Prey Drive Building Help - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

Prey Drive Building Help

Hello all! I have a 4 month old GSD and im currently building his drives. He loves the flirt pole and chases it all around and goes crazy for that and is tugs. My question is when I put him on his leash and tie it to something and start to tease and play with him with the flirt pole, he runs after it and goes crazy but as soon as he feels the tension on the leash it stops him he turns around and looks at the leash like what the heck and stops engaging in his toy. How can I over come this to where he will come to the endof his leash and just bark and lunge without worrying about the leash? Off leash he goes nuts but when that least stops him and jerks him hard he immediately stops and starts trying to get off the leash etc. Any suggestions would be great..thank you all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 10:49 PM
Master Member

I would try him with a harness. In his mind, when he's on the leash and reaches the end of it, he feels pressure on his air. It's causing him to correct himself. So to stop the correction he stops pulling. If you use a harness, it doesn't put pressure on his throat and he'll stay in drive. Hope this helps!

Deanna

SG Isen Vom Kavallerie IPO2 AD BH CGCA CGCU TC (GSD)
Devka von der Felsenstadt (GSD)
Red CGC (GSD)
Gypsy BH CGCA (lab)

At the Bridge....Charlie and Shiloh
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 10:58 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4lilbitz View Post
I would try him with a harness. In his mind, when he's on the leash and reaches the end of it, he feels pressure on his air. It's causing him to correct himself. So to stop the correction he stops pulling. If you use a harness, it doesn't put pressure on his throat and he'll stay in drive. Hope this helps!
^^Yup, this. Mine is the same way. He'll go nuts in his harness, but if I try to do it with just his collar, he will stand back after a couple lunges and just track it because he doesn't want to choke himself out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 11:02 PM

I would try a couple things.

1.) have the leash in your hand and restrain very slightly while whipping around the flirt pole. Slowly increase the tension until you are holding him back with one arm while you tease him with the other.

2.) Tie him out randomly. I do this with my little pups. I will tether them to random pieces of furniture. Let him get used to being tied out. Feed him at the end of the line causing him to pull a little bit to get to the food.

Good luck. Most dogs get over it once they realize there is nothing to worry about.

John

Check out my website dedicated to IPO/Schutzhund:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 11:06 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmanusf View Post
2.) Tie him out randomly. I do this with my little pups. I will tether them to random pieces of furniture. Let him get used to being tied out. Feed him at the end of the line causing him to pull a little bit to get to the food.

I haven't heard this technique before. I like it. I can see this working for a lot of different things.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 01:56 AM Thread Starter

Thank you all for your replies. I will def try all of your suggestions. Your guys are the best
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page