(more) BH questions - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2015, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Send a message via MSN to VomBlack
(more) BH questions

So after numerous setbacks over the years I finally plan on going for the BH with Odin in a couple of weeks. I have the heeling pattern memorized, but will the judge kind of explain the exercises after that as far as recall and out of motion instructions? Silly question, just not sure if I need to memorize everything or if my nerves will get to me and cause me to forget some things. Not sure what to expect and I'm hoping I don't bomb it. And perhaps maybe not a great comparison but in terms in difficulty/precision.. how does it compare to the AKC CD?

I feel like I may be needlessly freaking out over this. At almost 7 I don't think we'll be moving to IPO1 but perhaps tracking titles.. it's been a goal of mine to at least get a BH with Odin.

Also, good resource for most current BH rules/requirements? Sometimes it's hard to keep up on changes..

Kelli Black &
Bianka "Shade" v. Littlehaus (2/2/11)
Wodanaz "Odin" BH, CD, RE, TT, CGC, TDI, OFA H/E (2/13/09)

"Utility is the true criterion of beauty."
- Captain Max von Stephanitz

Last edited by VomBlack; 10-10-2015 at 10:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2015, 10:42 PM
Crowned Member

The judge usually calls everyone together and ask's if there are any questions. Some will have specific instructions like going back to where you begin the pattern after the Sit in motion for the down in motion. And the motion exercises require a complete stop and pause now.

The best place to look is the rule book. Are you a USCA member? Its a free pdf on the website.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2015, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

I am a WDA member, the trial is USCA. Just want to make sure I am as prepared as I can be.

Kelli Black &

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2015, 10:32 AM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

I have not watched this video, but have read it is quite helpful.

Complete Guide to the BH - High In Trial

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2015, 10:37 AM

Also, the BH is pass/fail. You are scored, but only so the judge knows whether or not you have earned sufficient points to go onto the traffic portion.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2015, 11:55 AM
Crowned Member

Typically, you'll be called to a "handler's meeting" before the trial starts, and the judge will explain exactly what they're looking for as far as special instructions. Otherwise, its typical to look to the judge's command when starting any exercise. They will nod or wave or just verbally tell you when to start the heeling pattern, and you should look to them at the halts in that exercise (before entering the group, when taking the leash off, at the halt in the group, etc) After that, you heel back to the start and look to them to indicate your start of the sit out of motion, which you command after the proper steps in the build up before it. The same goes for the down out of motion. When you turn and face your dog in each of these exercises, its customary to look to the judge for instruction, and if none is given, wait three whole seconds before returning to or recalling your dog. You should wait three seconds in the front position after the recall before putting your dog into heel position as well. Look to the judge before taking the leash off for the long down, and then again look to them before commanding your dog into the down, as well as before you command them to sit after the long down has been completed.

The USCA rule book is updated and current.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2015, 05:18 PM
Crowned Member

So basically, memorize the entire routine but if you get lost some judges will help you if you are new at this.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2015, 05:24 PM

Smile, remember that this is not life or death. Have fun.

Lisa Clark

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2015, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Thanks everyone!

Kelli Black &

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page