Is it worth it?? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Is it worth it??

I know that people train their dogs in this type of sport for fun, competition, or just to have protection. This is something I would want to do with Troy down the road.
My question is, has there ever been a time where you or someone you know had to tell their dog to attack/protect them in a harmful situation?
I'd very curious to learn how many people this has happened to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 04:49 PM
Master Member

I am curious as well
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 05:19 PM
Knighted Member

Is it worth what? The work?

Whether your dog will protect you is a case of genetics. SchH training is about obedience mostly but was, and in some cases still is, a way to test not only if your dog has a protective instinct but more importantly, if he has the rest of what a GSD should possess...meaning nerves, courage, willingness etc.
My first SchH 3 dog did protect me on two occasions. One was an attempted car jacking and the other was a case of a man lurking in a place that made both my dog and I suspicious of his intentions. My dog held him in a hold and bark while I made my way to my car and then called my dog to me. Some of that was the training but the ability that dog had, to read the situation and respond with an appropriate level of aggression, was genetic.
I would say learning about your dog by participating in IPO is "worth it". Depends who you train with I suppose. Everyone does things a little differently and you would need to find where you and your dog fit in.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Anne

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Yes if the work you put into all of the training worth it.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 05:58 PM
Crowned Member

And besides being worth it, most dogs love it as a sport.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 06:34 PM

Bella67, I have a mixed dog that was never trained in protection, only obedience. He protected me from a guy swinging a golf club at me. He lunged at the guy (on leash), snatched the club and the guy ran off! This completely shocked me, I had no idea my gentle boy had it in him! The sounds he was making and the snapping! Whew! I'd never heard or seen that behavior! Of course he was happy with his prize (the club).

I think you have a dog who will most likely, by instinct, protect you. Training in protection will refine that instinct and offer your pup an intense and fun challenge Training of any kind will also reinforce the bond your pup has with you. I think you should go for it!

Mom to Remi
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 06:37 PM
Crowned Member

not all dogs are able to do IPO...they either have it or they don't and the ones that don't and are still brought to the field for protection aren't enjoying it. I have seen my share of dogs that don't want to be there, the helper works them in prey, and hopes to engage them. If that is accomplished, once they get the reward they practically drag the handler off the field to end it, instead of pushing it back into the helper for more.
Good helperwork can do wonders, but many dogs just don't want to do the protection phase.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 06:55 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
I would say learning about your dog by participating in IPO is "worth it".
This right here!

Schutzhund is something you have to be self motivated about, because a lot of the training is off the field and by yourself. It also becomes a life style!

A lot of blood, sweat and tears!

Leesa~

Chaos v. Wildhaus, SchH2, OB3 (HOT) Forever in my heart ~ Bismark v. Wildhaus, SchH1 (HOT) ~ Kougar v. Wolfstraum, IPO 1, CGC (HOT)... Oberon v. Wildhaus, BH (HOT)
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-21-2015, 03:07 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Jarkko
Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
not all dogs are able to do IPO...they either have it or they don't and the ones that don't and are still brought to the field for protection aren't enjoying it. I have seen my share of dogs that don't want to be there, the helper works them in prey, and hopes to engage them. If that is accomplished, once they get the reward they practically drag the handler off the field to end it, instead of pushing it back into the helper for more.
Good helperwork can do wonders, but many dogs just don't want to do the protection phase.
This is interesting topic. I guess the question is: why would any dog want to do the protection phase? The answer is: they get something from it, they get rewarded. I guess no dog enjoys real fight from birth, they need to be taught to enjoy it (fight "drive"). But many dogs enjoy prey games. If a dog doesn't enjoy prey games, but is more defense driven, what might happen if that dog is still being trained (rewarded) with prey? First they are pushed to defense with postures etc. then a sleeve is tossed in their mouth, like "now dog, ENJOY!". What should be done instead is to really show some clear submission to this kind of dog, that's the only way to get him engaged for real. Of course, if the dog doesn't have even defense drive, then it's kinda hopeless situation and that dog shouldn't be trained.

I've seen some dogs that do everything okay on the field. They engage, they bite hard, they channel between prey/defense, but they don't enjoy, like you said. Maybe it's because they are old school defense driven dogs that should not be trained like a malinois. They should be shown some respect and submission. Prey monsters like malinois do not care, they just want to bite bite bite... Of course this is just a rough and maybe naive simplification, but just a thought on the subject.

Another thought: maybe the handlers don't enjoy themselves? Some dogs are very sensitive to pick up handler moods...
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-21-2015, 09:51 AM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Jarrko, there are dogs that enjoy the fight almost from birth and are not into play/prey games yet do not look at the helper as a threat (defense). These are the dogs that actually have "fight drive". They want to dominate, control and defeat their opponent. Yes, they have prey and defense, but the "fight drive" is the over riding reason why they do bite/protection work.

The sort of dogs Jane is talking about DON'T want to be on the field. They are there because their owner is dragging them out there. They lack any desire to do protection work because they lack the drives to do it AND the nerve to do it. A good helper can baby them along, but the real dog will eventually show up when put under any type of pressure (like a trial). These dogs should not be worked, but many are. The owners don't want to admit their dog is not suitable and not happy and the helpers enjoy the money they get for working the dogs.

Lisa Clark

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page