German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Schutzhund/IPO Training (https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/schutzhund-ipo-training/)
-   -   Helper Work looks like Fun (https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/schutzhund-ipo-training/478594-helper-work-looks-like-fun.html)

Yoshi 08-09-2014 12:16 PM

Helper Work looks like Fun

I'm not asking people to critique the dog. :) But it really looks like that this guy is having fun pretending to be the bad guy. Or at least he seems pretty enthusiastic. Am I wrong here? Is helper work fun? They are called helpers, right? What is it like to be a helper? I know I am pretty inexperienced to this stuff but it sure does look like a lot of fun pretending to be the bad guy and experiencing the dog's power in a safe procedure. But yeah, I'm sure it wouldn't be fun if a dog actually bit into your flesh.

Playing the Bad Guy

Mary Beth 08-09-2014 08:44 PM

:confused: I couldn't get the link to come up. Seems like it would be interesting. I think you are referring to decoys?

Jax08 08-09-2014 08:46 PM

yes, in IPO they are called "helpers"

onyx'girl 08-09-2014 08:58 PM

hidden sleeve/no out = not fun for the helper/decoy. This dog seemed to know the routine. The video looked like an ad for the stud? There is more to being a helper/decoy than yelling and making movement. Reading the dog, less if none body movement and using facial expression alone can be very effective. I think it would be fun! Great rush, but my body is too old to catch dogs safely, but blind work may be doable for an oldster that can't run fast.

Yoshi 08-10-2014 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mary Beth (Post 5884858)
:confused: I couldn't get the link to come up. Seems like it would be interesting. I think you are referring to decoys?

The link works for me. I wonder why it's not working for you? :confused: That's odd. It's a helper acting all bad in front of a dog.

Quote:

Originally Posted by onyx'girl (Post 5884946)
hidden sleeve/no out = not fun for the helper/decoy. This dog seemed to know the routine. The video looked like an ad for the stud? There is more to being a helper/decoy than yelling and making movement. Reading the dog, less if none body movement and using facial expression alone can be very effective. I think it would be fun! Great rush, but my body is too old to catch dogs safely, but blind work may be doable for an oldster that can't run fast.

It could be an ad for the dog but I'm more interested in the helper. He makes it look like so much fun. I wish I could at least have a go at doing it one day. :) You can do facial expressions alone to provoke a dog? Wow.

lhczth 08-10-2014 12:36 PM

An exceptional helper can walk onto the field and dogs will react. They just have a look about their body language that tells the dog, "this is someone I must be concerned with".

gsdheeler 08-10-2014 12:48 PM

I think a "helper" has to really know dogs and be in really good shape. Something that's learnt in years of experiance , impressive to watch.

Steve Strom 08-10-2014 01:10 PM

Hey Yoshi, why don't you go back here and ask them if you can put a sleeve on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqQM...wV8IHg&index=3

If you can get that dog to actually bite, I dare you you not to laugh.

wolfmanusf 08-10-2014 09:15 PM

Helperwork is great fun. You have to put on some acting skills in order to portray the emotion that brings out the behaviors you want in your dog. Also, in my opinion, it is the best way to learn protection work because you see what causes reactions in the dog. The video was a little silly, all the yelling and screaming is actually stimulation for the dog. A great helper can get the same intensity from the dog without all the moving around and threatening.

Yoshi 08-10-2014 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lhczth (Post 5886722)
An exceptional helper can walk onto the field and dogs will react. They just have a look about their body language that tells the dog, "this is someone I must be concerned with".

Wow, although I think it would be more fun doing what the helper did in the video I showed. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Strom (Post 5886794)
Hey Yoshi, why don't you go back here and ask them if you can put a sleeve on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqQM...wV8IHg&index=3

If you can get that dog to actually bite, I dare you you not to laugh.

The dog doesn't seem quite as excited as others I've seen in videos, but isn't this dog just training at the moment? I wish I saw these videos before. I wouldn't mind going and asking but they are in a different state! :p

Does the lack of excitement mean that the helper is not doing a good job or is the dog just training or just not good?