How do your bite sport clubs.... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

How do your bite sport clubs....

How do your clubs determine who can join or not? What are the requirements? Are there contracts? Trial periods? Title expectations and time frames? How do you screen visitors?

Any info is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 10:04 PM
Elite Member

Very simple, show progress towards titling the dog. After titling, handler is invited to join club.

Gnash von den Sportwaffen IPO3x2, AD, HOT
Brimwylf Creasy BH, HOT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packen View Post
Very simple, show progress towards titling the dog. After titling, handler is invited to join club.
That is simple. How do you then deal with a "bad apple"? How do you try and prevent that from happening?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 10:12 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycobraracr View Post
That is simple. How do you then deal with a "bad apple"? How do you try and prevent that from happening?
Define bad apple.

Brimwylf Creasy BH, HOT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 10:19 PM

I've been in a couple of clubs that have ranged from very strict to join and stay a member to allowing anyone to join. Ultimately, I have found that the bad eggs generally filter themselves out. In the strict club, they were just simply asked not to come back (hardly ever came to that because we are brutal with each other in criticisms of dogs, not many people can handle that). In the other club, they were just kind of ignored and socially ostracized from the club because they were recognized to be cancers.

Check out my website dedicated to IPO/Schutzhund:
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Define bad apple.

I will say, someone who is always causing drama/conflict within the club. IME, it's dogs come and go so at the end of the day you're stuck with the people. People can make a training day fun or ruin it for everyone.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I have been a member of a few different types of clubs. One where they are so geared towards trialing and being successful that nothing else mattered. Two where it was all about the people and who cares if the dogs ever title. How do you create one where everyone pushes one another in a positive way to succeed to the best of THEIR and the DOGS ability? With great people who want to achieve their best without the need to put other members down?
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 10:27 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycobraracr View Post
I will say, someone who is always causing drama/conflict within the club. IME, it's dogs come and go so at the end of the day you're stuck with the people. People can make a training day fun or ruin it for everyone.
The title condition reduces the drama crowd by 95%, the cream 5% that meet the condition to be considered for membership are either,

1. Are drama free and willing to learn/help
2. Learm to become drama free or leave

Brimwylf Creasy BH, HOT

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
The title condition reduces the drama crowd by 95%, the cream 5% that meet the condition to be considered for membership are either,

1. Are drama free and willing to learn/help
2. Learm to become drama free or leave
Makes sense. Easier said then done I think. Well, not the leave part. I would just rather avoid that if possible.

Now the question is, do you put a time frame on titling? I.E. You must earn a title within 18 months of training. Puppies excluded.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 10:45 PM
Crowned Member

I'm in a club that lets others join after the team has visited on a regular basis several times and then the members 'vote' on it. Not much as far as drama goes, though life gets in the way and frustrates now and then. The club is mostly word of mouth as far as anyone even knowing we exist...no website, and we aren't affiliated with a larger organization as we have no trial field to host trials.
I'm also with a pay to train group that is super supportive of each other and there really is no drama/ even with so many teams coming and going. This group held a trial this past weekend and it was just amazing how supportive EVERYONE was with each other(and all the ones who aren't part of this group that trialed) That dynamic is set by the helper and his track record, he really has no enemies, tries to do his best by everyone and is in it for the right reasons. The prices are reasonable/worth every penny.

I feel very lucky to be a part of two great groups.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page