Bark and Hold Help - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 68 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Bark and Hold Help

One of the girls I train with is having some problems with the Bark and Hold, her dog just doesn't bark, ever. At times, there's a strange gargling sound escaping but that's about it. We've tried a lot at training and have worked up to this gargle from complete silence.

Any ideas on how to work on this at home between club days?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Courtney M.
SG1
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, BH 07/01/2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 68 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 09:21 PM
Crowned Member

What type collar/harness is used and do you work on a table or platform? If the neck is restricted that may cause a problem/inhibiting the barking.

You really can't work on this from home, IMO
The helper should be working the dog correctly(in prey) and rewarding the bark to encourage it.
I know showing video isn't something your friend will do, but without seeing the dog being worked, we have no info on what's going on....

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #3 of 68 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Leather harness, no table or platform.

Inca (the dog) is being rewarded right now for anything that resembles a bark but hasn't progressed into a full bark.

I know she's open to getting help/ a fresh set of eyes on things, I'll ask her about getting a video.

Courtney M.
SG1
, BH 07/01/2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 68 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 09:52 PM
Crowned Member

Does the dog bark out of frustration for a toy when backtied(on a harness) at home? That may trigger and carry over into the protection. That is the only thing I'd do at home.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #5 of 68 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Not sure, I know she rarely barks for anything at home. That may be something to try.

Courtney M.
SG1
, BH 07/01/2013
post #6 of 68 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 09:57 PM
x11
Banned

how old is the dog, i was ready to take my dog for a vet check cos i never heard him bark untill he was 9mo and even then he was a quiet dog then at 18mo he found his voice and now won't shut up.

i also seen shuts decoys whipping a dog into a frenzy in the blinds twirling a tug or ball around on a string above their head.

another trick is to have yr dog on the other side of a fence at tease it with treats/ball and soon as it frustration barks or any noise then reward it, even if you have to walk away from it on the other side of the fence a bit and run back and treat if it barks.

Last edited by x11; 05-14-2013 at 10:00 PM.
post #7 of 68 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

She's 2, I believe or very close to being 2.

The whip may work, I don't know why that hasn't ever been brought out. I don't know about whipping her specifically but the sound may amp her up.

Courtney M.
SG1
, BH 07/01/2013
post #8 of 68 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 10:02 PM
x11
Banned

if yr referring to my post i DID NOT mean whip stimulation i meant whipping metaphorically as in amping up/building frenzied drive.
post #9 of 68 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

I thought that was what you meant but one cannot be 100% online. I agree that may be an option.

Ill pass your other idea along as well. Building frustration by other means may just be the solution before putting it together on the field with the sleeve.

Thanks both of you for the suggestions.

Courtney M.
SG1
, BH 07/01/2013
post #10 of 68 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 10:12 PM
x11
Banned

forgetting the field for awhile a lot of interactions around the home will reinforce the idea, eg i can get my not so vocal dogs now to bark for food treats, kind of a fun game. beware most trainers hate it and they think it is total rudeness and a spoilt dog that pushes the owner for a treat by barking, alpha pack status and all. if it is on command eventually i don't see how it is a rude dog dominating it's owner, but i am no alpha leader so....

please consider that dogs get vocal at different ages and be careful what you ask for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page