IPO has consumed my life! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

IPO has consumed my life!

I find myself at work thinking about left turns, sits in motion and good full grips! Hahah I think I have a problem!

I've spent the last 10 months or so training my dog Anna (or her training me) in this sport, and though we aren't as flashy as some other dogs I see, I am extremely happy with our progress and how we look!! Just wanted to share

~ANNA~ - YouTube

This is a video of all of my hard work! Countless hours, hahah frustration, problem solving, accomplishment and all of the above
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 07:25 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

I can't watch the video, but, this is a very addicting sport.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 TR3 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 07:41 PM
Crowned Member

I'm still on my first dog, and the addiction hasn't waned. It is consuming....and if the dog has an issue where training is put on hold, watch out.
Now I know why others have a couple of dogs to work, though I can't add to my pack for quite some time.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 08:00 PM
Master Member

It is a very addictive sport.

It looks like you and your dog are enjoying yourselves, But, why would you ever call a dog out of a sit?

Art

post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 08:09 PM
Crowned Member

I can't watch the video. Why can't you call a dog out of a sit
post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 08:20 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalachka View Post
I can't watch the video. Why can't you call a dog out of a sit
During an IPO routine when is a dog ever called from a sit? Never. So it is not something that you need. What problems can you create by calling the dog from a sit? Many. And in the sit you obviously don't have as much pressure on the dog as in a down (where you do call the dog) to maintain the position.
So why create problems in an exercise when there is no reason to create those problems? It doesn't make sense.

Art

post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 08:23 PM
Master Member

In other unstable positions, like the stand, there is typically pressure in the training to make and maintain the position but the dog is (usually) not called from that position in training to release that pressure so the pressure is maintained.

Art

post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 08:25 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zahnburg View Post
In other unstable positions, like the stand, there is typically pressure in the training to make and maintain the position but the dog is (usually) not called from that position in training to release that pressure so the pressure is maintained.
I have questions but I won't flood this thread, i will ask in mine
post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

IPO has consumed my life!

....lol because I wanted her to come to me? I'd like my dog to have a recall from every position, even me standing behind her with her back to me so that she can't see me, she is my pet/companion first and foremost, she does not live in a box all day, nor did I even buy her for IPO, I do different things to keep her engaged and keep her thinking, it's my choice
post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 08:59 PM
Crowned Member

If you did that(recall from the sit or stand) training with my TD, you'd get yelled at, lol....recalls aren't done from certain positions for a reason. Holding position is much more important than recalling to front when it comes to the positions. Recall is of course very important too. So is Platz, but that word is only used in trial 2x's during certain exercises....DQ'd in any other context.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page