Beautiful Working Line Female lacking drive - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Beautiful Working Line Female lacking drive

Hi to all, I have a 10 month old working line female. She is lovely and sweet but lacks drive for bite work. Great food drive. I have tried all kinds of motivational things, but even pre-teething, she wasn't too interested to bite the rags etc. Is it possible for that to kick in, or is it too late?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 11:38 PM
Crowned Member

hopefully you are working with a good helper/club that can tap into her drive. She has higher threshold or is she soft? Some dogs just don't have 'it'....others can be maneuvered as they mature, but it takes a good helper that knows how to do it correctly.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 12:17 AM
Crowned Member

depends on the line , depends on the helper work .
might need maturing .

in the meantime concentrate on other things . Use that food and do motivational tracking .

Carmen

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 02:47 AM
Elite Member

If the dog has no prey drive then you will have to bring her out in defense if she has the nerve for it. A good helper can lay in some good foundation without giving her any actual bites right now. If she is lacking nerve dont bother.

This type of dog will not be very competitive in sport.

Bastian the Beast

post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 06:34 AM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

You will need a helper that knows how to read dogs and is able to bring out the fight or correctly channel defense (I never cared for the latter. Far too much stress on the dog if they actually have NO or next to no prey drive). Too many only know how to work dogs with very high prey drive. She may need to mature. She may just not want to play rag games with you. She may not have it.

Are you working with a club and helper? I have had dogs that were later in showing their drive for protection work and one would never know that they took longer to come into their drives if they saw them as adults.

Lisa Clark

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Thanks to all for your replies. My problem is that she may tug with me nicely at times. But when we get to training with the club, she's not interested(probably distacted). Her play/tug drives are not strong enough to override the distractions of the other dogs, etc..

If I cannot teach bite work in prey, I will not do bite work at all. Too risky to use defense.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg1 View Post
If the dog has no prey drive then you will have to bring her out in defense if she has the nerve for it. A good helper can lay in some good foundation without giving her any actual bites right now. If she is lacking nerve dont bother.

This type of dog will not be very competitive in sport.
I agree. At the moment, that's what it looks like to me. "Not competitive in the sport."

A lovely pet with nice OB and perhaps tracking. Looking at just trying for her BH. Yes she does have great "nerves" excellent temperament and outgoing personality. Very trustworthy around kids, people and with other compatible dogs.

Last edited by gsdluvr; 07-16-2015 at 02:28 PM. Reason: addition
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 05:50 PM
Crowned Member

then let the dog mature .
agree totally with Lisa .
everyone seems to want to rush their dogs into and through a programme without any regard or seeing it from the dog's perspective.

you say the dog is open and clear and has good nerves --
what you have said about your dog is lacking in some high competition dogs.

bond with your dog . go train. lay a good foundation . that way the dog will remain clear

don't give the dog the tug -- frustrate the dog , deny the dog getting the tug , then put the dog away with pent up frustration . don't make it so easy . get the dog barking for it , let her show you that it wants the tug , or the ball . use the booty drive to ignite aggression .

sorry no capitals -- injured pinky finger which is sore .

Carmen

post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Thanks. I will keep teasing and trying. Why not? She is mine for keeps no matter what..and I only want to do stuff that is fun for both of us. There really isn't a time schedule is there? Sometimes club members can be a little anxious.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 10:42 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdluvr View Post
Thanks. I will keep teasing and trying. Why not? She is mine for keeps no matter what..and I only want to do stuff that is fun for both of us. There really isn't a time schedule is there? Sometimes club members can be a little anxious.
exactly, and don't compare.
My pup in training, right now is high threshold, isn't a barking monster when it comes to bitework, unless we frustrate the crap out of him(which isn't the reason I want him to bark) I'll wait him out and work on other stuff.
Karlo was the opposite, a barking biting fighter from the get-go. He didn't need prey drive to engage him, he was all about the fight and still is, even though he is also very high in threshold. I knew I wouldn't get so lucky the next time around.....but know that the pup I'm working now needs a different route for success.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page