Too soon for IPO/ScH? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-20-2014, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

Too soon for IPO/ScH?

Hello all,
I am a new owner of a 12 week old GSD (first time owner of GSD as well). I am visiting a club tonight to get the feel for training and whether Ivy and I would be a good fit. My question is: Am i being premature? Is it too soon to get her involved in training? Do I need to wait until she is a certain age? I am thankful for any advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-20-2014, 04:27 PM
Elite Member

You can start training as early as you want-- purely motivationally on the obed & tracking.

My concern would be whether your puppy has had all of her shots yet at 12 weeks. Please ask your vet if it's ok for her to be around other dogs.

The protection phase will be fun rag play with the other puppies.

Does Ivy like tug games?
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-20-2014, 08:50 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

I would talk to the club and see what they say about when to start her and what you should be doing with her.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-20-2014, 10:18 PM

not all clubs want puppies. Our has a bunch of puppies. It is fun watching them grow into the sport. We started just before the third set of shots. Watch the trainer. See how they feel about the extra work of puppies. See if you like hanging out with the folks in the club. You'll be seeing them at least once a week so you have to enjoy their company.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-21-2014, 06:13 AM
Elite Member

I hadn't thought of that--some clubs not being puppy friendly.

In any case, you can be teaching Ivy her basic obedience commands using food or a toy, wgphichever she likes better.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-21-2014, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

I reached out to a club director and was invited to observe last evening. There were quite a few puppies there, which was reassuring for me. Wow. Watching the dogs work reinforced the reason I wanted this breed in the first place. I was treated warmly and welcomed. I have 2 other clubs to check out, but what is clear is that I am hooked! I cannot wait to get started!
Ivy is up to date on shots- thanks for the guidance. I will post progress reports!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-21-2014, 05:22 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Sounds like a great first experience. IPO/SchH is very addicting so beware. LOL

Lisa Clark

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 05:56 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhczth View Post
Sounds like a great first experience. IPO/SchH is very addicting so beware. LOL

Yes, but it's a good addiction!

I'll be waiting to hear about Ivy's first night of traning. You will also want to find out where & when members meet to track, generally in the mornings.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 06:12 AM

We brought our pup out to our regular meeting this weekend. He gets excited when he starts seeing us into our field clothes. If we get on the computers a bit before heading out he flops down onto the floor and huffs.

He did well in tracking, was a bit lazy in obedience (partly the handler's fault, partly the heat) and rocked protection.
Hopefully your dog will get excited about it, too.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

I will certainly post our experience on "the first day of school". I assume I'll just need a leash/collar early on? Any other initial equipment needed at this stage of the training?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page