She's a puppy...

Emily
Skadi, AKA Lady Wolfington, GSD 4.6.12
Grim, AKA Bones , GSD 7.7.13
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-02-2014, 12:48 AM
Banned

We all know a 10 month puppy has a deep bark. Also a deep bark doesn't mean the dog is working in defense.

Sounds like excuses. Plus the OP wants her dog to concentrate solely on the sleeve so it's OK. Different strokes for different folks.
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-02-2014, 12:51 AM
Elite Member

We are all here to learn..

Emily
Skadi, AKA Lady Wolfington, GSD 4.6.12
Grim, AKA Bones , GSD 7.7.13
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-02-2014, 12:56 AM
Crowned Member

I'm not commenting on the OP's dog. From what I've seen, the dog shows enthusiasm for the work at this point. For a frame of reference, this is a video from 2 weeks ago of my little girl. Listen to the different barks as the helper switches her between drives. Now this dog, I call my "house dog". I don't consider to be a stand out dog or anything extraordinary. That being said, she is a blast to work, does everything I ask of her and seems to enjoy it. She goes everywhere with me, lives inside and is a great snuggler on the couch.

Kimber 8.5 months old - YouTube

Last edited by mycobraracr; 07-02-2014 at 01:02 AM.
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-02-2014, 01:22 AM
Elite Member

There is a dog at my club that will bite you for real and barks like he sucked in half a tank of helium.

Bastian the Beast

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-02-2014, 01:25 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg1 View Post
There is a dog at my club that will bite you for real and barks like he sucked in half a tank of helium.
A mal? Every mal I have ever worked has a crappy bark.
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-02-2014, 01:31 AM
Elite Member

Nope GSD, he is a prey monkey for sure. Very hard to put in defense and even when you really push him his bark changes minutely.

Costs his handler who has been to the worlds points everytime.

Have a Mal here to that drops the sleeve and heads for the decoy after a slip, same deal. High pitchy bark..lol.

Bastian the Beast

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-02-2014, 02:06 AM
Master Member

My girl is very much in defense/fight drive when I am working her. However she was started as a nearly five year old dog and her personality is extremely serious. She only now is starting to get a more high pitched bark and starts screaming when we head out to the field to work. It has been an interesting road to try and bring the prey drive up. She has it in other avenues, however, she takes the job seriously when it comes to protection, and I know she would bite someone if push came to shove.

My puppy I am kind of dabbling in getting him into bitework going from an opposite frame. Still a challenge since I got him at five months, basically untouched, but he is one smart little guy. It has already started out differently for me. The trainer I work with strives for a balanced dog, regardless of what you plan to do with them. However there is no doubt what Leia's focus is on. Only way she holds the sleeve after it's dropped is if we either run after the trainer or I run around him in a circle so that she can watch him.

Just so you know, just because a dog works in defense doesn't mean that it causes problems. Leia is my most social dog out of the three that I own, and I know that she is trustworthy to behave herself around people and other dogs. She literally had people walking over her the other day when we were eating on the patio of a pub downtown. Nothing more than a brief glance as they passed by. A good balance is nice IMO. But you can't always judge a dog by its cover lol. Heck, the other day I fell onto my face and Leia didn't drop the bite while I peeled myself off of the grass. >>

However I definitely don't think that man was right in what he did. Here's hoping that it won't translate into the next time that she works. Ugh. I would have been rather furious myself. Not all trainers are created equal. Its why I am stumped on what to do right now since the trainer I work with has moved upstate for the next two years. He says he will try to come down once a month but at the same time its only once a month lol. We had been doing at least once if not twice a week.
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-02-2014, 06:39 AM
Crowned Member

Liz~ Best thing you can do right now is stick with one helper for your girl.. The one that will build her up/tab into her drives the correct way..

Leesa~

Chaos v. Wildhaus, SchH2, OB3 (HOT) Forever in my heart ~ Bismark v. Wildhaus, SchH1 (HOT) ~ Kougar v. Wolfstraum, IPO 1, CGC (HOT)... Oberon v. Wildhaus, BH (HOT)
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-02-2014, 07:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by simba405 View Post
Just don't go to the decoy if he isn't in line with your training goals.

With that said there's nothing more unimpressive than a dog with a high pitched bark in the bark and hold. Or just high pitched bark in general.
First off- IM FINE WITH HER BARK- she's my dog and I really don't care if you don't like the sound she makes

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page