Helper Work looks like Fun - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-10-2014, 09:28 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
Wow, although I think it would be more fun doing what the helper did in the video I showed.



The dog doesn't seem quite as excited as others I've seen in videos, but isn't this dog just training at the moment? I wish I saw these videos before. I wouldn't mind going and asking but they are in a different state!

Does the lack of excitement mean that the helper is not doing a good job or is the dog just training or just not good?
The dog in the video didn't seem like a very strong dog, so I can't comment on the helperwork. The dog couldn't have bitten the arm any softer than what it did. Almost looked like how a retriever would get a bird with a soft mouth.

Lack of excitement is all about your goals. If you are doing schutzhund you want a dog that shows a lot of "power" and intensity. Dogs that are able to achieve this usually have a good mix of good genetics and good training.

Check out my website dedicated to IPO/Schutzhund:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wolfmanusf is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Yoshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Australia
Posts: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmanusf View Post
The dog in the video didn't seem like a very strong dog, so I can't comment on the helperwork. The dog couldn't have bitten the arm any softer than what it did. Almost looked like how a retriever would get a bird with a soft mouth.

Lack of excitement is all about your goals. If you are doing schutzhund you want a dog that shows a lot of "power" and intensity. Dogs that are able to achieve this usually have a good mix of good genetics and good training.
Thanks for that Wolfmanusf. Can a hard bite be trained or is that genetic?
Yoshi is offline  
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 09:31 AM
Crowned Member
 
hunterisgreat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 3,788
Of course its fun or why would anyone do it? Most are not paid. Even the best paid ones aren't getting rich by any stretch.

$3k per stud? lol

Hunter, CWDC UScA Helper
Beschützer des Jägers v.d. Sportwaffen
Katya v. Hügelblick
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald
Yōkai v.d. Sportwaffen
Arya v. Allrothaus
hunterisgreat is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 09:31 AM
Crowned Member
 
hunterisgreat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 3,788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
Thanks for that Wolfmanusf. Can a hard bite be trained or is that genetic?
Largely genetic, but the quality of the grip can be improved or degraded in training.

Hunter, CWDC UScA Helper
Beschützer des Jägers v.d. Sportwaffen
Katya v. Hügelblick
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald
Yōkai v.d. Sportwaffen
Arya v. Allrothaus
hunterisgreat is offline  
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 11:40 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterisgreat View Post
Largely genetic, but the quality of the grip can be improved or degraded in training.
Hunter is correct. Mostly genetic but it can be improved slightly or made much worse. The same goes for a calm and full grip. It is mostly genetic. A dog that is not full and calm cannot be made full and calm with training. They will resort back to baseline when pushed.

Check out my website dedicated to IPO/Schutzhund:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wolfmanusf is offline  
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 12:18 PM
Crowned Member
 
hunterisgreat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 3,788
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmanusf View Post
Hunter is correct. Mostly genetic but it can be improved slightly or made much worse. The same goes for a calm and full grip. It is mostly genetic. A dog that is not full and calm cannot be made full and calm with training. They will resort back to baseline when pushed.
On that note, "Full and calm" is one of those things I think most people don't fully understand and often take to mean something entirely different from the original intent. Maybe I'll start a thread about it lol.

Hunter, CWDC UScA Helper
Beschützer des Jägers v.d. Sportwaffen
Katya v. Hügelblick
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald
Yōkai v.d. Sportwaffen
Arya v. Allrothaus
hunterisgreat is offline  
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Yoshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Australia
Posts: 292
So how would one improve or degrade through training? Does the helper or handler do this?

Is $3000 a lot? Thanks for the replies so far. It's very interesting.
Yoshi is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome