Epic BH Fail - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
The "I'm not dead yet" Administrator.

Epic BH Fail

So Nix and I tried for our BH today, and as the title says, we failed. Spectacularly.

Everything I was worried about, he did fine, the things I was not worried about, he blew and big time.

Seriously, it was like the dog had never been asked to heel before. Oh yeah, and during the off leash portion, he left and peed on a tree. So yeah.

Totally embarrassed and humbled. Ah well.

The judge was amazing. I really expected about 1/2 through the on leash portion to be excused. But he came over and gave me some lovely words of encouragement. But my nerves just totally got the best of us.

Lots of lessons learned. And the judge had some lovely words about Nix during the critique and was very encouraging about trying again. Which I absolutely will.

But Mr. Nix is going into boot camp now. Time to really amp it up I guess. No more Mrs. Nice guy trainer.

Now, it is 5 o'clock somewhere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 12:19 PM
Crowned Member

Its amazing how they can pick up on some subtle change and just know when they don't have to mind. You know now that he'll do that, I bet you get a good routine next time.
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 12:59 PM

I'm sure the judges see a lot of that.And the poor handlers just want to crawl in a hole.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

Oh yeah. I am totally embarrassed. But it's the journey, this is my first time doing any type of sport in nearly 20 years. I have certified plenty of SAR dogs, multiple times. But I just got so nervous I could not collect myself and my dog knew it.

And next time will be better. It could not be any worse. So there is that to look forward too. LOL.
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 01:10 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Who was the judge?

I have seen the human nerves do some amazing things in trials. It is surprising at times that any of us pass and our dogs still recognize us as their normal person.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 01:12 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdsar View Post
And next time will be better. It could not be any worse. So there is that to look forward too. LOL.
There you go - you got that out of the way! It's only up from here.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 01:21 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
But Mr. Nix is going into boot camp now. Time to really amp it up I guess. No more Mrs. Nice guy trainer.
Its not 5 yet, so someone showed me a good little trick with my Rott. I'd have a prong in my pocket, heel him on the fursaver and as soon as he lost any attention, I'd stop, put the prong on to get his attention back, then take it off and go back to the fursaver. He figured I could always take out a prong as easy as a toy.
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhczth View Post
Who was the judge?

I have seen the human nerves do some amazing things in trials. It is surprising at times that any of us pass and our dogs still recognize us as their normal person.
Not sure. A German guy. He was super. And he nailed it. My handling and my nerves got the best of us. I did not give the dog any reason to follow me. Totally a failure on my part.

I am now THAT person that people will be talking about and shaking their head about for years to come. It seriously looked like I had never trained my dog. I mean it was THAT bad.
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 02:04 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Strom View Post
Its not 5 yet, so someone showed me a good little trick with my Rott. I'd have a prong in my pocket, heel him on the fursaver and as soon as he lost any attention, I'd stop, put the prong on to get his attention back, then take it off and go back to the fursaver. He figured I could always take out a prong as easy as a toy.
Hey, good one! Unless they push the envelope to see if you actually will!! LOL!
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 02:10 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdsar View Post
So Nix and I tried for our BH today, and as the title says, we failed. Spectacularly.

Everything I was worried about, he did fine, the things I was not worried about, he blew and big time.

Seriously, it was like the dog had never been asked to heel before. Oh yeah, and during the off leash portion, he left and peed on a tree. So yeah.

Totally embarrassed and humbled. Ah well.

The judge was amazing. I really expected about 1/2 through the on leash portion to be excused. But he came over and gave me some lovely words of encouragement. But my nerves just totally got the best of us.

Lots of lessons learned. And the judge had some lovely words about Nix during the critique and was very encouraging about trying again. Which I absolutely will.

Now, it is 5 o'clock somewhere.
I am very sorry to hear that, but you are far from alone!!

A new friend of mine did beautiful OB with her Mal. She also failed the BH because of nerves. If I do try for it in February, I am going to have the same nerve problem.

What training did you do that you would like to change? You said "No more Mrs. Nice Guy Trainer".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page