Where To Start. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Where To Start.

Cruz is about 5 1/2 months now. I've had a peaked interest in Schutzund. I've even thought about getting some tracking skills in to maybe serve publicly (search/rescue). Where do I start? What amount of time is involved in Schutzund training, eg. is it a once a week deal or does it depend on the dog and owner? Cost? I understand Schutzund is like three catagories, tracking, obedience and protection.

I'm alittle lost on this. I have a local Schutzund rep in town and have been thinking about contacting but I don't want to waste their time. Cruz is currently in obedience classes right now and is alittle strong minded at times but has great drive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 04:04 PM
Banned

I find it strange that nobody in your classes could direct you. Find telephone number of the head office for "United Schutzhund Clubs of America" and they will provide you with telephone number of your local Schutzhund club. Make the appointment, show them your puppy, and they will tell you whether he is suitable for the job.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 04:16 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jafo220 View Post
What amount of time is involved in Schutzund training, eg. is it a once a week deal or does it depend on the dog and owner?
This is the only question that I feel remotely equipped to answer, so hopefully some more experienced people will chime in on the others.

The time investment depends on you, your dog, your club, and your goals. From what I've seen, most clubs in my area require a minimum investment of one day/week. That's the absolute floor.

But that's just club time. If you want to develop skill in any sport, not just Schutzhund, you should be prepared to spend a lot more time than that practicing on your own. Exactly how long it takes will vary depending on your own training skill (in general, more experienced trainers are able to do things more efficiently), how quickly your dog learns and how intuitively he grabs onto particular concepts (I have one dog that picks things up at lightspeed and another who needs two weeks to grasp the simplest concepts; however, both of them have different strengths/weaknesses and are sometimes quicker or slower to pick up particular tasks), and how high you set your goals.

If you just want to teach your dog the skills and have some fun, that's probably going to be a smaller time commitment than if you want to title your dog but aren't too fussed about the scores. If you want to compete seriously and hit high scores, then it's going to be a much bigger investment of time and effort.

ARCHMX TDCH Pongu the Insane, CD-C, RE, RL1X6, RL2X5, RL3X2 (GSD mix, b. Apr 2010)
Crookytail the Tigerwuff, RL1, ITD (Akita mix, b. Jan 2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 05:02 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jafo220 View Post
Where do I start? What amount of time is involved in Schutzund training, eg. is it a once a week deal or does it depend on the dog and owner? Cost? I understand Schutzund is like three catagories, tracking, obedience and protection.
I'm really new to the sport but I can let you know that it's more than a once a week commitment. I train 5-6 times a week, go to a club 4 days (I train with 2 different clubs) and try to track 2 days a week usually taking Fridays off. I'm really competitive with myself so I do as much as can to be the best we can be as a team. I know my dogs limitations so don't compare her to the other dogs but also want to compete to the highest of her abilities.

Cost is just starting to add up for me, when I first started I didn't buy much and borrowed what I needed til I got hooked now I'm starting to spend a little bit of money here and there. There are also club fees, training fees, association fees, travel costs on top of equipment.

I'd start by contacting a club (phone calls usually work best) finding out a good time to go out, maybe watch a training day once without your dog then bring him out for an evaluation and go from there.

Courtney M.
SG1
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, BH 07/01/2013
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 06:01 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Taggart View Post
I find it strange that nobody in your classes could direct you. Find telephone number of the head office for "United Schutzhund Clubs of America" and they will provide you with telephone number of your local Schutzhund club. Make the appointment, show them your puppy, and they will tell you whether he is suitable for the job.
It doesn't usually work this way, very few obedience trainers even know about IPO to suggest a direction.
Quote:
Cruz is about 5 1/2 months now. I've had a peaked interest in Schutzund. I've even thought about getting some tracking skills in to maybe serve publicly (search/rescue). Where do I start? What amount of time is involved in Schutzund training, eg. is it a once a week deal or does it depend on the dog and owner? Cost? I understand Schutzund is like three catagories, tracking, obedience and protection.

I'm alittle lost on this. I have a local Schutzund rep in town and have been thinking about contacting but I don't want to waste their time. Cruz is currently in obedience classes right now and is alittle strong minded at times but has great drive.
Get in touch w/ club(s) and find out when you can visit and have an eval. Here is the UScA website w/ clubs: United Schutzhund Clubs of America - For the German Shepherd Dog
I think I'd rather go to a club or two than a 'rep' in your area for an evaluation of your puppy.
The rep may be very good, or not so much.
Oh, and there are 4 catagories~ TRAVEL!! the most time consuming and expensive part of training! If you find a good club close by count your blessings(and your money saved!)

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18

Last edited by onyx'girl; 06-10-2013 at 06:04 PM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Thanks for the replys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page