Pet dogs in Shutzhund/IPO? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-26-2014, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

Pet dogs in Shutzhund/IPO?

I have been researching dog sports to indulge in after my 9 month old GSD earns her CGC. This is my first time having a GSD and taking a dog any further than intermediate obedience for good manners as a pet.

I think Shutzhund/IPO is an amazing sport but I'm hoping for some advice on of it would work for myself and Faun.

I work full-time as a vet tech and often have to stay overtime for emergency cases. Our obedience trainer holds beginning class four days a week. I've not had an issue missing class so far but if I have to, I know I can jump into class on another day.

I understand IPO takes time and dedication, is it feasible to work a flexible training regiment? I have heard puppies are raised a certain way for the sport, is Faun to old to start when she's 12 months?

Is IPO training and club membership usually expensive? What about trials? I paid $150 for beginning obedience and intermediate/advanced are $80. I expect higher cost but can't seem to find a ballpark figure anywhere. I don't want to start and waste anyone's time if continued involvement is not in my budget.

Lastly, Faun is a pet dog. I rescued her from a farm litter. I could tell her parents aren't show lines by their bone structure but I don't have any other information. Is it a good idea to have her temper evaluated before starting in a club? Or is working towards a BH title the same as working towards the proper temperament for IPO? I'm not interested in going into this with any expectation in particular. I would be happy with just getting out with her and teaching her what GSDs were bred to do.

Any suggestions on clubs and training in Northern California would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

♥ Faun GSD 12-22-13
♥ Daisy Rat Terrier/Beagle Mix 3/15/02
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-26-2014, 09:41 AM
Crowned Member

Is Morgan Hill convenient for you petite?
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-26-2014, 10:01 AM
Banned

More than likely, you won't find a very flexible schedule. Most clubs will train on weekends. Saturday or Sunday mornings because that's when the majority of people can come out. If you're lucky, you might be near a club that is flexible and training is available more than just once or possibly twice a week. The only way to know is to contact clubs in your area. There aren't that many (compared to pet obedience places) so you'll basically be limited by whatever they tell you.

Once you find a club. You go with your dog. The younger, the better, as even if the dog isn't perfect, a good trainer/helper can shape the behaviors needed for IPO. You'll also be taught not to squash certain behaviors that might come in useful in the future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-26-2014, 10:10 AM
Master Member

I'm new to IPO too. My IPO dog is also a family pet. He's not treated any differently in the house than my other two. When I first got Isen who is now 7.5 months, my breeder, training director and other experienced people in the sport said to socialize and make sure everything is positive. When playing tug, the puppy ALWAYS wins. Make sure there are no negative experiences with other dogs/people etc. I took Isen to different places using food as a reward. All this also helps to create a bond with your puppy. My goal for Isen and I is to have fun, learn about the sport, and win some titles at the club level. My long term goal is to one day be competitive at a higher level. That comes with experience : )
Club dues vary depending on the club. Some club lease training fields, others like my club own their field. Club dues for my club are $400/yr. You also have dues for DVG which for new member (myself) are $125 the first year. Our club meets twice a week, some club meet more, some less. On days when we do not train, I train at least 3 of those days, most of the time I can get 4. Training sessions on my own consist of Obedience under distraction, tracking and playing...lots of playing. Protection is done only when I'm at the club. When we're at the club we get to demonstrate our progress throughout the week and take note of our "homework".
When I first started, the training director said something that really stuck with me. "We do not make you come, but this is a group sport. You can not train for everything on your own. Whether its walking through a group, another set of eyes to give you pointers/corrections, or help with protection...you need more than one person to really train. People get out of their dogs what they put in." This statement really stuck with me and I do my best to always make it to training.
When new dogs come to the club, our training director evaluates the dog's temperament, prior to the person paying money to join. The BH is a temperament test that tests the dog's temperament to determine if he/she can move towards IPO. Other organizations also train for the BH. One is Search and Rescue dogs. The BH is important because it shows the owner and dog have control and the dog has a solid temperament.
I do not live in California so I can't help with offering a club. The best thing is to look on line for several clubs in your area. Contact them and visit them. Look how the club is ran, how the members interact with each other, talk with them and the training director. Look at how he trains. Do you approve of it? Some clubs use different methods of training. This is important because YOU need to be okay with how they work your dog. Make notes about each, and go with the one that works for you! Don't forget to have fun!

Deanna

SG Isen Vom Kavallerie IPO2 AD BH CGCA CGCU TC (GSD)
Devka von der Felsenstadt (GSD)
Red CGC (GSD)
Gypsy BH CGCA (lab)

At the Bridge....Charlie and Shiloh
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-26-2014, 10:49 AM
Crowned Member

Schedules: The clubs I've been involved with train on a regular schedule but there is no requirement that you make it every week. We've had people that come every other week, people that come every week, people that miss several weeks for other obligations. Often you have access to the field and can train at other times although it can be helpful to have someone else there with you. In Arkansas, Saturdays were training days with some of us meeting on Tuesday evenings for a while and sometimes protection was offered on an evening and following morning. This was easy for me as I was 15 - 20 minutes from the field and we had lights for night work!

Oregon has training Saturdays and Tuesday evenings. I'm 3 hours away and it's absolutely not convenient to go every Saturday or any Tuesday. (Tuesday tends to be obedience only with Saturday being tracking, obedience and often protection).

While the 5 yo was purchased with the idea of schutzhund obedience, she is a house dog and first and foremost a companion animal.

You will want to have someone knowledgable evaluate your dog. A club's training director may be an appropriate person to do this. A club will typically not charge you if you come out a time or two with your dog and s/he is not considered suitable.
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-26-2014, 01:30 PM
Knighted Member

The group I train with is an unsanctioned club that splintered off of our local USCA club. My trainer has his own internet equipment business and one of my training buddies is a preacher. We have regular training times but we also get together and train on random days as well because thier schedules are so flexable. If I am off work one day and there is no scheduled club training that day, we might still get together in the morning and meet at the tracking field or the training field to work our dogs. It has worked great having people to train with and not having to be tied to only training on official club days.

I am gratefull to our local usca club though because that is where I made my connections. Connections really are key though. You have to get our there and meet people. If you have the passion, you will find a way to make it work.
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-26-2014, 01:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
I am gratefull to our local usca club though because that is where I made my connections. Connections really are key though. You have to get our there and meet people. If you have the passion, you will find a way to make it work.
Yup...this and to a certain extent luck. If you join a club an hour away, start going, then realize you live 5 minutes away from your helper. You'll probably be able to sneak in protection sessions during the week. But if you don't have someone like that nearby...you don't really have the opportunity.

Good helpers are rare. There aren't that many people doing this sport...so you have to work with what you have. I'm lucky enough to have a great helper 20 minutes north of me who is willing to meet whenever people are available. Others...have to drive 3 hours.
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for all the advice. I should be thankful there is more than one club within driving distance. I'll need to visit a few to get a good idea of what they are about.

Is there a certain website or Facebook page to find out where trials are taking place in your area? I know the tracking is probably somewhere random but at least to watch the obedience and bite work?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

♥ Faun GSD 12-22-13
♥ Daisy Rat Terrier/Beagle Mix 3/15/02
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 09:24 AM
Knighted Member

http://www.northwesternregion.com

And click on events!

Paisley and TJ
Leyna and Levi, RIP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 09:57 AM
Crowned Member

I'm trying to work on something for you right now. Are you free on Sundays?

DVG is another option.
DVG AMERICA Main Menu
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page