Warn/on guard command - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2014, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

Warn/on guard command

Hi, I'm not entirely sure if this is the correct board but im trying to teach my 6 month old the warn/on guard command and she caught on quickly that she needed to bark (I'm starting with essentially teaching speak and After she gets it down I'll start making it be in front of me facing away) but her bark has kind of progressed into this half whine half yelp. What can I do to have her start using her full belly bark again?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2014, 10:21 PM

Location: Clio, California, close to anyway. Live in a remote mountain area.
I take it you are trying for a "watchdog"? You should first talk to trainers who specialize in that area.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2014, 10:26 PM
Crowned Member

Don't reward her on the whining barks.

I threw Seger's ball out in front of him and then held him back to build frustration. When he barked, I let him go forward until he eventually was released to get the ball. Now I can stand there and just hold the ball behind me and give the "alert" command. That exercise will transfer to your protection training at your club.

Did you discuss this with your trainer?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2014, 11:05 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post

I threw Seger's ball out in front of him and then held him back to build frustration. When he barked, I let him go forward until he eventually was released to get the ball. Now I can stand there and just hold the ball behind me and give the "alert" command. That exercise will transfer to your protection training at your club.

^^^This is great. The only problem I've seen with doing it this way is it can lead to a lack of aggression in the bark and hold because it becomes a game with mom/dad. This can lead to more work for the helper to bring it out.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2014, 02:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post

I've tried working with this, but she continues to do this very high pitched bark, and then gets frustrated and starts whining. I don't reward but it kind of ends the fun and she doesn't get the reward. So I give another command so I can reward, but she doesn't get the initial one.

I haven't really been in contact with my trainer because I'm away at college and everything is done just her and I right now.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2014, 10:00 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycobraracr View Post
^^^This is great. The only problem I've seen with doing it this way is it can lead to a lack of aggression in the bark and hold because it becomes a game with mom/dad. This can lead to more work for the helper to bring it out.
He definitely doesn't show the aggression like with the helper because it's me. But I didn't use this to teach the bark and hold. Just the bark and the command. (Gib Laut). I use Revier for the bark and hold.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2014, 10:03 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexxromeo View Post
I've tried working with this, but she continues to do this very high pitched bark, and then gets frustrated and starts whining. I don't reward but it kind of ends the fun and she doesn't get the reward. So I give another command so I can reward, but she doesn't get the initial one.

I haven't really been in contact with my trainer because I'm away at college and everything is done just her and I right now.
You don't reward? You HAVE to let her win. build her up, play keep away and then toss the ball in front of her to build frustration. don't let her get the point that she is whiny. Reward her at the bark even if it is high pitched.

She's just a baby so small steps.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2014, 06:49 PM
Crowned Member

The different pitches in the barking are due to whether the dog is in prey or defensive drive state.
Working the dog in prey will bring out the higher pitch sound.
Good helpers will work the dog to balance the prey and defense(they can hear the dogs barking change as well and know when it transitions).
Not a good idea to work the defensive side just for the reason to bring out the deeper tone.

Some dogs naturally have a higher pitch regardless, genetically. You can't change genetics.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18

Last edited by onyx'girl; 10-11-2014 at 06:52 PM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-12-2014, 02:13 AM Thread Starter

No I do reward, but not when she doesn't get it correct. If she doesn't after awhile I will give an easier command so she can win.

When we play and roughhouse she will use her deep full bark, and she used to do it for the command but now doesn't anymore. So I know she has it but she doesn't use it on command.

I don't know the sound of her prey bark but this doesn't sound like i imagine that would. This is more of a whine, sometimes the bark will even turn into a whine.

I'm going to try to focus her attention on a ball. I've just been using food and treats to reward for this and I seem to have plateaued.

Any other ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page