Attrition rate in Schutzhund? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

Attrition rate in Schutzhund?

I was just curious how many times(%) you see someone come to your club and is all in for a year +/-, gets a puppy, buys all the supplies and then disappears. I know Schutzhund is a lot of work and a lot of people think they are up for it but either lose interest or canít spend the time.

Iíve always had an interest in training but my Lenny wasnít cut out for it.(not sure I am either) I just got her as a pet and later became interested in the sport. Now that she has past Iím considering it again. Iím thinking of just attending for several months with no dog and see how it goes. Itís hard to tell if you really like something and want to do it long term until you do it. However, I donít want to buy a working dog and then find out itís not for me. Not fair to the dog (or my wife). I donít need a high energy working dog to play fetch and hike. Anyway, just thinking out loud. Any input/experience?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 11:40 AM
Crowned Member

what about maybe working a retired IPO dog for a bit while you learn...sometimes people want their retirees to still stay active, but are now working a youngster. Club members may have a dog that you can work with and not have that commitment level of owning. Though you'd have to establish a relationship before all that would happen of course.

I think at the pay to trains there are more coming and going(quitting) than the core group type club.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 12:40 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

In my experience, it isn't that people lose interest, it is that they either start out with a dog that isn't suited for it, so they focus on other activities, or they do get that working line dog to do Schutzhund (with not prior SchH experience) because they are 200% SURE that Schutzhund is what they want to do, but then can't handle a high-energy, high-drive dog, and end up rehoming the dog (usually to another experienced SchH or working-line home), and dropping out.

That said, it has to do more with the people than the dogs. All of the current members in my club started out with dogs of different backgrounds, limited in how much they could accomplish in Schutzhund - did as much with them as possible, even if it was only a BH, or an attempted (but failed BH - but they tried! Have to give them credit for that), then went on to get a suitable dog and continue with training.

I think the best way to know if you want to stick with it, is to stick with it with the dog that one has.

Lucia

2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 03:34 PM
Crowned Member

IMO both these ladies are dead on. Going to a club and seeing if someone has a dog you can work and get some experience with is a great idea. I know at a couple places I train, a lot of people have dogs that can be worked. I borrowed a friends dog for a few months while I was waiting on a puppy, just so that I could still trial and have fun. I bought my wife an older dog (well actually I bought her for me but...), to get started with and that was great. The Dog new enough to let my wife figure how to handle and communicate without trying to teach the dog and handler how to communicate.

I see people come and go all the time. I'm not always sure what the reasons are, but it seems out of every ten or so people maybe one or two actually stick around. I think time and finaices are a big part of it, but I think people, drama and politics are the majority. It seems to me, that clubs don't stay together that long. Five to eight years, then they dissolve or split into different groups.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 04:06 PM
Crowned Member

Oh and one more thing. I like the balanced mid/high drive dogs. I don't care for the over the top dogs. My current working female is perfect for me. She could easily go to an active pet home and be fine. I take her everywhere I go. Running errands around town town, she's with me. A lot of days at work, she's with me. Hiking, camping, running, hanging out and so on. That's what I love the most about her. The fact that we can truly live life together as a team. When we step out on a trial field, we always do well. National or world level well? No, but that's probably more to my short comings and lack of desire to be there than the dogs. We have trialed twice. We have a first place and a second place in the classes we've attempted. This Sunday we are going after a title that only two other dogs have ever achieved. I think we will knock it out of the park. Not because she's the driviest most flashy dog out there. Or because I'm the best handler in the world. But because, we established a clear line of communication early on and just work well together as a team. She's been an extremely easy dog to work with. IMO, that's the way they should be.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 04:17 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycobraracr View Post
I think people, drama and politics are the majority. It seems to me, that clubs don't stay together that long. Five to eight years, then they dissolve or split into different groups.
Lol, I've noticed the drama, seen people being asked to leave groups etc. The people from the schutzhund club I'm getting to know are cautious, they ask for references and check them thoroughly, it helps weed out the trouble makers.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

mycobraracr, That's would be the exact dog I would be looking for. A dog to go hiking with, hang with me in the garage, go to the store and then train at a relatively high level. Did you get her as a puppy?
Thanks everyone.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 05:56 PM
Crowned Member

I also have a great dog that is a companion first and we also train in sport...he is a thinking dog, not a super high drive type.
My new pup seems to be about the same so far, very easy to live with.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 06:06 PM
Crowned Member

I got my female with the intention of doing sport with her. However, health issues and a lack of training options put those goals on the back burner for a while. I was careful in choosing a dog who not only had excellent drive for work but an excellent off switch for home. She is an active family pet first, and now we're getting back into the swing of things with schutzhund. Having a dog that is easy to live with and having a dog who excels in sport are not mutually exclusive
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 08:34 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny View Post
mycobraracr, That's would be the exact dog I would be looking for. A dog to go hiking with, hang with me in the garage, go to the store and then train at a relatively high level. Did you get her as a puppy?
Thanks everyone.

Yes I got her as a puppy. I know her breeder well and had the privilege of spending a couple days a week with the litter since about two weeks of age. Oddly enough, she was the one in the litter I didn't want haha. But the breeder said she was the one for me, so here we are. She's a great dog.

There are many good breeders out there to help you find the right dog for you. Just remember, that the breeder is just a part if it. Set yourself up for success and learn all you can before you get your puppy. I truly believe that there is an art to raising puppies correctly. The more you learn now, the easier time you will have and the better your end product will be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page