Jumpers block on the competition 1m hurdle - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

Jumpers block on the competition 1m hurdle

Background story: Our club jump has 3 sections. My dog easily jumps 2 sections and during training for the full height (on the club jump) , she hurt herself. For some reason we stake down the hurdle so it will not fall over and unfortunately if the dog fails to make the full height, they are basically slamming into a solid wall. The end result is that my dog refuses to jump the club jump at full height. I built a finely adjustable wooden jump in my back garden and my girl will now easily and happily jump 50 inches (slightly over the 1m). However she still refuses to jump the club jump. If I really encourage her and run alongside her she will eventually jump it but it takes a lot of excitement and build up to get her to do it. In my back yard she will jump the 50 inches without me even asking.
So I believe she has a mental block regarding the club jump and identifies/associates it with the time she got hurt.

Has anyone got any good suggestions on how to handle this? If I remove the top section and go back to 2 sections she jumps it absolutely no problem, it's only when the top section is on that she balks. The 6ft wall is absolutely no problem for her. I was thinking about maybe changing up the routine and doing the jump first rather than near the end to see if that would make a difference. One other suggestion I got was to get another board (which looks like the top section) and leave it leaning against the jump (like we do with the top section when it is not being used), this might "trick" the dog into thinking the jump is not at full height.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 06:21 PM

Go back and get the club to change the jump. Any dog "slamming: into a non moving wall will cause a setback. See if they can make it where it will collapse when hit and maybe change the wood style on it so she "see's something different and retrain.

Dexter vom Schattendal BH, T1, T2,IPO1,IPO2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 06:40 PM

50 inches isn't slightly over 1 meter it's almost a foot taller.

Keith Jenkins
Excalibur vom Herrschaft SchH3,FH,StP.3,BH,TD
Breitta v. Schwarzen Kobold BH,TR1
Argus von der Aunkst SchH3,BH,AD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 06:51 PM
Crowned Member

How did you train her to jump 50"? Maybe meet with some agility people. Some dogs naturally jump very well but most need to be trained proper technique if you want a SAFE, consistent jump at any height taller than the dog. If her technique is good she should be confident with any style of jump.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

Sorry I meant 40 inches

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

My bad, I meant 40 inches. Please replace anywhere I said 50 with 40, otherwise ppl will think I have a bionic dog :-)

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltsgsd View Post
Go back and get the club to change the jump. Any dog "slamming: into a non moving wall will cause a setback. See if they can make it where it will collapse when hit and maybe change the wood style on it so she "see's something different and retrain.
Thanks that's where I'm thinking the solution is. We use this jump as the trial jump, so at least at training I might get away with a different jump.
I reread the jump section in gottfried dildeis book tonight and I think I got a new inspiration. I've always been running my dog up to the jump and per gottfried this is a recipe for disaster. I did a bit of work afterwards with a 35 inch jump with my dog sitting right in front (about 1ft) from the jump and got her to happily launch from sit over the jump in both directions. First 2 jumps were messy but the next 4 were lovely clean arches. I think I need to go back to basics on this exercise.

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

One other thing I should mention is that I train at home on grass but our club trains on sand. I think launching off sand requires more effort and maybe different dynamic than grass, so this may be a factor.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 10:11 PM
Crowned Member

Yes the surface is a factor. I'm still curious how you trained the jumping. 40/50...makes no difference to me (I watched a dog clear 60" recently). I'd still recommend focusing on the actual technique of jumping and not the type of jump or height of the jump (but until the dog is trained to jump near 40", I would not be using solid wall jumps to train technique).
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
Yes the surface is a factor. I'm still curious how you trained the jumping. 40/50...makes no difference to me (I watched a dog clear 60" recently). I'd still recommend focusing on the actual technique of jumping and not the type of jump or height of the jump (but until the dog is trained to jump near 40", I would not be using solid wall jumps to train technique).
I think I'm starting to realize this. I also think you may have even mentioned this to me in a prior post too when I was asking about moving to the full height jump.

Our club basically trains us to run at the jump from about ten feet back. There's no real emphasis on technique, just make the dog clear the jump. Most of our dogs have problems with the jump, for example my dog refuses unless I really encourage her, another dog has so much dumbbell drive she would break through the jump to get to it and isn't phased by being hurt, another dog working line uses the jump as a launch pad, she is petite, and launches off the wall with her hind legs. Most of the rest of the dogs will not attempt the full jump.

It's a mish mash.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page