Questions about the AD endurance title - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 11:56 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Talking Questions about the AD endurance title

I am curious as to how many of you have gotten your dogs an AD certificate. I have read a few different websites about the endurance test but I have some questions and would love to hear your opinion on the importance of the title as well as your personal experience with the test. I know that it is 12.5 miles, they usually try and schedule it for early morning and they cannot hold the test if the temperature goes beyond a certain degree. From the websites, I gather that you get several brakes every 5 to 8 miles, and that you are timed on how quickly you get through and if you are to slow you are disqualified.
Here are a few of my questions.
1. How easy is it to pass the AD?
2. What is the best age for your dog to try?
3. Did you run the course with your dog or ride your bike?
4. During the brakes is it safe and recommended to offer your dog water?
5. How many dogs are usually going for the test at once (I realize the number will fluctuate depending on season, area, and advertising)?
6. How did you prepare yourself and your dog for this test (did you run 8-12 miles with them a few days a week? Were you building up the amount of exercise for several months until you peeked around 13 miles)?
7. Did you find that after building them up to this level that you had unknowingly conditioned your dog to NEED that much exercise regularly?
8. How important (compared to other titles and certificates) do you think the AD title is? Is it something you look for and are impressed by when looking at a pedigree?
9. How common are these tests (held only once a year or every few months)?
10. Percentage of dogs that make it compared to dogs that don’t?
I am sure I might think of a few more questions. Lobo will be 16 months in a few days and we definitely won’t be trying for the AD until later 2016. I am thinking it will be safer to wait and get his hips and elbows OFA’ed before trying such an intense physical exam. I am making a list of goals for us to accomplish in the next few years and the AD was a title I had looked into but have not been able to find as much info as I would like. I couldn’t find another thread exclusively on this topic but if there is one feel free to direct me there; also, if this is in the wrong section please move this post

"Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
—Ann Landers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 12:22 AM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

1. How easy is it to pass the AD?.

Pretty easy for a reasonably fit and healthy dog.

Max age allowed is 6 years old. So any time before your dog turns seven.

I've never heard of running your dog. I believe that the rules are that the dog is to be biked.

the Judge will let you know if you can give water. Judge said no water when we did our AD.

5. How many dogs are usually going for the test at once (I realize the number will fluctuate depending on season, area, and advertisement)?

No idea. We had about five dogs, two of those where last-minute entries (on the day of the trial)

6. How did you prepare yourself and your dog for this test (did you run 8-12 miles with them a few days a week? Were you building up the amount of exercise for several months until you peeked around 13 miles)?

I Biked Keeta about two or three times a week. On weekdays I did shorter runs (3-5 kms) and pushed for speed for fitness, on weekends when I had more time we did more leisurely distances at a comfortable pace. I usually aimed for 10-14 kms (12.5 miles translates to 20 kms). I only did the whole 20 km once during training just to say that I did it.

7. Did you find that after building them up to this level that you had unknowingly conditioned your dog to NEED that much exercise regularly?

Nope.

8. How important (compared to other titles and certificates) do you think the AD title is? Is it something you look for and are impressed by when looking at a pedigree?

In the German SV system, the AD is part of the Breed Survey, and thus a requirement for breeding. Any breed-surveyed dog you see will have done (and passed) an AD. For the rest of us, we do it for the challenge, and just to get something to brag about and have fun doing it.

Some Schutzhund clubs will offer them when they hold a trial. How common they are will depend on how many SchH clubs are in your area, how often they hold trials, and if they will offer the AD at the trial. You don't have to be a member of a SchH club to do an AD, but you do have to join one of the parent Organizations (I'm in Canada, so not familiar enough with the US counterparts to specify how to go about doing that.)

The vast majority of dogs that are in reasonable condition (don't even need to be super-fit) will easily make it. When our club did an AD, all five dogs passed - two of the dogs were mixed breeds. Dogs usually fail due to injury (they start limping along the way), or at a paw check during one of the breaks. The most common issue that causes a dog to be disqualified are bleeding paws from running on pavement. A lot of clubs try to set up their course so the dogs can run on grass or soft ground, but that is tricky when the dog is tethered to a bicycle. For that reason, while training, I alternated between biking Keeta on dirt roads and paved roads to toughen up her pads.

Remember too that at the end of the AD, the dogs will get a 15 minute rest break, then will be expected to do a little obedience routinge- all part of testing the dog's work ethic, even after running an endurance event. it wasn't anything formal - the judge had us line up with our dogs, and called out a few basic exercises with some heeling. Again, none of the dogs had any issues .

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Thank you so much! That is very helpful. OK so it is strictly biking, I wasn't sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 07:30 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Lucia answered most of your questions.

The AD is not a title. It is a requirement for the breed survey. The minimum I have ever done an AD with is 2 dogs. They can be larger, though I would have to read the rule book to know if there is a limit.

I generally wait to do the AD until after the dog has its OFA's so after 2.

Most AD are held in the fall or spring since there is a maximum temperature that they can be run. I think 72 F.

