Questions about the AD endurance title - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 12:28 PM
Elite Member

1. How easy is it to pass the AD?
With a fit young dog? Easy.

3. Did you run the course with your dog or ride your bike?
You have to ride a bike

4. During the brakes is it safe and recommended to offer your dog water?
The judge will tell you.It was November, we did not need any water

5. How many dogs are usually going for the test at once (I realize the number will fluctuate depending on season, area, and advertising)?
We had 4 or so
6. How did you prepare yourself and your dog for this test (did you run 8-12 miles with them a few days a week? Were you building up the amount of exercise for several months until you peeked around 13 miles)?
I didn't. I often do a 6 mile jog with my dog. Sometimes I will do it twice a day. Dog uses about ...oh...5% of the gas in his tank for that. 45 minutes of 2 ball or fetch are the only things that make him look like he had a workout, and that is sprinting the whole time. ONE thing I would have done differently...practiced heeling on a bike beforehand. It was baptism by fire for us. On the way out of the the fist leg I looked like Phoebe from Friends when she was learning to ride as an adult lol We got it down by the end. Harmony in pace and position was eventually achieved, seconds before i threw the bike in the woods and quit lol

7. Did you find that after building them up to this level that you had unknowingly conditioned your dog to NEED that much exercise regularly?
No, but we are fairly active anyway. We have done day long hikes up mountains, hours long.

8. How important (compared to other titles and certificates) do you think the AD title is? Is it something you look for and are impressed by when looking at a pedigree?
I did it because I liked challenges and the trophy was bigger than the BH we earned that weekend Like others said you need it for the SV Breed Survey

9. How common are these tests (held only once a year or every few months)?
It seems my club offers it when they do a yearly trial. I'm green yet, and have not attended other trials, yet.

Other questions you asked- someone else can run your dog if you can't. We had an older woman have someone run her Dobie.

It was fun, and funny at times I'll be doing it with each dog,and would take another's dog for them if they could not bike.

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 11:27 PM

Castlmaid covered the event pretty well. Iíll add a few things.

When I decided to do the AD I had never even seen it before. As with all my sports competitions I go for the win not just also ran. So I train excessively according to some. Playing hurt probably goes back to the first time I fell down as an infant. Fortunately my dog seemed to be of the same line of thought.

I did the AD many years ago but I donít think much has changed.
Itís not a required title except as previously noted.
I did it partly as conditioning and partly as my dog had boundless energy. Just briefly, I didnít expect to donthe AD. And full SCH III the same day, but it gives you and idea of the energy my dog had.

I was fortunate to be able to bike the distance and we practiced about three days a week for several months.

The day was very hot about 95 f and the judge nearly called it off. He said he would stop it if the dogs began weakening. We stopped twice to give the dogs water and for the judge to examin the dogs. At the end was a short obedience routine that he called out as we performed. My dog wasnít even tired. The two Rotties nearly passed out. One dog was pulled.

Once back at the field they announced that the SCH III dogs were to go to the tracking field. We did and we passed, not spectacularly but I was happy.

We had about two hours off then the SCH III obedience was called. No problems here, not perfect but not bad.

We had another couple hours off and SCH III protection was called. We had a coulpe minor points off in the middle of the test but finished with a powerful courage test with a couple points off for ďbothering the helper after the outĒ

Like I said play to win, when things get tough I just stay calm and play as hard as I can.

So, could you do this? 7-9 mph on the bike for 12.5 miles. On a sunny hot day itís a test for you if you are not a biker. You will have to hold the leash in one hand (right) or more dangerously hold it under your hand on the handle bars. This means sitting and pedaling with no real hand power. I donít know what the bikers call it but basically pedaling and steering with one hand. I donít think you can use a ďspringerĒ No handler help. The dog has to heel at your side. Most likely on the right. So itís advantageous to train a right side heel too. I do anyway so it was no problem even today with my Aussie. You have to make sure the dog doesnít react to virtually anything. You donít need to go down in the test with the dog alerting on a rabbit. Your dog needs to be able to follow another dog or lead the ďpackĒ . You may be fortunate enough to ride in a pack. The judge will be in front either in the back of a van or truck....SUV today.LOL 9 pass. wagon in my day. Be sure to practice on both pavement and gravel shoulder of the road. Your practice will help condition your dogs feet. Many dogs donít really get much moving exercise. I like to walk for my own health. We go 3-12 miles a day. The short side in the rain or below 0 days.

At the stops the judge will check the dogís eyes and ears for signs of excess heat. Then he will examine the feet for wear. So the dog needs to be comfortable with this.

