HELP with my dog's drive/protection - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

HELP with my dog's drive/protection

Just had an evaluation on my 2yo male for potential with protection training. He has a great prey drive but couldn't care less about a ball/toy as a reward. From observing other handlers and their dogs I have noticed that the dogs often go KOOKOOO nuts for the tug toy or ball on a rope. Will the lack of this be an issue for me?
-any way to build this drive?
-tips on training
-i am trying to get him interested in the tug so am spending countless time playing with that.
any tips or recommendations are welcome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 08:37 PM
Crowned Member

I would work with the club and other handlers, or their TD for advice on your boy. They see him first hand, and can be more effective in giving advice on his individual needs.
Backtying can benefit the need to possess and tug...though I would work with someone experienced to help you with that as well(especially for a maturing structure).

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 09:58 PM
Crowned Member

What does your dog like?
Constantly playing with something the dog isn't into is just going to make it not like it more. There is a method to the madness.
I agree, work with a club and see what they want you to do. No interest in balls/tugs is ok. There are other motivators, you just need to find what works for your dog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 10:58 PM

at home, a flirt pole. it's got many uses but in your case will increase your dogs interest in the toy/tug/rag... he catches it, you grab it, let him win often at the slightest bit of resistance... increase duration until you're tugging.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!

Last edited by Fodder; 09-16-2015 at 11:01 PM.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 11:59 PM
Crowned Member

Flirt pole is a good idea. Another thing that works is for me to fuss over the object and not offer it to the dog. Maybe toss it back and forth between the humans a few times -- just fuss over the darned thing like it's a pot of gold but fragile.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 12:06 AM Thread Starter

My dog is motivated by treats for sure! I've been working with a tug the past couple of nights and his interest is improving.
-He will be working with another handler/their dog who is very motivated on saturday with my trainer. CROSSED FINGERS he copies!

ill try and keep you all updated but i am very dedicated to improving my bong with Ruger and whether it be this or something else we will surely continue to work at it hard!
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 02:22 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaudlee View Post
Just had an evaluation on my 2yo male for potential with protection training. He has a great prey drive but couldn't care less about a ball/toy as a reward. From observing other handlers and their dogs I have noticed that the dogs often go KOOKOOO nuts for the tug toy or ball on a rope. Will the lack of this be an issue for me?
-any way to build this drive?
-tips on training
-i am trying to get him interested in the tug so am spending countless time playing with that.
any tips or recommendations are welcome
My dog's being evaluated for personal protection training in two weeks.
He is 13 months old.
When he was evaluated at 5 months, the trainer noticed that he didn't have much of a ball drive and said to try and get him to be interested in playing with a ball to create ball drive.

He loves anything that squeaks so I got him the large size Kong tennis balls. They squeak!! And that got him on the road to loving 2 ball fetch and playing any game that involved those balls. When I hide them, he goes crazy looking for them. So if he doesn't qualify for protection, I'm thinkin he might do ok at nose work : )
good luck. I'd be interested hear how your dog does at his evaluation.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 03:37 PM
Crowned Member

A dog doesn't need "ball drive" for protection work. They are not related.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 04:19 PM
Banned

prey drive is important for the IPO protection phase
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 09:41 PM
Master Member

jaudlee. A while back I started this thread: Ball Drive. Why is it so important?
You might be interested in reading it. There's a lot of back and forth conversations between people who seem very knowledgeable about drives and how they relate to training/work/ and sport.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page