Need help Finding a Trainer - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-06-2015, 04:38 AM Thread Starter

Question Need help Finding a Trainer

Hi! My puppy is 13 weeks and I want to know if she is suitable for protective training because my family really needs it. She loves playing fetch and will pull on her rope forever. But she gets scared of strangers and runs behind me ( she is getting a little better). I socialize her with people and other dogs as well. I live in Sacramento California. How much would it be to get her into some training and what should I do to prepare or get her started? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-06-2015, 10:24 AM
Crowned Member

Weston and his wife Elise would be a good choice for you. They're in Loomis.

http://caninepurpose.com/about-us/

Doc

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-06-2015, 10:25 AM

The best thing that you can do to "prepare" her is to socialize her with people as much as possible. Dogs are not really that important, especially given the issue that you describe. The dog needs to be confident and outgoing. Confident dogs that are not afraid of people make the best dogs for your "protective" needs. Insecure, shy and cautious dogs will look to you for protection not the other way around. Unless, the dog becomes "sharp / shy" where it goes forward with aggression because it is insecure. Take her a lot of places to meet friendly people. Do not let anyone dominate her, correct her or even tell her no. That comes from you. Make sure you are clear with the rules when you meet new people, they can pet, praise and play with your dog, but the dog wins all tug of war of war games, especially with strangers.

If I can be honest, with out being too blunt, she may not be the best choice for a PP dog, IMHO. She is your dog and the first thing you need to do with her is get her confident around people and new environments. A 13 week old puppy should not be running behind you when she meets new people.

Be very careful to not "unintentionally" encourage this behavior. Never tell her it is OK, if she is nervous or try to reassure her. This tells the dog that that there is a reason to be nervous around strangers. I hope that makes sense. Telling a dog, "it's ok, don't be scared" actually enforces in the dog's mind that it is correct to be fearful. You are actually praising the dog for being in that state of mind.

Your dog is a baby, it is 13 weeks old. She needs to mature and gain confidence before you do anything else. I'd spend it's first year doing that before I sought out a personal protection trainer. You can not teach a 3 year old child to defend itself or you in fight, your dog is a baby.

Finding a trainer that will help you develop her confidence would be a great idea.

“Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance”. George Bernard Shaw

Jim

Last edited by Slamdunc; 03-06-2015 at 10:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-06-2015, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamdunc View Post
The best thing that you can do to "prepare" her is to socialize her with people as much as possible. Dogs are not really that important, especially given the issue that you describe. The dog needs to be confident and outgoing. Confident dogs that are not afraid of people make the best dogs for your "protective" needs. Insecure, shy and cautious dogs will look to you for protection not the other way around. Unless, the dog becomes "sharp / shy" where it goes forward with aggression because it is insecure. Take her a lot of places to meet friendly people. Do not let anyone dominate her, correct her or even tell her no. That comes from you. Make sure you are clear with the rules when you meet new people, they can pet, praise and play with your dog, but the dog wins all tug of war of war games, especially with strangers.

If I can be honest, with out being too blunt, she may not be the best choice for a PP dog, IMHO. She is your dog and the first thing you need to do with her is get her confident around people and new environments. A 13 week old puppy should not be running behind you when she meets new people.

Be very careful to not "unintentionally" encourage this behavior. Never tell her it is OK, if she is nervous or try to reassure her. This tells the dog that that there is a reason to be nervous around strangers. I hope that makes sense. Telling a dog, "it's ok, don't be scared" actually enforces in the dog's mind that it is correct to be fearful. You are actually praising the dog for being in that state of mind.

Your dog is a baby, it is 13 weeks old. She needs to mature and gain confidence before you do anything else. I'd spend it's first year doing that before I sought out a personal protection trainer. You can not teach a 3 year old child to defend itself or you in fight, your dog is a baby.

Finding a trainer that will help you develop her confidence would be a great idea.
Thanks for your response! I took her around new people today and noticed she isn't scared to go to them and sniff them, but she does not like being touched that much. She runs around after sudden movement D:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page