Is it worth it, - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2014, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Is it worth it,

I would LOVE to do this sport, i find it amazing, the best part is the OB work i get the most OMG thrills outta watching it. The problem is i just dont have the dog for it. I know i do not have the dog for it because it has been pointed out to me alot. I think i will get Tyson into something like agility he would be very good at that.

But, Andrew keeps telling me that i should just join the club with tyson anyways to learn...and i keep thinking whats is the point of joining with ty to learn because what can i learn with a dog that does not want to do it? I think i would have better luck just joining the club to watch and help out without bringing Tyson, is that a good decision, has anyone heard of anyone joining with no dog to simply learn?

Anyways, some insight would be great
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2014, 10:20 AM
Knighted Member

If you get a thrill from watching and don't mind not participating with your dog, then by all means contact the club and see if you can be a helper or assistant for free. You can learn a lot and then one day when you have a dog that you think would enjoy it then you are a step ahead. Which sport is it by the way?

Teri

Amorette Vom Godinghofer of Summerland (AKA Abby) 5/21/15
Snake Vom Eselspfad RN CGC (AKA Raina) 3/5/08
Pyrate CGC 4/1/03-5/16/12 RIP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Too many to list waiting at the bridge but remembering them all
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2014, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Oh i should ad that Tyson although making huge leaps and bounds, Tyson started growling at jackson again. We have been to trainers and now i am thinking of having jackson feed him and walk him and build a bond with him, its an issue we can work out but i am bringing it up because someone told me that a dog that is still growling at family members is not a dog any good club would want to work in the protection aspect of it. I dont disagree, he is nervous.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2014, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyratemom View Post
If you get a thrill from watching and don't mind not participating with your dog, then by all means contact the club and see if you can be a helper or assistant for free. You can learn a lot and then one day when you have a dog that you think would enjoy it then you are a step ahead. Which sport is it by the way?
Schutzhund
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2014, 10:22 AM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

I think that just about everyone in our club started out with a dog that was just not cut out for it, but we did join, and did train, and did have fun, and did learn, and most of us at least got a BH on our dog. Just getting the BH is a big accomplishment with your first dog.

There isn't just bite-work, there is the obedience and tracking. I agree, even if you don't have the right dog, if your dog will do OB and track, then you can work on that.

It's not always the end-result that is so satisfying, but the journey itself. So you can go ahead and start your journey right now if you want.

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2014, 10:24 AM
Crowned Member

^^^ What Lucia said!

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2014, 10:25 AM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by misslesleedavis1 View Post
Schutzhund
I thought it might be but wasn't sure. I love watching the sport as well and think Raina might have done well at it, but there are no good trainers here for that particular sport without driving almost all the way to the mainland. I do get a thrill out of watching a good run though.

Teri

Amorette Vom Godinghofer of Summerland (AKA Abby) 5/21/15
Snake Vom Eselspfad RN CGC (AKA Raina) 3/5/08
Pyrate CGC 4/1/03-5/16/12 RIP

Too many to list waiting at the bridge but remembering them all
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2014, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Thankyou for the input!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2014, 01:21 PM
Elite Member

Do it!

Emily
Skadi, AKA Lady Wolfington, GSD 4.6.12
Grim, AKA Bones , GSD 7.7.13
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page