I have always offered my dogs a small amount of water (not a lot) and walked them before, during the breaks and before the obedience portion (which isn't really much obedience since a dog doesn't even have to have a BH yet to do the AD).

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 09:51 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

I think the maximum number of dogs allowed for an AD event is 20. Also, the dog has to be on the right side of the bicycle for safety - it places them on the side of the road with the handler being between them and traffic, so make sure you train your dog on your right side.

Some dogs, if always on the left, will get confused on the right side and won't know what to do, so just get them comfortable with that before actually doing the official run.

Lucia

2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 08:11 PM
Crowned Member

1. How easy is it to pass the AD?
Pretty easy, IMO, of all the things I've done with my dog this required pretty minimal training and effort on my part.

Doesn't matter I don't think. I mean, I wanted to do breed surveys so this had to be done first. One dog was 20 months, one dog was 4 years.

I thought you had to bike? I did two dogs in one trial so I biked and held one leash and a friend helped me out by biking next to me and holding the other dog's leash.

Just a little bit, I never let my dogs gulp a lot of water immediately after exercise.

5. How many dogs are usually going for the test at once (I realize the number will fluctuate depending on season, area, and advertising)?
The trial I did had a lot, almost 20.

I biked both dogs 2-3 miles 2-4 times a week and then did one longer one like 6 miles about a week and a half before the AD. We trained *for* the AD maybe 1.5-2 months, but my dogs were/are physically fit and train and compete in other dog sports. It was mostly about toughening the pads on one of my dog, his feet have always have pads that wear faster (burns pads in flyball). Other dog was fine running and training on pavement.

No? But see above, we didn't train that hard and my dogs already got/get exercise and training.

Well I wanted to breed survey these dogs so it was necessary. I don't do it with dogs I'm not going to breed survey. I have plenty of other ways I'm already testing their fitness and stamina with actual titles.

As common as Schutzhund trials.

I think all dogs pass unless there is something wrong with them (fat, injured, some temperament issue like they are out of control around the other dogs, refuse to run next to a bike)

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 10:42 AM

This is an older thread, but rather than start a new one on AD, I'm piggy backing. I was aware of the BH requirement and I don't know how I missed the AD when reading about IPO (IGP) as a sport I was interested in. Someone just mentioned it today. I am so very bummed out.

I have some physical limitations that would preclude me riding a bike that long (12.5 miles), and I certainly cannot run/jog. Assuming I could bike without putting myself in a lot of pain and risking injury, I live in a dense urban area and can't imagine where I'd be able to run a dog next to a bike anywhere near me without getting run over. Do I just give up on the idea of doing this sport with my dog, or have any of you in a similar situation found a way to over come this? Maybe conditioning the dog on a treadmill, then have a trainer get the dog used to running next to a bike and run the dog during the AD test?

Last edited by Felafufu; 03-01-2019 at 11:07 AM.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 11:28 AM
Crowned Member

The AD is not a requirement to title. It is a requirement to earn a breed survey. If you want, someone else can bike your dog.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 11:28 AM
Crowned Member

Most of my breeding dogs have been breed surveyed and therefore have done the AD along with a couple of extra. Kira (HGH) had not had bitework or an AD when I did her koer last July - the AD is not required of a dog wiht an HGH (Herding title)....

Komet did his around 2 with no prep - he had been in herding training for a few months - so assume he was reasonably fit. Heiko Grubbe (SV) was the judge and he is a STICKLER for the AD - he rides a bike with the dogs. There were 2 dogs doing it, and the course was in an office complex entirely on pavement. The owner of his sire rode the bike - I am incapable! LOL

Most of my other dogs did theirs at my club in Ohio - a dirt/lightly graveled road apx 1/2 mile in length entering a park is used for all their ADs. Nice place, they have picnic shelters and rest rooms. Various friends and the club TD have done my dogs for me....one dog was handed to a friend/member a week previously, he rode the dog around the field to see if he would go with the bike....none were specifically conditioned, a couple had 2 or 3 rides before the test. A reasonably fit dog should have no problem doing it without too much prep.

Lee

Hexe Sch2, Komet & Kougar IPO1, Kira HGH, SG Bengal, Lynx v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia IPO1 ~ ATB Basha, Kougar & Kyra, Fenja, Sch3s, Cito, Sch2, DangerRH, Csabre & Alice Sch1s ~Kelsey
wolfstraum.net
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 11:48 AM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

As Jax08 said, the AD is not required to do IPO/IGP. It is a requirement only for the breed survey (along with passing hips/elbows, conformation rating and title).

If you plan on breed surveying your dog for breeding or showing (conformation) then someone else can ride the bike. If the course is entirely on pavement (something I try to prevent) then your dog's feet will need to be conditioned to trotting on pavement. That can't be done on a treadmill, but I don't see why they rest of the conditioning couldn't be. The dog does not have to be used to biking 12.5 miles, though. I think the most I have ever done was 6-7 when conditioning my dogs. There are two breaks in the AD and most dogs seem to handle the distance with energy to spare.
Jax08 likes this.

Lisa Clark

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page