Did you ever use Electric Collars ? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Did you ever use Electric Collars ?

Did anyone use electric collars on their GSDs while training for Schutzhund ? We train Enzo on prong collar but have never used the electric ones before.
Any thoughts ?

"We were looking for a 'good shepherd', and instead we got a German Shepherd."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MimiG, Mom to Enzo & Olyver

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 02:24 PM
Elite Member

we don't do schutzhund other than the rally stuff. and yes we use one. but it's not for training. it's for correcting if the dog has a brain fart, loses focus, or flat out disobeys a command they are already trained to do while off leash.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 02:42 PM
Crowned Member

Yes. I do. I have a Tritonics.

And scarfish - you absolutely can "train" with it. It's all in how you use it. The stim can be a command just as a correction.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 02:51 PM
Knighted Member

I have used e-collars on both of my pups. Smokey is a husky and does well with an e-collar off leash. If you know something about huskies, they've a tendency to RUN like mad. The e-collar gives him a lot of freedom. C:
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 03:07 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
Yes. I do. I have a Tritonics.

And scarfish - you absolutely can "train" with it. It's all in how you use it. The stim can be a command just as a correction.
interesting. we don't really use it that way. to be honest i only nicked julie like 3 times ever. she does well with voice commands/corrections.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 03:38 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarfish View Post
interesting. we don't really use it that way. to be honest i only nicked julie like 3 times ever. she does well with voice commands/corrections.
It is. I really like the way I"m being taught to use it. It's used more as a stimulator than as a correction. More GO GO GO not NO NO NO.

So I guess, in the end, it is a correction because it's putting them back on track but done in a different way. Does that make sense?

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 04:44 PM
Lin
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to Lin Send a message via Yahoo to Lin
Ditto, the collars are really meant to be used in training. I'm a bit confused that you DONT use it in training, yet expect the dog to understand what it means when you use it as a correction. Used properly you train something and use the collar as another training tool, such as replacing the leash to do off lead work and still be able to give your dog information while hands off. When properly introduced and trained this way, then yes you can do things such as stim for correction or "dial up" in an emergency, but I don't understand how the dog would understand what it meant if the training wasn't done first.

member in education and Service Dog Handler.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 07:20 PM

I use e-collars. With proper usage, they are one of, if not the most, effective training devices around. I have heard, and like, the following comparison:

Using the e-collar is like using a pneumatic nailer to build a house versus using hammer and nail. It can be done both ways but the more efficiently with the pneumatic nailer.

One should consult a proper trainer to learn how to use the collar. Like other correction devices, it can be used to kill drive and extinguish behavior or used as a motivator to make behaviors quicker. It is a very nuanced tool that should not be taken lightly.

Check out my website dedicated to IPO/Schutzhund:
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 09:54 PM
Crowned Member

Yes, mine are Dogtra.

It's a 'tool,' bun one you need to learn how to use properly.

Please take the time to learn the proper way to implement this tool.

Anne

Nothing is as simple as it seems or as complicated as we make it~

Attitude is everything -- Pick a good one!
Sofie AKA Ussina vom Haus Brezel
Jack von Jagenstadt
Tatty - Burmese bad cat

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 10:13 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Yes. I have a tritronics pro 500, Dogtra 1200 NC (old collar) and a Dogtra 2300 NCP.

Lisa Clark

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page