Went to helper instead of me - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-14-2015, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

Went to helper instead of me

We are training for IPO and I have got a 11 month old girl who has got super high prey drive (which is increasing every time we do protection training). We havent got that far yet when she is still so young, but she is a promising IPO dog this far.

At todays training something got stuck in my mind. It may be stupid but still just gotta ask about this. We had been doing the training for a pretty long time already at this point. The dog went for the sleeve and got it by herself. She circulated some meters away from us with the sleeve and I called her. She came but went to the helper with the sleeve instead of me? What? Didnt really matter much at that point, but does this indicate something bad with our relationship/recall problems? Or did she just go to the helper because the helper is the one playing with her during the whole protectiontraining (and I am just the one giving boring obedience commands..)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-14-2015, 03:37 PM
Crowned Member

Simple answer. The helper is fun, you mean the fun is over.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-14-2015, 03:43 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Normal - not a reflection on you at all. It's a good thing that she wants to engage with the helper, shows she is comfortable with the work and finds it rewarding (a dog that is stressed and unsure will want to avoid the helper).

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-14-2015, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycobraracr View Post
Simple answer. The helper is fun, you mean the fun is over.
Thanks! Am I correct if I say that I dont think there is any way to make me more fun at the protection training when I already do my best to praise her when she is doing right? I am still the person that have to demand her to listen to my commands and she is not super fond of that there is suddenly obedience included in this training.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-14-2015, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castlemaid View Post
Normal - not a reflection on you at all. It's a good thing that she wants to engage with the helper, shows she is comfortable with the work and finds it rewarding (a dog that is stressed and unsure will want to avoid the helper).
Thanks a bunch! I am relieved and satisfied the answers I have got. Got worried that there could have been something wrong going on between my girl and I, but this is just great to hear!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-14-2015, 03:58 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Thanks! Am I correct if I say that I dont think there is any way to make me more fun at the protection training when I already do my best to praise her when she is doing right? I am still the person that have to demand her to listen to my commands and she is not super fond of that there is suddenly obedience included in this training.
I just realized my comment may have come off as rude. I apologize.

It all comes down to how the dog is being worked. If this is a concern to you, then don't let the helper slip the sleeve until you have a line on your dog. Once the line is on, let helper slip, recall dog back to you and when she comes to you, YOU play with her and the sleeve like a giant tug. Don't put it on, just be interactive with her and the sleeve.

Again, it comes down to how the dog is worked. I don't slip sleeves. I am not a reward. I'm an adversary.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-14-2015, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycobraracr View Post
I just realized my comment may have come off as rude. I apologize.

It all comes down to how the dog is being worked. If this is a concern to you, then don't let the helper slip the sleeve until you have a line on your dog. Once the line is on, let helper slip, recall dog back to you and when she comes to you, YOU play with her and the sleeve like a giant tug. Don't put it on, just be interactive with her and the sleeve.

Again, it comes down to how the dog is worked. I don't slip sleeves. I am not a reward. I'm an adversary.
No need to apologize, I understood what you meant. Thanks, now I understand the whole situation and why it happened no worries left.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 04:57 PM
Master Member

There may be things you can do during protection (with the helper's aid) that will help her see your presence as more positive. Hard to know which ones to try without being there, or if it is even anything to worry about.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 01:35 PM

Factor.. My GSD goes right back to the helper as if to say... nice try dude!!! He seems to be challenging him for another shot at a fight, wrestling match or just wants to do it over again.. At one place where we just started serious training this summer he is a little more insecure and won't let go of the sleeve until he jumps into the car at the very end. (He does out on command but used to leave the sleeve at the end of the pathway before the parking lot in the other place I train....)
Don't worry, at least in my case this is behavior was a good sign. He is now three years old and is really showing strong and dominant. (He is a late bloomer...)

Phil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page