IPO-2 Tracking, Track Layer Questions - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

IPO-2 Tracking, Track Layer Questions

Who chooses the track layer for IPO-2 tracking? Is the layer chosen from a random pool or can one use the same layer that the dog was trained with?

Can the track layer also be a trial participant?

Thanks in Advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 01:31 PM
Crowned Member

Any and all, depending on the trial and club.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-14-2013, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfitzpa1 View Post
Who chooses the track layer for IPO-2 tracking? Is the layer chosen from a random pool or can one use the same layer that the dog was trained with?

Can the track layer also be a trial participant?

Thanks in Advance
The club provides the track layers. It can not be the handler and if it is a trial participant, they can NOT be entered into the same level (IPO2). Because you have to draw for tracks and that is not done until after they are laid.

Frank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-14-2013, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by schh3fh2 View Post
The club provides the track layers. It can not be the handler and if it is a trial participant, they can NOT be entered into the same level (IPO2). Because you have to draw for tracks and that is not done until after they are laid.

Frank
Same level participant makes sense. I've never seen a draw for tracks, probably because I haven't seen more than one dog do IPO2 at a time.

Thanks.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-14-2013, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by schh3fh2 View Post

Frank
So what happens if there is only one dog doing IPO2. Is there a draw between several track layers to lay the single track or does the club appoint the layer?

Can the same track layer lay multiple tracks at an IPO2 trial?

P.S The reason I'm asking is that I'll be doing IPO2 tracking at next trial with our club and want to determine if I it is best to work tracks laid by a range of different layers for practice or stick to one other layer in the club.
Out of necessity all my tracks now are self laid. I'm starting to do one out of my 5 tracking days a week with another layer from the club. I suspect I need to mix it up and use as many different layers as possible.

Last edited by pfitzpa1; 06-14-2013 at 10:22 AM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-14-2013, 01:54 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

I am our club's tracking coordinator and also one of the main track layers. Who lay the tracks at our trials depends a lot on entries and if I am trialing. Last fall I was trialing Deja for her IPO2 and Vala for the FH2 so I laid the 3's, another member laid the 2's and a third laid the FH tracks (poor thing laid my FH2, 2 FH1 and also did helper work). At our trial last weekend I laid the 2's and 3's. We had an IPOFH so our one member laid the first track on Saturday and I would have laid the one on Sunday if needed.

I RARELY run tracks laid by other people except in trials. Maybe a couple just to make sure my dog knows to indicate strange articles. If a dog can run one track layer's track they can run another's so mostly it is for us. My bitch, Treue, only ran two blind tracks in her life. Her SchH2 and her SchH3. If you run a blind track make DARN sure that person knows where the track is located in case you run into problems.

Lisa Clark

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-14-2013, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhczth View Post
I am our club's tracking coordinator and also one of the main track layers. Who lay the tracks at our trials depends a lot on entries and if I am trialing. Last fall I was trialing Deja for her IPO2 and Vala for the FH2 so I laid the 3's, another member laid the 2's and a third laid the FH tracks (poor thing laid my FH2, 2 FH1 and also did helper work). At our trial last weekend I laid the 2's and 3's. We had an IPOFH so our one member laid the first track on Saturday and I would have laid the one on Sunday if needed.

I RARELY run tracks laid by other people except in trials. Maybe a couple just to make sure my dog knows to indicate strange articles. If a dog can run one track layer's track they can run another's so mostly it is for us. My bitch, Treue, only ran two blind tracks in her life. Her SchH2 and her SchH3. If you run a blind track make DARN sure that person knows where the track is located in case you run into problems.
Great, thanks for the info. How important do you think it is to have the articles properly scented (ipo doc says "carried for at least 30 mins by layer") by the blind track layer?

Any idea what "carried" means, could it be just in layers pocket?

Last edited by pfitzpa1; 06-14-2013 at 03:55 PM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-14-2013, 08:08 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

We usually put them in our pockets. I also will put the article that will be laid down in my hand as I am laying the track grabbing the next one after setting the other one down.

I was at a trial where we tracked in bitter cold temperatures. The track layers had only put the articles in a fanny pack type thing since they were laying a lot of tracks. They also wore gloves. The first day a lot of the dogs had problems with articles. Was it the cold, not enough contact with the track layers or a combination of both? Hard to know.

Lisa Clark

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page