German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Schutzhund/IPO Training (https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/schutzhund-ipo-training/)
-   -   PetsMart/iPO question (https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/schutzhund-ipo-training/487593-petsmart-ipo-question.html)

daviddrena 09-11-2014 03:23 PM

PetsMart/iPO question

Quick question?? If I take my puppy to the PetsMart for training ( obedience classes), will it hinder him later in IPO training.

Steve Strom 09-11-2014 03:28 PM

Probably not, but its probably not going to help either.

DJEtzel 09-11-2014 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Strom (Post 6012265)
Probably not, but its probably not going to help either.

:thumbup:

Youreamonkey274 09-11-2014 04:03 PM

I took my pup to the puppy obedience class at PetSmart when she was 11 weeks old, strictly for socialization, because I didn't know anyone else that had a dog she could socialize with. The first day of class, they saw that she could do everything she would have "learned" in the puppy class, so they switched us to the intermediate class. I don't know much about IPO, but in my personal experience with the PetSmart "training", the only thing that could possibly hinder more advanced training would be the way they teach heeling. Their heeling is pretty much nothing more than loose leash walking. At the time I was taking the class, I was working on more of a competition heel with Zelda (at home)...like this:

So I hadn't even started forward motion while heeling on the day we started heeling at the petsmart class. And I didn't want to screw up all of the work I was doing at home, so I tried to explain that to the trainer at petsmart. She kind of just rolled her eyes and looked at me crazy. I just sat out whenever the class was heeling lol. On graduation day for her intermediate class, during her test, the trainer and the other people in the class were quite impressed when I placed my 19 week old puppy 10 ft in front of me and said "FUSS!" And she walked right in front of me, did a left finish into the heel position, and then we walked down the aisle :) Everyone who had probably thought I was being stuck up and crazy for not heeling during class, finally understood. I'm not gonna lie....it was quite awesome lol :tongue:

lhczth 09-11-2014 04:49 PM

If your goal is IPO then you want a good foundation of correct obedience on your pup. You are not going to get that at PetSmart. :)

Blitzkrieg1 09-11-2014 05:04 PM

A blind monkey could run a petsmart training class. Get about the same results as most of the trainers there too..

Pax8 09-11-2014 07:01 PM

42 Attachment(s)
If you want to do IPO, I would go to an IPO club. Not Petsmart. I work there as a trainer right now. Petsmart training is geared towards strictly pet dogs. It won't teach the techniques needed for competition.

llombardo 09-11-2014 07:08 PM

I think I could scream everytime that I see people put down theses trainers at Petsmart. There are some really good ones if you look. Some of them actually love their job and do it because they love it not for a paycheck. My dogs and I learned more there then any other place including the GSD club. It's different kind of training completely. The GSD club just kinda threw you out there and you watch and learn. My Petsmart trainer takes the time to address issues that she sees and concerns people have about their dogs. She spends one on one time with you and is always available to answer questions. There are three levels. The things that are covered are sit, down, stand, sit/stay for a minute and a half, down stay for 3 minutes, paw, back, front, side, around, stand/stay, sitting for petting, sitting for brushing, , walking through a crowd, leave it, watch , bang bang, walking in pairs with another dog, come, agility(tunnel, jump, and tire), heel, loose leash walking, about turns, right turn, left turn, spin, and touch. All items that are on the CGC test are touched on and the trainer offers an extra class after they graduate from the last class to do a test run of CGC test, then schedules the test do everyone can do it. I don't think that is to shabby for Petsmart training or a trainer. Oh and her dogs are titled in obedience, rally, and agility and they are all therapy dogs(2 Rotts and a pug). Do your research, find out what each class offers and watch a couple different classes in order to make your decision. It can be a stepping stone for your end goal.

onyx'girl 09-11-2014 07:26 PM

Quote:

I think I could scream everytime that I see people put down theses trainers at Petsmart. There are some really good ones if you look. Some of them actually love their job and do it because they love it not for a paycheck. My dogs and I learned more there then any other place including the GSD club. It's different kind of training completely. The GSD club just kinda threw you out there and you watch and learn. My Petsmart trainer takes the time to address issues that she sees and concerns people have about their dogs. She spends one on one time with you and is always available to answer questions. There are three levels. The things that are covered are sit, down, stand, sit/stay for a minute and a half, down stay for 3 minutes, paw, back, front, side, around, stand/stay, sitting for petting, sitting for brushing, , walking through a crowd, leave it, watch , bang bang, walking in pairs with another dog, come, agility(tunnel, jump, and tire), heel, loose leash walking, about turns, right turn, left turn, spin, and touch. All items that are on the CGC test are touched on and the trainer offers an extra class after they graduate from the last class to do a test run of CGC test, then schedules the test do everyone can do it. I don't think that is to shabby for Petsmart training or a trainer. Oh and her dogs are titled in obedience, rally, and agility and they are all therapy dogs(2 Rotts and a pug). Do your research, find out what each class offers and watch a couple different classes in order to make your decision. It can be a stepping stone for your end goal.
I dissagree with the stepping stone into IPO....it may be something that has to be worked on to fix instead.
IF the question was more about IPO foundation which a pet trainer usually doesn't have a clue about...best to get with a club early on and not waste time squashing the drive that the pet type trainer is use to doing.
How many petco/petsmart trainers allow drive building/tug as a reward? Or allow the dog to bark at and push the handler for more engagement?

Liesje 09-11-2014 07:57 PM

I have done some puppy and intermediate obedience classes with my two dogs that now have SchH titles, but I went to a place with a trainer that understood my goals for IPO and how I intended to train, so there wasn't any conflict. I don't regret doing it, it was good socialization and a great chance to proof what I was already working on at home in a more distracting environment. I've never trained at PetSmart so can't speak to the quality of their training.