Send Out - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 06:34 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Send Out

I'm curious how everyone trained it? I think there are so many interesting training perspectives on this....

J, mom to:
- Elsa - "Da Pookins"
- Medo - "The Beast From The East"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 08:06 AM
Master Member

I prefer to use a small white towel on the ground with the toy on it to mark the spot instead of using a "tree" that holds the toy and is visible to the dog. Always use the center line of the field when training the exercise. If you use one field consistently, look for a natural marker that is in line with the centerline that you can use in the future to send the dog out further than required. Ideally, try to train this on the field you will be trialing on.
The problem with the tree is that is becomes a cue that will be totally removed at some point. With the towel, you can have it larger at first, and then decrease the size of the towel and eventually fade it out. The dog doesn't learn to look for an object holding the toy. Start out with short distances. This exercise is so much easier to train with a dog with a ton of drive, especially hunt drive. Don't worry about the down until you have a solid send out.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 08:18 AM
Master Member

I forgot to say, after you have marked your spot with the towel, hold your dog by the collar and have someone tease him up for the toy and get him in drive and then have them place the toy on the towel so the dog can clearly see where it was put. Have the helper move back behind you and pat the dog up and send him, praising when he goes out to the toy. WHen this is solid and you have a very solid down at a distance, remove the toy, send the dog and down him when he gets to the correct distance. Then walk up to him while he remains down and toss the toy to him without him seeing you toss it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 08:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Blasiole View Post
I prefer to use a small white towel on the ground with the toy on it to mark the spot instead of using a "tree" that holds the toy and is visible to the dog. Always use the center line of the field when training the exercise. If you use one field consistently, look for a natural marker that is in line with the centerline that you can use in the future to send the dog out further than required. Ideally, try to train this on the field you will be trialing on.
The problem with the tree is that is becomes a cue that will be totally removed at some point. With the towel, you can have it larger at first, and then decrease the size of the towel and eventually fade it out. The dog doesn't learn to look for an object holding the toy. Start out with short distances. This exercise is so much easier to train with a dog with a ton of drive, especially hunt drive. Don't worry about the down until you have a solid send out.
This. Placing mat and toy.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 09:34 AM
Crowned Member

I don't like to put anything on the ground. I've found that when dropping something on the ground the dog just gets used to running a certain distance then they start to search for their toy. This happened to one of my dogs when playing at a different field that was longer than mine. She ran out to the distance she thought it was going to be then started casting for her toy instead of running until she was downed.

I now train it by placing a ball in a fence or on a tree. Something that physically stops the dog. That way the dog runs until it's physically stopped or I down it (this method has worked for SAR as well). I also never practice the down on the send out. I want my dog to run as fast as it can until downed. If I down it every send out then it will anticipate the down.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 09:41 AM

I start by finding something to send the dog to such as a fence post, tree whatever and have them put their feet on it. I want the physical contact. I let them see me put the reward at this location and send them from close distances, close enough they can still see the reward. I want them looking up and forward not down towards the ground. I always have a reward at the end. The only time my dog never see a reward is trial day. I do not want my dog losing expectation that the ball is there waiting for him. Almost all of my send-outs are run troughs, meaning once the send out is trained I down maybe one time in 20. I don't want my dog anticipating the down after x paces.

Unless I plan on doing nothing but my club trials I wouldn't limit my training to the same area all the time even during the teaching phase.

Keith Jenkins
Excalibur vom Herrschaft SchH3,FH,StP.3,BH,TD
Breitta v. Schwarzen Kobold BH,TR1
Argus von der Aunkst SchH3,BH,AD
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycobraracr View Post
I don't like to put anything on the ground. I've found that when dropping something on the ground the dog just gets used to running a certain distance then they start to search for their toy. This happened to one of my dogs when playing at a different field that was longer than mine. She ran out to the distance she thought it was going to be then started casting for her toy instead of running until she was downed.

I now train it by placing a ball in a fence or on a tree. Something that physically stops the dog. That way the dog runs until it's physically stopped or I down it (this method has worked for SAR as well). I also never practice the down on the send out. I want my dog to run as fast as it can until downed. If I down it every send out then it will anticipate the down.

lol...did you hack my screen?

Keith Jenkins
Excalibur vom Herrschaft SchH3,FH,StP.3,BH,TD
Breitta v. Schwarzen Kobold BH,TR1
Argus von der Aunkst SchH3,BH,AD
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 09:43 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJenkins View Post
lol...did you hack my screen?

Haha yup! The secrets out now haha.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 10:25 AM
Crowned Member

Nikon has a toy that looks like a large orange flashlight. The thicker end has a cap that screw off. I think it's supposed to be a treat dispensing toy (there's a small hole in the "handle" end) but his Gappay ball fits perfectly inside the large end. He knows to run and platz on this toy (like a giant tracking article). When I get to him I either flip a ball out of my hand, or I unscrew the cap and flip the ball out of the toy. Then we play a little game of two-ball. It's basically like people who put a ball on a stake or hanging from a plant hanger except with my method he has to down/platz and wait, he can't just snatch his toy and run off or run back to me.

I work the platz command separately, like doing long recalls and having him platz when coming back to me and other exercises that show him that "platz" can be done out away from me, not just from basic position.

I don't platz him before he gets to the toy except once or twice before a trial. I feel that needing a second platz command looks "better" than having the dog anticipate and down early, or not having the drive and speed out away from me if we do too many platzs. The drive and speed from one end of the field to the other is my priority. I have a pretty biddable dog though, so I do not worry about only doing a "real" send out once or twice before a trial.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 11:02 AM
Crowned Member

I linked my send out to my retrieves, so every time my dog does a dumbbell exercise, he's thinking send out next. And I always do them in sessions of three usually. I use a small bite pillow as a reward on the ground at the end of the field.

In the beginning, I would do a simple hold and front, then walk my reward you and dog to send out spot and show where I placed it on the ground. Heeled back down field and send the dog and put him up in the car. Take him out ten or so minutes later and have the reward already on the ground for a blind send out. Do a retrieve and send the dog from half field and put him up again. Then ten minutes later, repeat a retrieve and do a blind send out with proper build up, like trial picture with the reward at the end.

I rarely ever practice the down with Aiden because he's so obedient as it is. He also tends to anticipate commands and I don't want to risk losing his speed because he's anticipating the down.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Feuergarten German Shepherds

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page