great! Let him wear it around the house first so he gets used to it.

Did you start your puppy on a rag and/or tug before going to a sleeve? It's nice to start them slow incase you have to go back and fix something later. There is no rush to get them on a sleeve.

T17 Working Dogs-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
mycobraracr is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome