Tracking/ Protection Training Help!! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

Tracking/ Protection Training Help!!

Hello all,

I am new to this site and I have a 4 month old GSD that is a joy to have around. He has a drive for work always sniffing around and pacing as if he needs something to keep him active. I have been reading a little about Schutzhund training and that is something of interest to me although I am not near a Schutzund Club location. I would love to work with him myself on tracking since I think we have a great connection and he listens well. Also, a little with protection work if it is possible to work with that myself. He already is semi territorial he barks at people passing by as an alert or runs to the edge of the yard and sits and watches as people walk past. We currently are working on his obedience training as he is learning that fast and now I am looking for something else to add to keep him active. As I said I am new to this and any help will be appreciated.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 10:21 AM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

What is your general location? There are many training groups out there that may not be official clubs.

Do a search in this forum and in the tracking forum for many discussions on tracking. I still recommend Gary Patterson's book "Tracking: from the beginning".

The protection work is not something you should do alone. Without experience you will end up doing far more harm than good.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

I currently live in Akron Oh. I looked through the forum and was able to find some clubs that offer training. Thanks for the help I see you are apart of a club out of Michigan I am originally from the Southfield MI area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 08:07 AM

Look at germanshepherddog.com, the USCA site for SchH clubs in your area.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page