drive and bite problems - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

drive and bite problems

I have a dog that is a lower drive dog. He is still young at 1.5 years old. He usually bites full and when the pillow or tug is released to him after a good bite he will run around with it a bit and mouth it and drop it.

I am trying to increase his possession by trying to pull the tug out of his mouth which makes him bite down harder, but he then releases it soon after.

1) what can I do to increase his drive in general? I frustrate him by making him miss bites on tugs and balls but it is as if his drive will only stay at a certain level even when i try using my "happy voice" to encourage him.

2) how can I make him keep the tug or pillow after a bite (i run with him but he still drops it). (*we havent moved on to the sleeve yet)

thx!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 01:53 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Are you working with a helper?

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 02:08 PM
Crowned Member

Yeah this is a thing you go to an expert training helper to deal with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

There are helpers at my club but I am open to everyone s opinions and past experiences. I figured it could not hurt to see if someone on this board had these specific issues.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 05:02 PM
Crowned Member

best to work with experienced helpers who can read the dog instead of trying to glean advice from people who aren't able to view what is going on.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 09:03 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

It is hard to make recommendations without seeing the dog and the work. It could be the dog is not being brought up to its optimum level of drive. It could be the dog is not being worked in the right drive. It could be the dog doesn't have what is needed for the sport.

Not all dogs carry well. I have a female that doesn't always carry well especially if the helper doesn't have her in the right mind set when he slips. It is who she is.

I would not allow your dog to mouth the pillow. Minute he isn't holding well he is told to out. You may also be asking him to carry for too long so he is dropping too far in drive.

Lisa Clark

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 09:12 PM
Crowned Member

I'm with the others. Work with an experienced helper/decoy. Can't give accurate advise without seeing the dog.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 10:06 PM
Banned

Let me explain you something what you must probably have supposed yourself. That what you can see on the sports ground (a fight) is not what is in reality for your dog and definitely not what is in his head.
During the fight there is a competition between a decoy and the dog. The prey is not a sleeve, but the decoy himself. The decoy represents a buffalo, and the sleeve represents a piece of meat with fur ripped off him. You are - a member of the pack, wolves hunt in packs, when one bites - the other one distracts the victim and gives certain signals to his companion. That is the formula. When you send your dog onto decoy - he will hold as long as "the piece of meat" is not going, but ready to release. But if you start walking towards the decoy - your dog would squeeze his jaws harder, because your close proximity would indicate that you are going to join him in biting, so you would rip "the buffalo" apart together. Everything dog does - is an instinct, everything dog learns - is unnatural for him, he learns to fight together with another animal, that is human, that is you. Your task is to teach him fighting your way. But for the reason it could be helpful for you to watch videos with wolves hunting, try to understand their cooperative movements.
When you play with your dog you just help him to strengthen his jaw muscles. Thus young cubs pull a deer leg out of each other's mouth when prey was brought back to the den, thus two puppies play with a stick or some toy, they want to have it each for himself only. If your dog drops this "piece of meat" - he does it for you, say, he sacrifices precious object for the stronger, because he minds you stronger than him and because he loves you. In such plays a dog who minds himself equal with his master would hold for longer, play more vigorously. And, the dog who minds himself stronger than his master - would never give up before he grabs the object all just for himself. It doesn't mean that the dog will behave in the same manner with a decoy.
Please, don't worry. You simply need to work with professionals. It is time to join the club.

Last edited by David Taggart; 04-06-2015 at 10:10 PM.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 10:14 PM
Crowned Member

Wait...What?

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 11:15 PM Thread Starter

Thx for the reply David

So you believe that because I am the alpha he is in conflict and wants to leave the sleeve to me?

Not sure I follow because every handler should be the alpha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page