If you can find a water bottle with a built in dish itís great. I have one I got at Petco. Carry an extra bottle of water. Carry water for yourself.

I donít remember the collar. I had either a fur saver or nylon flat collar and soft 6 foot nylon leash.

Wear some kind of hat and sun screen. Suitable shoes. Bikers wear funny shoes I just wear athletic shoes. If you want to wear gloves, I guess itís ok.

Make sure the bike is in good shape. With all the time dog training I didnít have time to mess with it so I took it to the bike shop. I told him it better not break down or he would be dealing with me AND my dog. LOL

As for yourself, you will have to determine what you can do. A good marathon runner could do it with out a bike. Take a ride on a bike. There should be some bike trails around and you can ride on the road side. Just start with an easy ride say a mile. The test will be pretty level but you may have some ups and downs. Bump it to two miles. Then pick up the pace to the 9 mph rate then add distance. Itís only a little over an hour ride. Call it 45 min out 45 min back. When you can do that without huffing and puffing, you are ready. If you are not a rider it may take a while.....the event is a test not a Sunday afternoon ride to A&W.

As for the number of dogs, I think the most Iíve ever seen was 6.

The event is not offered at all trials. You may want to talk to the trial host before the event and they might add the event ....just for you.

Age of the dog, I wouldnít do it before 2 1/2 years with GSD, Rotti, Dobe. A Mal or any Belgian dog 2 years min. You might have to check the rule book for sure. My Aussie could have done it at a year not that I would have tested her. Just make sure the dog is sound. It would be terrible to have a dog have a bad physical experience on this test. It is a test for structure and stamina for the dog so it is real and reasonable. Thatís what itís for.

I guess thatís about it. If you have other questions please ask away.

Tron GSD SCH III, AD, TD. Never to be forgotten buddy
SCH III Club

Samantha, Australian Shepherd, rescued , loves everyone
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 09:52 AM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

You can use a Springer. Have used one in every AD I have done.
CometDog likes this.

Lisa Clark

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 12:08 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentwings1 View Post
Age of the dog, I wouldn’t do it before 2 1/2 years with GSD, Rotti, Dobe. A Mal or any Belgian dog 2 years min. You might have to check the rule book for sure. My Aussie could have done it at a year not that I would have tested her. Just make sure the dog is sound. It would be terrible to have a dog have a bad physical experience on this test. It is a test for structure and stamina for the dog so it is real and reasonable. That’s what it’s for.

Is that because of concerns that the growth plates are not fused/closed? What is the earliest you would start biking with a GSD just for exercise?
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 02:06 PM

Thanks Ms. lisa. I donít think they had been on the market or werenít popular yet in my time. The judges simply said they wanted loose leash no excessive pulling or lagging. Just a natural pace.

Chip, yeah, the growth plates are the issue. I say that as second hand info as thatís what Iím told. We took our dogs on short bike rides before they were a year old but not fast or long. Just for exercise. Itís easier than us walking many miles. My Aussie at a year old wasnít even tired after several miles of walking. I use pulling on the leash as a trained exercise, then alternate with close order heel, both left and right sides. Itís also a mental exercise. The GSDís normal walk is faster than our comfortable walk so a slow bike ride at the dogs easy pace wonít hurt them. Todayís working dogs are much more sound than they were years ago. Bad hips and elbows were rampant then. Many dogs were retired before they even started.

The more modern breeders have done a pretty good job of breeding out these problems even though itís still a concern.
Iíd still go with nothing hard until at least 18 months. There are plenty of other exercises to train for as a youngster..

I do a lot of training right in my living room. Retrieve, low jumps, weaves. I block in the dining room table with six chairs. Then toss a retriev object so the dog has to weave in and out around chair legs. I hide toys and have her search for them. We try to do a lot of fun things. We have a record snow on the ground now thatís up to her neck. I use a 60í and 100í leash and let her run in the field. I do recalls and let her plow through the snow. 15-20 minutes of this is very tiring and has a side benefit of cleaning her coat.
CometDog likes this.

Tron GSD SCH III, AD, TD. Never to be forgotten buddy
SCH III Club

Samantha, Australian Shepherd, rescued , loves everyone
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 08:14 AM
Master Member

That's interesting. I do the same, letting my dog pull when on a walk like the German show dogs are trained, but he just does it naturally and that way, he get the exercise of pulling and doesn't get confused when we train the focused heel. He pulls just hard enough to get some resistance, but not so much it becomes a pain. My plan is to wait until he's 18 months and the weather is cool to start with the bike. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page