Too young for a prong?? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-21-2015, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

Too young for a prong??

So i have my first pup right now and i plan on getting into schutzhund and protection work with him. He literally just turned 5 months old and our trainer said he was ready for a prong collar. So far we've only introduced him to it and have only used it to tighten up his heeling. I'm just not sure if that is too young or not. I have nothing against prongs i just don't want to start him too young on it. Any tips and opinions will be appreciated
thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-21-2015, 03:04 PM
Knighted Member

We started using a prong around five months, too. As long as you are using it correctly, I think it's fine.

Train the dog in front of you.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-21-2015, 03:56 PM
Crowned Member

Yes, I used a prong collar with Donner and he was about 5 months. You got to be light on the trigger if you know what I mean. It's a great tool used correctly!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-21-2015, 05:22 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

In general I recommend that people wait for their dogs' to be at least six months before using a prong - but putting one on a five month old won't harm them, especially if you are working with a trainer who knows what they are doing.

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-21-2015, 06:55 PM

I have used a prong on all three starting at 5 months. Like others, I see no problem as long as you know how to use the collar.

KAVAI VOM HUFEISENBERG
ROCCO HEIDELBERGER-SCHLOSS
BEYA VOM WIEZENLAND
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-21-2015, 07:46 PM

I see absolutely no reason to wait till a puppy is 6 months or older unless maybe you are new to training dogs in general. If you know how to use a prong correctly, its a very gentle training tool and offers a more subtle way of communicating. I heeded the advice to wait till 5-6 months with my puppy and I wished I had started sooner, he responded so much more naturally to gentle prong collar pressure vs flat collars or martingales.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-21-2015, 08:22 PM
Crowned Member

The only reason I see to put a prong on a pup is if the pup is pulling you to the point that you can't control. I put one on Karlo at about 6 months, he was a beast and no way could I handle his strength during protection(I used two lines)
My other pup hadn't had a prong on him until 11 months as he pulled me to the tracking flag, I switched the line to a flat at the flag.
I didn't need it for corrections, but more for the control in pulling, I didn't want to discourage the pulling, but just be able to deal with it.
I haven't used it with the younger dog in protection yet, he is smaller in structure and I can post him somewhat on a harness without needing a prong.
Though he is a challenge to post!
Gambit the pup(12 months):

Karlo the Beast at 17 months:

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18

Last edited by onyx'girl; 12-21-2015 at 08:25 PM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-21-2015, 10:04 PM
Master Member

My pup's trainer put a prong on him at 5 months.

There were several GSD pups in his 1st basic obedience class and I noticed that they were all wearing prong collars.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-21-2015, 10:51 PM
Crowned Member

Mine had one on at 5 months. Possibly earlier. It's all in how you use it. Just make sure you are rewarding him more than correcting him!

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-22-2015, 08:37 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the reassurance. He is my first dog and i just want to make sure im doing as much right as i can. Up untill now the most he has ever gotten was a vocal correction like an EHH or a NO. i never used a martingale or a flat he just had a regular harness. My trainer did say that to use gentle and quick corrections always followed by lots of praise and to never be pulling him on the prong or be using long and strong corrections. He is responding we to it.
thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page