Is this dog worth the evaluation? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-27-2014, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

Is this dog worth the evaluation?

I understand this is probably a puppy post, but I feel like I can get specific answers here as well. I have a 13 wk old pup who isn't from working lines, but both her parents are titled working dogs. She had gone to puppy protection classes(mostly just flirt pole and rag work) from 8-12 wks and did very well alone, but when brought to work around the other puppys would just freeze up out of fear. She has high drive and is highly intelligent and extremely willing to work. She just has an extreme fears other dogs. I try to socialize her around other dogs and puppys, but it seems to be making things worse. It started with around other dogs she would just freeze up and run away or run between my legs. Now she will spot the dog in the distance and immediately become aggressive. All her hair on her back and neck goes up and barks and then when they get closer she will aggressively lunge at the dog and then when they get closer, she will then just cower between my legs. I have no idea what I am suppose to do. So again my question for here is, should I even spend the time and money to have this pup evaluated for schutzhund? She is perfect around strangers and strange situations, it is only other dogs, but I still fear her nerve and temperament is where it should be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-27-2014, 02:43 PM
Crowned Member

puppy protection class? If she is fearful of other dogs, then IMO her temperament may not be stable enough for the sport. On the other hand, good handling can teach her to ignore other dogs. Find a good club, let them do the evaluation and go from there.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-27-2014, 02:45 PM
Master Member

Are you thinking IPO for fun, or hope to compete seriously with her one day?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-27-2014, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
puppy protection class? If she is fearful of other dogs, then IMO her temperament may not be stable enough for the sport. On the other hand, good handling can teach her to ignore other dogs. Find a good club, let them do the evaluation and go from there.
it was an open protection class where they had a segment for puppys to socialize while working the rags and such.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-27-2014, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by N Smith View Post
Are you thinking IPO for fun, or hope to compete seriously with her one day?
Just for fun, as this is my first time. I wish to take it more seriously in several years when I have more experience and can put a lot more time and money into it.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-27-2014, 03:09 PM
Master Member

Your puppy sounds like my dog. My dog is genetically weak nerved in that regard and has been professionally evaluated by several trainers (including the local IPO director) that she's not a candidate for IPO. Looking back, I now realized I should not have further stressed her by trying so hard in getting her used to being around dogs but should have just focused on her trusting me and building bond.

Not saying your dog is the same way but your description sounds exactly like my dog. If your dog is anything like mine, forcing her to socialize with other dogs will only encourage her to develop fear aggression that feeds itself.

It costed me nothing to have my dog evaluated for IPO. Maybe you can just visit your local club and have a casual meet up like me. I told the IPO director my observations of my dog, then the IPO director saw the dog, saw how she reacted to the environment and told me right away why she is not a good candidate.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-27-2014, 03:14 PM
Elite Member

not all GSDs are cut out for protection training. my dog is a timid dud when it comes to that. our trainer is honest and won't charge us for doing training she would suck at. instead we do rally and agility. there's a lot of different things to get into and not all dogs are cut out for all of them.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-27-2014, 04:52 PM
Elite Member

I saw that my boy was dog reactive at an early age--11 weeks. Fantastic dog with all kinds of people, noises, equipment, etc. On this forum I learned about doing exercises from Control Unleashed and worked on a lot of engagement. I walked early morning and just before sundown on 35 ft. lunge line and harness. One park is better in the morning for avoiding dogs and a different one in the pm. I avoided other dogs on purpose so as not to make the situation worse.

When I went places where there were dogs, like the feed store, I corrected him with a prong collar which suppressed the barking and lunging.

I waited until I had lots of engagement behind us and signed up for a basic obedience class at 8.5 months with other dogs. He is reactive, but settles quickly because of the exercise (games) I did in Control Unleashed. I am also going to take a Reactive Rover class in January to counter condition. I slept in late today and went to the park later than usual. He knows that if he sees another dog in the distance to come back to me and I will give him lots of treats.

If a dog is too close, he's an embarrassing maniac. That's why we are taking classes specifically for dog reactivity.

I want to do off-leash sports with my dog, so I need to do more than suppress the behavior. I am not using a prong collar now. I use a gentle leader which has been effective on a 6 ft. leash.

Moriah

Last edited by Moriah; 11-27-2014 at 04:55 PM.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-27-2014, 05:39 PM
Crowned Member

I think you are expecting WAYYYY to much from a 13 wk old puppy.

And if this
Quote:
Now she will spot the dog in the distance and immediately become aggressive. All her hair on her back and neck goes up and barks and then when they get closer she will aggressively lunge at the dog and then when they get closer, she will then just cower between my legs.
is going on with a dog that young, get a very good trainer ASAP to help you socialize that pup.

Where did you get her at?

post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-27-2014, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
Where did you get her at?
I got her from a buddy of mine. It was an accidental litter, not planned. Also any recommended trainers in Sacramento/NorCal area?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page