I am curious as to how many of you have gotten your dogs an AD certificate. I have read a few different websites about the endurance test but I have some questions and would love to hear your opinion on the importance of the title as well as your personal experience with the test. I know that it is 12.5 miles, they usually try and schedule it for early morning and they cannot hold the test if the temperature goes beyond a certain degree. From the websites, I gather that you get several brakes every 5 to 8 miles, and that you are timed on how quickly you get through and if you are to slow you are disqualified.
Here are a few of my questions.
1. How easy is it to pass the AD?
2. What is the best age for your dog to try?
3. Did you run the course with your dog or ride your bike?
4. During the brakes is it safe and recommended to offer your dog water?
5. How many dogs are usually going for the test at once (I realize the number will fluctuate depending on season, area, and advertising)?
6. How did you prepare yourself and your dog for this test (did you run 8-12 miles with them a few days a week? Were you building up the amount of exercise for several months until you peeked around 13 miles)?
7. Did you find that after building them up to this level that you had unknowingly conditioned your dog to NEED that much exercise regularly?
8. How important (compared to other titles and certificates) do you think the AD title is? Is it something you look for and are impressed by when looking at a pedigree?
9. How common are these tests (held only once a year or every few months)?
10. Percentage of dogs that make it compared to dogs that don’t?
I am sure I might think of a few more questions. Lobo will be 16 months in a few days and we definitely won’t be trying for the AD until later 2016. I am thinking it will be safer to wait and get his hips and elbows OFA’ed before trying such an intense physical exam. I am making a list of goals for us to accomplish in the next few years and the AD was a title I had looked into but have not been able to find as much info as I would like. I couldn’t find another thread exclusively on this topic but if there is one feel free to direct me there; also, if this is in the wrong section please move this post