The track as a reward? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

The track as a reward?

Hi to all,

I have posted before on my girl's apparent lack of drive for toys, tugs, essentially not showing any drive for protection.

I have been concentrating on her high food drive for tracking. I am also learning to lay tracks. She is doing well and keeps her nose on the ground intensely. I have been told to play with her as a reward after the track. But she does not appear to acknowledge that as fun since she has no tug drive and the ball is borderline. In other words, it is anticlimactic.

I think she wishes there was more track and food? She is 1 year old. I am beginning to extend the track longer and longer. We are just beginners so the track is about 60- 70 feet.

What is a reward for a dog like this? TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 09:55 PM
The "I'm not dead yet" Administrator.

I don't use a toy on my track. He gets a pile of food at the end.

"So that others may live"

Hannah vom Steffenhaus, BH, Wilderness SAR
Eisenhower v.d Polizei "Ike" Wilderness SAR, CGC
B'Lena z. Treuenhanden
Nixon vom Banach, RATN
Phoster, FEMA USAR(Labrador)
Ch. Pennywise Sticky Wicket(Dandie Dinmont Terrier)
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 10:01 PM
Crowned Member

Karlo tracks to track...articles and food on his track are mostly an annoyance to him. When I do put a toy at the end, he just wants to keep on tracking.
He would much rather 'man-track' than do the IPO style.
I have to let him know(food, verbal praise) that he is correct in this obedience based type tracking. It isn't natural to him to want to track for articles or a toy....he'd much rather have an exciting find.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

I was told not to "jackpot" the end or they will rush and be inaccurate on the track. Have you found this to be true?
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 10:04 PM
The "I'm not dead yet" Administrator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdluvr View Post
I was told not to "jackpot" the end or they will rush and be inaccurate on the track. Have you found this to be true?

No. My boy loves tracking. He often leaves food on the track. I don't see how using a toy at the end would be any less capable of creating "rushing" than food, for a dog with good toy drive. Same thing.

"So that others may live"

Hannah vom Steffenhaus, BH, Wilderness SAR
Eisenhower v.d Polizei "Ike" Wilderness SAR, CGC
B'Lena z. Treuenhanden
Nixon vom Banach, RATN
Phoster, FEMA USAR(Labrador)
Ch. Pennywise Sticky Wicket(Dandie Dinmont Terrier)
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 10:06 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdluvr View Post
yes, if the food drive is high, yet you have to reward or at least acknowledge the end of the track. Quiet Praise may be enough, with a small jackpot to signal the end...pull the dog off and put up in crate for processing if the track was a learning session.
I would rather do some serpentines, or complicated tracks if the dog is rushing, I want the dog to think. Yet do it so the dog is set up to succeed. Track laying is difficult when you do get into the more intricate stuff.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Always in my heart
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Thank you, I will do that tomorrow.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 10:40 PM
Crowned Member

I don't think its necessary to have any additional motivator at the end of the track if the dog enjoys tracking itself, especially if the dog doesn't particularly enjoy the reward that you're offering anyway. If you are pleased with her tracking behavior, why not just expand your criteria? Add length to the track, start picking up more food, age it longer, etc.

I have personally known some dogs who have learned to rush to the end of the track to get to a "jackpot" or higher value reward, and I chose not to do so myself for my current dog.

Feuergarten German Shepherds

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 11:33 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDog View Post
I don't think its necessary to have any additional motivator at the end of the track if the dog enjoys tracking itself, especially if the dog doesn't particularly enjoy the reward that you're offering anyway. If you are pleased with her tracking behavior, why not just expand your criteria? Add length to the track, start picking up more food, age it longer, etc.

I have personally known some dogs who have learned to rush to the end of the track to get to a "jackpot" or higher value reward, and I chose not to do so myself for my current dog.
so how do you end your tracks?

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Always in my heart
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 11:51 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDog View Post

so how do you end your tracks?
At an article. Sometimes pretend reporting out to judge and give a ball as we heel back to the car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page