Schutzhund is it expensive ? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-01-2015, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Schutzhund is it expensive ?

hey guys pls share with me . im planning to get my 2nd GSD this summer/fall and gonna do IPO/Schutzhund with him. Im not sure if i have the budget. How much does it normally cost to start and how much do you guys spend monthly ?? if you feel uncomfortable to put down the number here please private message me. Also for a beginner does it matter if i get a showline instead of a working line ? Cause i have seen very solid showline doing IPO if bred for it.

Ace Von Backyard 3/12/2014
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-01-2015, 10:04 PM
Crowned Member

yes it's expensive. About 250 in training fees per month. Plus gas to drive 2.5 hours one way to the trainer.

Yes, it matters if you get a show or working. You have a much better chance of success with a working line.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-01-2015, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
yes it's expensive. About 250 in training fees per month. Plus gas to drive 2.5 hours one way to the trainer.

Yes, it matters if you get a show or working. You have a much better chance of success with a working line.
hm... sounds like its gonna cost as much as a car payment hehe and i alrdy have 1...

Ace Von Backyard 3/12/2014
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-01-2015, 10:14 PM
Crowned Member

Alot will depend on your location and if you have a good club close to you.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-01-2015, 10:16 PM
Crowned Member

Depends on where and how much you train. Fuel cost me more than actual training and I pay to train with one club I go to. I am a member of another club too, and travel 2 hours there. We pay quarterly and annual dues there. It is fairly reasonable, but the cost of insurance has gone up, so I'm expecting a jump in the annual.
If you have a good group fairly local, then it may not be much more than paying for an obedience type class schedule. Some helpers don't charge to work dogs, though that seems to be NOT the norm anymore...
I'm in the midwest, have paid to train at a few places(and know the fees at a few others) and the average is $30-35 per session, obedience and protection, doesn't usually include tracking. Each session is about 10 to 20 minutes of field time. Most handlers provide all their own equipment, including their dumbbells, bite sleeve and lines/harnesses/collars.
Some people don't want their dogs biting sleeves other dogs have had mouth on at the busy pay to trains. I don't own my own sleeve, lol, my poor dog, he usually breaks in the new covers though.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-01-2015, 11:12 PM
Elite Member

At our place, we pay 10 dollars a dog.

Emily
Skadi, AKA Lady Wolfington, GSD 4.6.12
Grim, AKA Bones , GSD 7.7.13
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 08:31 AM

I don't know about GA but here in MD it runs from a yearly dues that are reasonable to You-have-got-to-be-kidding-me ridiculous. I am doing IPO with a WGS male. It seems that the working line pups do put more effort into what they are doing. But we are in it for the fun, not to get a champion to the Nationals.

We haven't had to pay for IPO gear outside of refitting the back seat of our car which is too small for a crate. Oh and a few different lengths of leashes.... and the agitation harness. and tugs and balls which we would have gotten anyhow....and the treat bag and treats. And time! Training once or twice a week with the club. And training on our own. Finding places to do tracking, too.

Has it been worth it? So far, Oh YES.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-04-2015, 08:29 AM

Like others have said, just depends on the clubs accessible to you. Most clubs in my area (Indiana) average around 500/year. The fuel costs can be quite big also. It can also depend on your dedication. If they have a cost per session, you can keep your amount of sessions down and try to do a lot of the work at home by yourself or learning online.

As for working line or show line. There are for sure dogs in both lines that will do the work, but you stand a MUCH better chance with a working line if Schutzhund is something that you really want to do.

Good luck.

Check out my website dedicated to IPO/Schutzhund:
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-04-2015, 09:04 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmanusf View Post
Like others have said, just depends on the clubs accessible to you. Most clubs in my area (Indiana) average around 500/year. The fuel costs can be quite big also. It can also depend on your dedication. If they have a cost per session, you can keep your amount of sessions down and try to do a lot of the work at home by yourself or learning online.

As for working line or show line. There are for sure dogs in both lines that will do the work, but you stand a MUCH better chance with a working line if Schutzhund is something that you really want to do.

Good luck.
Totally agree. I train at a place with many SL's and they are good dogs, and most are from two breeders that are focused on IPO in their breeding programs. Not all SL breeders do so.

And....the foundation the helper is putting on these pups is helping them progress because he knows how to work them. Not all helpers are able to get as much out of them.

One of the breeders recently moved back to the area from down south and a couple dogs she was working needed some reconditioning due to the way they were previously worked.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18

Last edited by onyx'girl; 01-04-2015 at 09:07 AM.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-04-2015, 09:34 AM
Crowned Member

depends on the club and the experience. Make sure that you get a club that has experience with all breeds and puppies to high level dogs. That shows hands on experience and the dog/handler will progress at a steady pace, because the trainers/helpers know what to do.

It is a LOT of time. Not just the club, but training during the week. It is a 3 phase sport.

A great and experienced club in the ATL area is Atlanta Working Dog club.

https://www.facebook.com/AtlantaWorkingDogClub

That would the club to train with in the ATL area.

$250 in monthly training fees? Our club is not even close to that..... Even had a club in the area mimic how we do fees.... :-)

Last edited by Smithie86; 01-04-2015 at 09:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page