Is my dog right for the sport? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

Is my dog right for the sport?

I received my 3 almost 4 month old sable German Shepherd from a friend of a friend when their two sable German shepherds had puppies. I did not know the background information on these dogs or if they were registered or anything, all I know is that the dad was a police officer so the dog or dogs maybe or maybe not could have been a police dog.
My question is should I join a Schutzhund training club here in San Antonio without knowing my puppies background? I am very interested in this sport it seems like it would be a lot of fun for both myself and my dog. My dog and I are very energetic as I am a college baseball player and he accompanies me whenever I go to the field to practice and workout, always running around trying to keep up with me. My parents always tease me when they say I have more energy then my pup since I'm always wanting to go outside and do something when he just wants to relax for a little bit sometimes. He is really competitive and loves to learn which is why I think he would love this club. I want him to learn more things and reach his full potential of being a great dog he can be but I feel like I won't be able to teach him without advanced training. I want him also to have a "job" besides running around with me. I have pretty much got all his basics down so far, just trying to perfect the heel command. I'm only going to be in San Antonio for the summer and then my pup and I will return to school where I doubt there is any type of clubs like this.So with all this said is this sport right for me and my dog even though he may not have any background in this? If not what other training or clubs can I get into to keep him physically and mentally happy? And advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Peter

Is my dog right for the sport?-imageuploadedbypg-free1369510835.359085.jpg

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 06:46 PM
Master Member

Go to the club. At his age, all they will do is wave a flirt pole and see if he has good prey drive. You'll also learn how to do this on your own at home. They'll also teach you how to start him in tracking. Perhaps using a clicker and food for basic obedience. His background is not that important, he is what he is.

More than that, what's more important is what you'll learn about dog training and dogs, and the sport, by being very observant and asking lots of questions. You're also athletic and at the right age to start learning how to be a decoy or a helper. Putting on a sleeve , you'll learn a lot about dogs and you'll be welcome in any club in the country.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 06:58 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean View Post
Go to the club. At his age, all they will do is wave a flirt pole and see if he has good prey drive. You'll also learn how to do this on your own at home. They'll also teach you how to start him in tracking. Perhaps using a clicker and food for basic obedience. His background is not that important, he is what he is.

More than that, what's more important is what you'll learn about dog training and dogs, and the sport, by being very observant and asking lots of questions. You're also athletic and at the right age to start learning how to be a decoy or a helper. Putting on a sleeve , you'll learn a lot about dogs and you'll be welcome in any club in the country.

Too add to this, no one can tell you if your dog is cut out for it our not until they work him. Even then, you won't really know until he's older. Either way if you're interested I would definitely check out some clubs and get involved. Being a decoy is great too. I actually like that more than handling dogs. I have learned way more about dogs by decoying than anything else. I have also learned more about my dogs by training them in protection sports than most people will find out about their dogs. It is a great experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 07:01 PM
Crowned Member

I've had plenty of people tell me that my dog isn't cut out, and we got out IPO2 today. I say try it out, put the work behind it, and give it your best shot. Why not??

Feuergarten German Shepherds

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

Thank you all for the support! I emailed the club and hopefully they get back to me soon with training dates and times! It got me really excited when I saw this club online because this type of action is what I'm looking to do when I get into the Navy after college. Thank you all again for the encouragement!

Peter

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 07:50 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDog View Post
I've had plenty of people tell me that my dog isn't cut out, and we got out IPO2 today. I say try it out, put the work behind it, and give it your best shot. Why not??
Congrats! That's awesome! OP, def take your pup and try it out. I think you'd have fun, careful it's addicting ;-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page